Author Topic: Kohei Yoshiyuki: Sex In The Park  (Read 2748 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
Kohei Yoshiyuki: Sex In The Park
« on: October 06, 2007, 08:46:54 AM »
Kohei Yoshiyuki: Sex In The Park:

Mr. Yoshiyuki was a young commercial photographer in Tokyo in the early 1970s when he and a colleague walked through Chuo Park in Shinjuku one night. He noticed a couple on the ground, and then one man creeping toward them, followed by another.

?I had my camera, but it was dark,? he told the photographer Nobuyoshi Araki in a 1979 interview for a Japanese publication. Researching the technology in the era before infrared flash units, he found that Kodak made infrared flashbulbs. Mr. Yoshiyuki returned to the park, and to two others in Tokyo, through the ?70s. He photographed heterosexual and homosexual couples engaged in sexual activity and the peeping toms who stalked them.

?Before taking those pictures, I visited the parks for about six months without shooting them,? Mr. Yoshiyuki wrote recently by e-mail, through an interpreter. ?I just went there to become a friend of the voyeurs. To photograph the voyeurs, I needed to be considered one of them. I behaved like I had the same interest as the voyeurs, but I was equipped with a small camera. My intention was to capture what happened in the parks, so I was not a real ?voyeur? like them. But I think, in a way, the act of taking photographs itself is voyeuristic somehow. So I may be a voyeur, because I am a photographer.?

did anyone see the show? sounds very interesting.

william

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Kohei Yoshiyuki: Sex In The Park
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 11:21:52 AM »
Ha! I was going to post the same, following the NY Times write-up above. I was fascinated by both the process (IR flash) and the whole scene. Yoyogi-Koen (one of the parks featured), is my local park and I often spend photography time there with friends.

The web (of course) has a few other interesting examples of the work too. I particularly liked the first exhibition was a lights-out affair, and the visitors were given flashlights to explore the works `close-up`. Looking at some of the frames like this would certainly have been interesting! I wonder if this still goes on while I sleep:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 11:28:46 AM by Skorj »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »
I know I learned a few years ago that Weegee had also done IR flash work back in the days. Only difference is he was shooting people in movie theaters while he was disguised as an ice cream sales clerk (it was back in the 50's)...

Times have changed...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »
Weegee did almost all of his flash photography with an IR flash if memory serves. Not just those in the movie theatres, but pretty much all of his stuff shot at night...which let's face it, was almost all of his stuff  :) As a result, I've been meaning to try this out for years.

Great thread.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:09:31 AM »
dont mean to sound dumb....so if its IR flash, would the human eye see it at all??  or is that the point?

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »
As a result, I've been meaning to try this out for years.

I am sure there is a joke there, but I will resist.

so if its IR flash, would the human eye see it at all??  or is that the point?

That's the point... Like the IR focusing on a modern camera, it is invisible to the naked eye. Got a Sony video / still camera? These have an IR sensitive mode called Night Shot, where the CCD natural IR sensitivity is utilized to display an IR illuminated subject. Sony make an IF flash, and you can buy IR floodlights too. Now days, these are a LED-array and invisible of course, sort of like an IR flashlight or consumer NVGs. 

(And no, there are no Hoya yellow filters in my house either!)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:11:47 PM by Skorj »