Author Topic: The people we meet  (Read 643 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
The people we meet
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:27:42 AM »
My job takes me into people's houses, the other day it was a retired chap and in his study was many stunning shots of planes, naturally we got talking and it was his lifelong hobby; travelling the world shooting planes on slide film

I spent a good while talking and a few years ago he had all 18000 (not a typo) slides scanned and saved as well as printed out, having a look through the prints felt very special and a privilege.

He did offer me some old slide films he said he had, but sadly couldn't locate them and for as much as I wanted them I did not want to put him under any pressure, he did however give me 2 large hardback books, The Art of Colour Photography circa 1972 and The Darkroom Book circa 1982, both full of good info and nice to read a book relating to proper photography and not what settings to set your digi cam to if you want this shot or that shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: The people we meet
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:09:03 PM »
Cool! One of the benefits of being invited into peoples' homes :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
That was very nice of him Kayos, I sure he was excited to share his hobby with someone.  Several years ago someone started following me on Flickr so I took a look at their photos.  Almost every photo was an airplane, mostly commercial jets taking off or landing.  It was as if this person just hung out at airports taking photos of every plane that takes off or lands.  Looking at some of the groups this person was in and some of the people he followed it was obvious he's not the only one doing this.  I think he was also noting the tail numbers of the planes as well.  I know people that are into trains in a similar way.  You can get a book that list every locomotive by its number and it will tell you what engine it has and every specification you could imagine.  There must be a similar book or online database for airplanes. 

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 04:42:25 PM »
He was a little advanced in years shall we say, but his eyes lit up as he talked, the shots I saw were mostly military planes from air shows and airfields

He even had a large print of 2 Russian jets that collided in mid air, stunning work (both pilots ejected and survived)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk