Author Topic: Printer Paper  (Read 1991 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Printer Paper
« on: August 03, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »
I have purchased my Epson printer and am now looking at what papers to print on. Obviously I am talking about printing images taken with film cameras as I hardly shoot the other stuff at the moment.

I am looking for archival quality, matte fine art papers - Hahnemuhle Photorag seems to be the obvious choice, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Printer Paper
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:11:39 AM »
Charles,

I can't remember the magazine but there was a review of a number of papers and Hahnemuhle and Permajet fibre-based baryta papers were top of the shop.  I haven't used either but I have seen examples and they are very good.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »
hahnemühle baryta satin 300 (my favourite)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
All i have used is the old (and now extinct) ilford matte. But you might be able to still find some old stock somewhere.
I know a guy who gets his paper from a small mill in the states. From memory, it's called Red River paper. He says it's cheaper than hannemuhle and seems to be very satisfied with it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:05:11 PM »
I have one pack of Ilford Matte left, it's very nice. I'm planning to check out some of the Canson papers, they have a nice range and a somewhat more sensible pricing than Hahnemühle.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:32:17 PM »
Depends on the look you are after...but I love the depth and tonality of HM Photorag 308 using my Epson and the Piezography K7 inkset when displayed behind glass.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:11:13 AM »
I would get one of those test packs with 1 sheet of every type and just test them out. Some time ago I got the Hanemühle test packs and there are some very nice papers in there. Recently I ordered an Awagami Washi paper test pack. Again some very nice papers. I find especially their hand made washi paper (Bizan medium) absolutely beautiul, but it is way out of my price range for normal printing. I might get a single sheet if I want to print a long time keeper.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:15:18 AM by ManuelL »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 09:07:53 PM »
Been going through the same experimental phase with paper. I've tried a few of the less expensive options, and thus far I have to say that the stuff I got from Red River Paper has been the best of the lot. Both Leonore and I printed our postcards for the exchange on it, hers on 88lb. Polar Matte and mine on San Gabriel Baryta 2.0. The biggest difference between RR and some other budget papers is the blacks, which are deeper on the RR stuff than anything else I've tried.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
I hear of Red River Papers from the boss of a local camera club and he absolutely swears by it.
He says it's cheaper than the competition and available in more sizes.
He buys it in rolls for a large format printer and he says the selection in that format is impressive.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.