Author Topic: Weekend 7. - 9. October  (Read 5800 times)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
Weekend 7. - 9. October
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:42:28 AM »
Fuji GA645 Zi, Fomapan 100 exposed at 200, Ilfosol 3 1+14.

pampas_grass by Miljenko Vrankovic, on Flickr
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend 7. - 9. October
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 01:14:11 PM »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
Zeiss Ikoflex Ic, FP4+ in Caffenol C-H(RS):

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 03:33:15 PM »
Love the weekends!

Holga shot of a Foo Lion out in the middle of the Mojave Desert on Route 66.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 04:04:30 PM »
Great start everyone!  As a fan of Fluminian's boat shots I went to the marina intending to conduct an exercise in Fluminianism but I ran into a few problems.  The floating docks don't give a high enough vantage point and the boats were too big.  Leica IIIa with a Fed 50mm f/3.5 lens (Industar-10) using Kodak Ultra Max 400 Expired 02/2013.

Old Tug Boat by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

USS Turner Joy by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
A couple of lo-fi group shots from me this week: one beach, one pool. Holga SF120 + expired film. The really blotchy film is (I think) some very old and nasty Classic Pan 200.

Pool by Ed Wenn, on Flickr

Beach by Ed Wenn, on Flickr

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 05:55:33 PM »
More panchromatic film..........

Contax RX / Zeiss Distagon 28mm f2.8 / Ilford Pan-F 50 in Xtol
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 06:39:10 PM »
Excellent shots all round. I love Fluminian's grass and Bryan's boats.

Here's one off of one of the many rolls that were generously donated to me by Adam. This is Sensia 100 rated at 64 and cross processed in C41. I seem to remember my last batch of Sensia being very yellow, but I think that might have been because I turned off the orange mask correction on my scanner. This time the color cast lines up more with what it "should" be (thanks Becky for the Fuji xpro link!)

Ghosts! by Satish Indofunk, on Flickr

Little known fact: Ghosts can only truly be captured on film. Take THAT, d*****l!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:01:54 PM by Indofunk »

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 06:54:42 PM »
Great start everyone!  As a fan of Fluminian's boat shots I went to the marina intending to conduct an exercise in Fluminianism but I ran into a few problems.  The floating docks don't give a high enough vantage point and the boats were too big.  Leica IIIa with a Fed 50mm f/3.5 lens (Industar-10) using Kodak Ultra Max 400 Expired 02/2013.
-8<...8<-

Never mind the vantage point. Your boat images are as cool as mine. ;)
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
My youngest on his 21st earlier this year
Olympus OM1n Velvia 50

macfred

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »
A couple of lo-fi group shots from me this week: one beach, one pool. Holga SF120 + expired film ...

Ed, those are great - I adore !

---
More boats ...

Ship graveyard by Andreas, on Flickr

FUJI GW670iii - FUJINON 90mm f/3.5 - Kodak Ektar 100

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 11:32:39 PM »
More boats ...

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 11:40:57 PM »
-8<...8<-

Never mind the vantage point. Your boat images are as cool as mine. ;)

Thanks Fluminian and Satish!

Nice boats Macfred and Kevin.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
A couple of lo-fi group shots from me this week: one beach, one pool. Holga SF120 + expired film ...

Ed, those are great - I adore !

Yes, lovely shots.

Some more lo-fi? Diana F+ with flash and handheld slave flash on a misty morning. 2nd: sun replaced the flashes, 38 mm lens. Fomapan100 in Caffenol-C-M (rs).

misty morning
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

dam bridge
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

macfred

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 09:11:15 AM »
Great start everyone!  As a fan of Fluminian's boat shots I went to the marina intending to conduct an exercise in Fluminianism but I ran into a few problems.  The floating docks don't give a high enough vantage point and the boats were too big...

Like Flumi said - don't mind the vantage point. Your potographs from the docks are great !

I like hanging around at the floating docks - here's an older one from the docks in Den Oever, Province North Holland / The Netherlands :

url=https://flic.kr/p/oLoucZ][/url]Docks (Den Oever) by Andreas, on Flickr

FUJI GA645 - FUJINON 60mm f/4 - Kodak Portra 400

---

@Kevin : Beautiful colors here !

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »
Nice variety this weekend! Really enjoyed the two frames from Ed Wenn, something about the feel and structure.

New observations from the train:
Neopan 400@1600, stand dev. M4+Cron 50.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »
Loving the boats this weekend and Irv's portrait is outstanding. I was lugging around the Bronica S2a a week ago and caught this outside the door to work. Acros 100 in Xtol.

S2a-Acros-009 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 10:01:37 PM »

Already some snow in your neck of the woods?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 10:10:02 PM »

I'd be surprised if there were a season without snow up there! :D

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 01:09:13 AM »
Satish like you've never seen him / paper neg tests

So I'm continuing to do paper negative tests in my 4x5...There are so many bizarre things here I'm not sure where to begin

- the developer was exhausted so it created these weird brown speckles on the negs, plus some cloudy film that I had to rub off; that's why there are all those white specks, which I cleaned up around the face except for the left eye on the interior (right side) shot which was beyond my PS skills

- what I first thought was a very dark skin tone in the interior shot compared to the exterior shot I now realize is the same skin tone; the impression is still there because of the background and something... but if you compare the tonal values they're basically the same: dark (I actually want this and expected this because orthochromatic)

- the interior shot is dark on the left side of the face which was the side I expected to be light with the beauty dish, with the right side brought up with a couple bursts of flash which turned out made the face on that side brighter than the beauty dish side (so much for my exposure value readings of the light -- I think because the beauty dish is tungsten, i.e., reddish light and it just didn't register on the paper)

- the exterior was made with multiple flashes only

- and, oh yeah, the most bizarre thing: young Denzel Washington / old coal miner
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:12:21 AM by hookstrapped »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 01:27:11 AM »
I don't think I'd recognize myself in the left (outdoor) shot ;D

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »

I'd be surprised if there were a season without snow up there! :D

Haha! True that, always snow somewhere  up here. Then again, it´s further to the far north of Norway from Oslo than it is to Rome.
Oslo just started to get it´s autumn colours  ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 10:42:46 AM »
Woah - amazing mix this weekend.

