Author Topic: Ondu 6x6 Efforts  (Read 1373 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Ondu 6x6 Efforts
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »
Trying out my new Ondu 6x6

I like it  :o 8) :o

L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Ondu 6x6 Efforts
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 02:33:14 PM »
Pretty darn good.
I haven't had a chance to take mine out because of both the lack of film (I'm going to get some next week as I'm out of 120) and the rainy weather we've been having lately (I don't want to get the camera wet in case it makes the grain swell) .

I know that when I got it I was quite surprised to see how wide the angle was. Not used to anything like that.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

MaxR88

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:46:50 PM »
Pictures are darn cool. Thanks for sharing.

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »
Great pictures inside the set - the third and the bicycle are outstanding. Also, tones are surprisingly nice, wonderful - since I'm a total inexperienced person about pinholes, let me suppose it is the fault of the film and the developer and has nothing to do with the camera, isn't it?

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »
Nice Leon

I like my old ONDU 6x6 too. Have yet to try out my new 6x12/multiformat ONDU. I haven't even unpacked it. 😳
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:24:33 AM »
I know that "it's not the hammer, it's the carpenter" but I just ordered a pocket 6x6 Ondu anyway.

Just curious—does the camera have a built in spirit level or did you guess?  I like the orderliness of the pictures (as well as the previously mentioned beautiful tonalities).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »
Thanks all.

@francois it is superwide! The frame lines on the camera are really conservative! Get damn close if you want your subject to be large in the frame.

@Domingo I am particular about developer etc, but there is a certain soft tonal quality with pinholes. The nice light at the time of shooting helped too of course.

@blaxton yes, it has a spirit bubble level on the top of the camera with (somewhat conservative)  sight lines too.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:34:45 PM »
Leon: I'm not entirely surprised to hear it's that wide. Yesterday, I measured the camera and used the pinhole designer to get the viewing angle. It says 120 some odd degrees (though my measurements were not as precise as I'd like since all I had was a tape measure). The equivalent for 35mm is about a 12mm lens....
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 06:28:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing Leon. This has me wanting to try 120 roll film for pinhole. I prefer a slightly more narrow angle of view, I'm thinking a 40mm FL, Ondu's 6x6 is 25mm. Plus I get much pleasure from constructing my own pinhole cameras. A 120 roll film will present many more challenges than 4x5 but I do like the magnet idea they employ, I'll probably copy that feature to hold the advance knob in place.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »
I tried mine with a bit of cut with film that I taped to the backing paper and found that the magnets on the film spool also keep quite a bit of pressure on the film.
Francois