Author Topic: In Praise of 6x9  (Read 6164 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
In Praise of 6x9
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:40:46 PM »
Okay, I know the aspect ratio of 6:9 is the same as 24:36 (35mm), so it's almost impossible to tell the difference when viewing online. BUT, I just read two posts that were talking about 6x9 cameras and I have to say, I just love the format. I remember the first time I held a 6x9 transparency that I got back from the lab. I held it up to the light and I had "that feeling". You know the one. "WOW!!!" It wasn't even a great photo, but jeez, Velvia as big as your hand is just something to behold. So if you love 6x9 film and cameras, post and example or five.

Here's that Velvia shot:

\
vegas in-n-out by James Harr, on Flickr

Another of my favorite films (Acros):

Salk 04 LInes by James Harr, on Flickr

And here is the camera:

Voigtländer Bessa by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: In Praise of 6x9
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »
A favorite numerical combination
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:08:57 PM by hookstrapped »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:52:35 PM »
I'll see your 6x9 and raise you to 6x30!! :o

Mount Beacon in EXTREME PANORAMA by Satish Indofunk, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:54:17 PM by Indofunk »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »
I don't shoot slides, but I find 6x9 quite nice for the exceptional texture rendering it is capable of. For example:

Doesn't look too special, but now look at the full-size version:

I know, it's enormous - sorry. In any case, it doesn't make a big difference for normal online posting, but it's a whole different story when printing.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 06:50:31 PM »
I'll admit that 6x9 is a bit longer than my favourite format, which is more sort of squarish.  But I do get a buzz when I manage a shot that doesn't waste any corner space.  These two are pinhole shots (obviously), taken with a Graflex "23" film back - the best of a roll of 120 Acros.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:53:02 PM »

I know, it's enormous - sorry. In any case, it doesn't make a big difference for normal online posting, but it's a whole different story when printing.

If you ignore for a moment the fact that only 5% of the image is visible at any one time ...  ;D

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »
yeah!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:02:12 PM »
In any case, it doesn't make a big difference for normal online posting, but it's a whole different story when printing.

Yeah, you can even contact print these beauties and get good results.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:19:52 PM »
I always find big slides to be quite an experience. Seen some once and it was just wow.

It used to be a popular format because of that: they contact print very well.
And now with the superlative quality of modern film and the good quality of lenses, it's hard to beat. Portable yet incredibly nice.
Too bad all I got that takes it are box cameras...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:38:44 PM »
I had a Moskva that shot 6x9.  Great format, lousy camera.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 08:40:21 AM »
I've got a 6x9 Cambo back which fits the Tutone 5x4 camera that Sandeha built.  I think it will be seeing some action in the Forest of Dean shortly....

I've got some Velvia in 220 format, so I may also use slide film for the first time in a while.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Terry

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 07:21:39 PM »
While you're in the forest say hello to Dennis Potter's ghost...

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »
While you're in the forest say hello to Dennis Potter's ghost...

Bit cryptic for me, Terry.  Not sure of the connection......

Terry

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 02:23:43 PM »
Sorry about that!  He's one of my favorite screenwriters--most well known for "The Singing Detective" (the original BBC program with Michael Gambon, not the Hollywood travesty by the same name).  He grew up in or near the Forest of Dean.  The signature scene from the show was Philip Marlowe as a small boy sitting high up in a tree in the forest saying "When I grow up I be going to be detective..."  When I think of the Forest of Dean that's what I see.  I've often thought I'd like to spend some time there, based on what little I've seen of it.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 04:44:26 PM »
Ahhhh....right!

Yes, I was also a big fan of the man and "The Singing Detective" was something I watched every week when it was first aired.  I didn't know he grew up there.  I'll have to watch for his ethereal presence  :o

It is a beautiful place and PeterR was also born and bred there.....

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 05:09:17 AM »
Bumping this up with some color shots.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 05:10:54 AM »
"Front Row"

6cmsquare

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 02:38:15 PM »
I have to agree with you, 35mm, and even 6x4.5, even though they are the same aspect ratio, just don't do it for me.  6x9 is by far my film format to shoot, followed closely by 6x12. Here's a good friend of mine, just before an incredible dinner party we shared, with our hostess Diana Michener.
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 05:04:16 PM »
Nice shots. SLVR, I do love a turquoise Chevy. 6cmsquare, you might change your screen name to 3by2mediumformatrectangle.  :P I like the portrait. What camera?
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 05:38:49 PM »
I just printed the shot I posted above as an 11x17. The difference over a 35mm shot at the same size is astonishing.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
Every time i go out to shot the Fuji GW690III is there
This is Foma 400 and it has handled the highlight and shadows great and there is great detain in the gates when you zoom in

20 years out of date Fuji NPS160

Terry

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
All things considered, the bigger the neg the more I like it.  I just shot some 4x5s on Ektar and the depth of information (as it always does!) blew me away.   Went and made a cup of tea and drank it all while the computer was chunking away photoshopping it but the result was well worth it.

mhcfires

• 35mm
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 11:39:27 PM »
I love this format. I just received a Medalist II in very good condition. I shot a very old roll of Verichrome Pan (exp 1969) so that I could use the spool. I didn't want to waste the film and was able to see how good the shutter and lens are. Film was quite foggy, but I have a few spools of HP5+ and some TX400 to respool and shoot. I also have some expired Ektachrome which I will probably put through it soon.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »
I have to agree with you, 35mm, and even 6x4.5, even though they are the same aspect ratio, just don't do it for me.  6x9 is by far my film format to shoot, followed closely by 6x12.

Just a tiny clarification here, 35mm (24x36) and 6x4,5 do not have the same aspect ratio. 35mm has the same aspect ratio as 6x9 (2:3), but 6x4,5 has a ratio of 3:4.
Although 6x9 is grand I must confess that I prefer the squarer formats like 6x4,5 and 6x7. But I use them all and enjoy this thread. Keep them coming!  :)
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

macfred

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »

Just a tiny clarification here, 35mm (24x36) and 6x4,5 do not have the same aspect ratio. 35mm has the same aspect ratio as 6x9 (2:3), but 6x4,5 has a ratio of 3:4.
Although 6x9 is grand I must confess that I prefer the squarer formats like 6x4,5 and 6x7...

I agree !

I love my FUJI GA 645 (I have two of these nice cameras) and my FUJI GW670iii !
Had a GW690ii for a little while (great image quality !) - sold it because I do not like the 2:3 aspect ratio.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 10:14:17 PM »
Here's a shot from a roll of Ektar 100 i had developed today shot with my Fuji GW690III

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »
Holy c***, that is sharp and smooth!
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »
I have nothing but love for 6x9. I'm not sure I have any cameras left that shoot that format, but I used to have 2 or 3 and you're right about seeing a neg/slide for the first time. It's a thing of beauty. Contact printing with them is awesome too and a great way for those of use without enlargers to have fun making prints with POP and/or any other alt-ish process.

FWIW, I had the Moskva 6x9 camera and thought it was amazing. Here's a Moskva 6x9 shot from years ago. Efke film.

Crackington Haven at Dusk by Ed Wenn, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:14:06 PM by Ed Wenn »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »
I'm still debating which camera(s) to take on the Forest of Dean Filmwasters "get-together" on 8th October.  Having seen some of the 6x9 work on this thread, I'm inclining towards an inaugural "Tutone" outing with a relatively recently acquired Cambo 6x9 back.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »
Really nice examples here. Ed, was the ruby window missing or just of standard Soviet quality? I like the shot. I'll bet the detail on the negative is awesome. Here's another from the Bessa. I still have this camera, but some of the useful middle shutter speeds have started to stick and I can't get the thing apart to do a CLA. :(

Wateridge cascade by James Harr, on Flickr
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »
Contact printing with them is awesome too and a great way for those of use without enlargers to have fun making prints with POP and/or any other alt-ish process.
Oh yeah! I had totally forgotten that you were totally into POP paper years ago. It's one of these things that's too bad it disappeared.

A message to the New55 group: stop fiddling with instant film, if you make POP, Ed will buy the company! ;)
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »
Here's another from the Bessa. I still have this camera, but some of the useful middle shutter speeds have started to stick and I can't get the thing apart to do a CLA. :(

Which shutter? What part of it won't come apart?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
Here's another from the Bessa. I still have this camera, but some of the useful middle shutter speeds have started to stick and I can't get the thing apart to do a CLA. :(

It's the Compur Rapid shutter. I can't get the rear retaining ring loose. It is reverse threaded??
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 12:18:48 AM »

It's the Compur Rapid shutter. I can't get the rear retaining ring loose. It is reverse threaded??

I've never encountered a left-hand thread on a Compur shutter. You mean the ring that holds the shutter to the front standard? Have you tried solvents in the threads?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 10:51:21 PM »
You guys are killing me. I've been shooting with a Crown Graphic 23 with a 6x6 back for the last week or so (trying to pull a postcard image out of the ether), had forgotten how much fun it is, and have been Googling a 6x9 back. Now I have the itch twice as bad.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 11:17:08 PM »

I've never encountered a left-hand thread on a Compur shutter. You mean the ring that holds the shutter to the front standard? Have you tried solvents in the threads?

Normal thread, but sometimes they get stuck by paint so indeed a solvent may help.  Pray that it's not been cross-threaded.  :-\

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2016, 03:46:31 AM »
Fuji G690 100mm, Ektar

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:02:12 AM by SLVR »

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »
The format is too long for my taste, so I prefer 6*7, but here's one taken with a 1950s Voigtlander Bessa 1:

Silvas Capitalis
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
Woow! Great thread and wonderful photos.
I really should use my Moskva5 more:

campiña by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr
Moskva-5 con Industar 24 105 mm f/3.5
Kodak Portra Pro 160 revelado con C-41

ignacio by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr
Shanghai

I like the format but ... I've got too many cameras ...

Cheers!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2016, 04:23:33 PM »
I've got too many cameras ...

SHHHHHHH!!!! You're not allowed to say that on this forum! You might be banned for life!  ;D ;D ;D