Author Topic: pinhole conversion  (Read 2894 times)

sausage100uk

pinhole conversion
« on: October 03, 2007, 05:40:54 PM »
For some strange reason (don't ask me why???) I thought I'd have a go at making a pinhole camera. Rather than make one from scratch I thought i'd adapt one of the many old cameras I have in my collection  :) . I removed the Shutter/lens assemblyfrom an Ensign ful-view and attached a front plate made of one bit of plastic, two cardboard spacers and a strip of coke can with the pinhole in it..... now to shoot a roll and see what happens  :-\  :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]
God created Paramedics so Firemen could have heroes...

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: pinhole conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:15:30 PM »
I did a somewhat similar mod on an Ansco Viking Readyset folder.
I have yet to try it because it is a 6x9 (8 pictures per roll... ouch!)

I disassembled the shutter and recycled some of the parts to make a working pinhole shutter.
Inside, there was an arm that moves in an arc when you press the shutter button. I took one of the shutter blades and had my dad spot weld it on. Used a few washers as spacers between the front cone and the shutter blade. The hole is drilled in a piece of stainless steel.

Once all re-installed, you'd have a hard time telling it was even modified :)
On the plus side, I can use the shutter release cable.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »
That looks like a wicked box  :) Really looking forward to seeing your results.

I'm trying to build a pinhole myself at the moment (out of cardboard) and I'm having more fun building the thing than I thought I would. It's a bit too big (10x8) and I'll look like a muppet using it in public but I'm really hoping it works. Test run this weekend or next (depending on when the 0.8mm drill bit and velcro turn up from ebay).

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:48:45 PM »
I've now got several conversions of old cameras to pinhole as well as an original 4"x5" box (since converted to fixed focus lens - another story altogether) and they work fine.  Wide is nice, if you can set the pinhole sheet as far back into the shutter as possible without incurring vignette (though some people like it that way) but some retain the same aspect as the original lens. 

I've put a couple here ... http://www.sandehalynch.com/pinhole.htm

Your Ful-Vue should be good.  I have one, but I kinda like the floppy lens.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:50:34 PM by Sandeha Lynch »

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 02:05:56 PM »
that's one cool conversion. it looks like some sort of space pod. :)  it's so clean too. all my pinhole cameras seem to be covered in black electrical tape. i've been testing out one i made out of a small tin of snoopy and woodstock lemon mints.

william

sausage100uk

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 08:39:08 PM »
still have half a roll in there, need to get some time to take some shots. then Dev them. will post if I get results wort posting.... ;)

mrbryanmarshall

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 04:55:16 PM »
lol - i bought a wallet a while back and noticed over the weekend that the box it came in was almost exactly 4x5 inches...

with a few modifications, i managed to tape it to the front of a Polaroid 545 back and use and empty box as a stand.  I didn't have any Fuji quickloads for 400 film, so had to make do with 50 ASA T55 - meaning that the exposure was about an hour long. Results were interesting and super wide as the focal length was only about 35mm to the film. The shutter was is the cardboard dark slide that covers the neg.

The shot was in my lounge (so not terrible exciting,) but hoping to do another shot outside soon when the weather is better.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 06:51:07 PM »
I am starting to fall in love....with pinhole cameras and its pictures. I have tried several attempts in making one from scratch, other cameras...etc...to no avail. Yours looks rather interesting....and heavy. I am thinking you can stick film inside a sock and take pictures with it. I wish you success and can't wait to see what it yields...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 07:51:20 PM »
This is how I make my pinholes ...

I use stiff copper sheet, cut to the size of a plastic 35mm slide mount. Create a dimple on one side with a ball-point pen by pressing down lightly against a piece of soft wood. Then, using what I think is an Arkansas oil stone (it's pretty fine) abrade the bump gently until a 1mm circular abrasion appears. This makes the bump thinner for the needle. They were difficult to find but I got some numbered needles - mostly I use a #13 which is 0.3mm dia.

Carefully rotate the needle point against the inside of the depression - this is where you'll make burrs if you push in too roughly. The drilling motion is a bit like trying to light a fire, only real slow. Once the tip is through you should only go a short way up the 'cone' end of the needle, don't go right through - the hole is probably already bigger than the needle diameter, so stop. Carefully abrade the bump side again - and then put it on the scanner. Check the diameter in mm under Image Size.

If it's not a circle you can try again gently with the needle. If the hole's too big - throw it away and do another.

Fit to slide mount, use a black felt tip pen in the area immediately around the hole and black paint over the back of the rest of it. Tape the mount onto your box camera.

Alternatively, if you're using an old folder camera, remove the lenses from the old shutter and cut the copper sheet into a circle to fit behind the aperture leaves.

E Voila!  Start shooting.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:03:33 PM by Sandeha Lynch »

sausage100uk

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 03:10:47 PM »
FInally got some time to develop the test roll from my pinhole, only 3 frames useable
due to inadequate exposure time ( and these aren't great  ;) ) what you guys reckon??

Shanghai 100 film dev in ilfosol s for 10 mins btw

[attachment deleted by admin]

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 03:14:42 PM »
That's pretty cool, especially the first one.

For exposure, I suggest you get the Pinhole designer (http://www.pinhole.cz). It has an exposure compensation table maker which takes into account reciprocity failure for many B&W films.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

woodstove

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 02:03:10 AM »
I'm making a kind of pinholgaroid, putting a pinhole on one of my Holgas and using it with my polaroid back. Instant gratification!  ;)