Astrobeck's Foo Lion, Imagesfrugales' first one and Irv's portrait of his son are standouts for me - but there isn't one that I would be proud to have taken or have hanging on my wall.

Mine are a few from a recent weekend trip to the Peak District in the UK. Shot in the hills above Castleton and next to the Blue John Mines, I was using my Hassy 503cx, an A24 back loaded with very out of date Tri-X in 220.  Things went wrong straight away when I wound past the line up markets on the film cassette and then wound the film (without realising it) until it had reached almost half way.  I started shooting (at 200 ISO) and had a lab process it for me. 

Only about half of the 12 or so shots I took have produced anything and the scans are very low contrast - not at all what I expected from Tri-X (even old stuff). There was also some overlapping of frames, though only one or two, so I'll be getting the gearing on the back checked. I tweaked them in Lightroom and then in Silver Efex Pro2 to get a sepia tint. I'm really not sure whether to laugh or cry.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 02:53:06 PM »
staying fully analog this weekend.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 03:22:23 PM »
Fantastic shots this weekend!
Love Reinhold's sunflowers and Ed's first photo.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »
Still weekend over here.
One from the forest. Mint SLR670; IP black and white emulsion lift

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 04:13:47 PM »
Ah! Someone has the Mint SLR670! Is it worth the hype? (Not that I'm going to get one; I'm just curious because Mint has been spamming me constantly with it ;) )

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
Ah! Someone has the Mint SLR670! Is it worth the hype? (Not that I'm going to get one; I'm just curious because Mint has been spamming me constantly with it ;) )

Good question. I find it great to be able to control the exposure (always had issues with exposing instant film correctly) and to use 600 as well as 100 film. However, it really is very expensive. I went for it as I wanted to get only one instant camera and could finance it by selling another camera I didn't need any more. Somehow that made the prize a bit less painful. The manual mode helps to balance inconsistencies in the impossible film. Often I take one exposure, wait how it looks and then adjust the exposure time for the following ones.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »
Late's landscapes:
Hi Paul
I've been waiting to see the results of the 503cx since you got it - and I wasn't expecting this. Clearly, it has a gearing issue which needs to be sorted, but.... I think that the second shot of the mountains is great. I really like mountain ranges which appear stacked and this has that feature in spades (whether actually there or not).

So while I appreciate these may not be as pre-visualised or even wanted, they do have a charm. And personally, I'd put another few rolls through it before I had it repaired, just to see what comes out. I mean, it's not as if you don't have a second camera to have with you to record the scene as it really is.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »
Late's landscapes:
Hi Paul
I've been waiting to see the results of the 503cx since you got it - and I wasn't expecting this. Clearly, it has a gearing issue which needs to be sorted, but.... I think that the second shot of the mountains is great. I really like mountain ranges which appear stacked and this has that feature in spades (whether actually there or not).

So while I appreciate these may not be as pre-visualised or even wanted, they do have a charm. And personally, I'd put another few rolls through it before I had it repaired, just to see what comes out. I mean, it's not as if you don't have a second camera to have with you to record the scene as it really is.

Cheers David. I don't dislike the end result as much as I'm surprised that I managed to screw up loading a film back and that the film proved to be in such poor condition anyway. Nevermind, the 503cx is working fine and I've got a number of A12s in first class condition. I'm a bit disappointed as the rest of what I shot in the Peak District is digital and I won't be going back there anytime soon. 

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »
One more boat. Isn't this the boat's week?  :)

Exa 1b
Flektogon MC 20 1:2.8
Kodak Color 100 (GA 100-7)
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

macfred

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 09:41:13 PM »
One more boat. Isn't this the boat's week?  :)

Sure, it is ...

Sailing vessel - detail by Andreas, on Flickr

NIKON F4 - Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/2.8 - FUJI Provia 100F

---
Beautiful photograph, MacArron !

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 10:07:58 PM »
Late's landscapes:
Hi Paul

Cheers David. I don't dislike the end result as much as I'm surprised that I managed to screw up loading a film back and that the film proved to be in such poor condition anyway. Nevermind, the 503cx is working fine and I've got a number of A12s in first class condition. I'm a bit disappointed as the rest of what I shot in the Peak District is digital and I won't be going back there anytime soon.
Where did you go in the Peak District?  I could have given you soon good places because it's my photography playground

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 10:47:32 PM »
Hi Gary,
I'll have to remember next time. I'm from Stockport originally, so I know it reasonably well from the time before I moved away but someone with current and extensive knowledge is ideal.  I was above Castleton at the Blue John Mines.
Regards,Paul.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »
I'm really not sure whether to laugh or cry.

I really like the results, would look great as a large print on the wall  :)