Author Topic: fiber prints on foam board  (Read 949 times)

MrclSchprs

fiber prints on foam board
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
Hello!

A question that is deceptively simple but bugs me for quite some while ... can you spray glue fiber prints on foam board? I've read sometime ago somewhere that fiber prints need space to breath. Any insights?

Marcel

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: fiber prints on foam board
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »
I don't see any problems with mounting a fiber print on a foam board in itself. But the board will warp as the print's size changes with relative humidity.
But there is a trick to fix that!
Take a bad print from the same paper stock and mount it to the back of the foam board at the exact same position as the print you want. This one will equalize tension and keep the board flat. As a bonus, you can glue the bad print on the emulsion side so that the mistake won't ever show again :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 02:48:33 AM »
I've done this, but haven't been happy with the results long term. If exposed to sunlight or heat bubbles can develop between the print and the backing board.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 05:19:59 AM »
Do dry-mounted fiber prints suffer the same warping issues?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:44:51 PM »
Probably.
I know I have a love hate relationship with foam core.
I love the lightness and relative rigidity of the stuff. But on the other hand when the stuff starts warping and acting strange, it can be a real nightmare. Also, to do a nice cut without making foam balls you need to use an extra sharp blade and cutin multiple passes. The top layer usually dulls the blade too much to get a nice foam cut. That's why I always have a ton of new blades handy when I want a perfect cut. Also recently I've begun resharpening my dad to blades. This saves money and is pretty much the only way to go when cutting EVA foam like I used on my spinner camera box.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

MrclSchprs

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »
Thanks for all the input! Mixed emotions .... I will give a go on some not-so-precious prints.