Author Topic: I just made/fixed ...  (Read 109307 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: I just made/fixed ...
« Reply #400 on: March 16, 2020, 09:31:07 PM »
That's a great way to re-purpose a 220 back.  Nice job Sandeha!

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #401 on: March 17, 2020, 05:08:33 AM »
That's a really pretty looking camera!

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #402 on: March 23, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »
Last summer I picked up an Olympus OM-10 from a street market for 15 pounds. Brought it with me on my vacation, but found the controls fiddly and cumbersome. Seeing that the "real" OMs have the same type of controls I decided not to go any further with the OM system. Besides I need another SLR system like I need the plague. But the lens, a Zuiko 50mm f1.8 is too nice to let go, so I ordered a lens conversion kit from Leitax. All that is needed is a suitable screwdriver and the spring removal tool seen to the left in the picture. This came with the set. The other parts are left over after the conversion. Stop-down metering is the price you pay, but it's OK when you set the camera to aperture priority auto.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #403 on: March 23, 2020, 09:17:31 PM »
Didn't know such kits existed... I'll have to look into this.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #404 on: March 31, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »
I finished my Instafrankenroid yesterday. The build was documented in video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgzRbOfX9Ao

Mark

Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #405 on: March 31, 2020, 05:43:26 PM »
Wow - that's quite an intensive mod - enjoy the camera and I hope to see the results of it on here soon.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #406 on: March 31, 2020, 09:13:47 PM »
Thanks. It was more extensive than I originally planned. I'll be posting photos to the weekend threads.
Mark
Mark

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #407 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:55 PM »
Last year I picked up two Kodak Bantam Specials at an estate sale.  One has a slight amount of mold in the lens but everything else was in good condition.  The other was in excellent condition except the bellows were shot.  Every time I tried to patch a hole another showed up.  I measured the bellows and found something close for sale on eBay.  The only thing I couldn't find was instructions for taking the camera apart to replace the bellows. 

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6181.msg133844#msg133844

After an inquiry on Photorio someone gave me fairly detailed instructions for replacing them.  It's not easy, I spent the better part of Sunday working on it.  The bellows I bought measured 2 inches wide and 1 3/4 inches tall, no taper.  I was able to get them to work, the original bellow do have a taper.  The fit was fairly close in the front, the rear fit great top to bottom but it was small side to side.  Side to side I didn't have enough material to wrap it around the frame so I just glued it really good to the front of the frame. 

The bellows may just barely interfere with the picture on the sides but I won't know for sure until I run a roll of film through it.  There may also be some focus adjustment I still need to do but it looks good on a ground glass.  The film gate that has to be removed has adjustments for fine tuning the focus.  You can't remove the rear frame for the bellows without removing the adjustment screws so it has to be re-adjusted when it's put back together. 

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #408 on: April 01, 2020, 10:42:49 AM »
Cool camera. I like the style of the stripes on the sides.
Mark

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #409 on: April 01, 2020, 02:24:56 PM »
Just do a reverse collimation. It's really easy to do and costs less than a roll of film.
That's how I always adjust the focus on my cameras.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #410 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:00 PM »
In the Mike Eckman piece, "Eleven Unfortunately Named Cameras", he included the Minoltina AL-S (along with its big brother the Minolta AL-S). The Minoltina really intrigued me as I had never heard of it before and it sported a 40mm f1.8 Rokkor. Found one real cheap (under the alternate name Minoltina S) from one of those vintage junk sellers on etsy not knowledgeable about cameras. I figured the leaf shutter would be gummed up and read that they were easy to clean so went and ordered it.

Anyway, part way through the fix a couple pieces sprung out of the shutter and I got a bit confused so put it away. I was sad because it seems like a real nifty little camera. Anyway, I woke up last night thinking about it and decided to give it another try. Success!

The shutter speeds sound about right. Will check them later. The aperture blades are clean, the glass looks great. The selenium cell works but seems to be off, registering things much brighter than they are. Might just set it on a lower ASA or use my Gossen like I do for everything.

The rangefinder patch was almost invisible. I found Rick Oleson's fix of putting a little piece of electrical tape in the middle of the viewfinder and it works. So, tomorrow on my essential exercise walk, I will test it out.

Addendum to the rangefinder patch fix: I was wondering if there might be a more elegant fix -- along the same lines but without the distracting black blob in the middle of the frame. Some people use colored gels, some use a sharpie. So I used a colored sharpie. Much better!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:01:22 AM by hookstrapped »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #411 on: April 01, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »
Great that you managed to find those flying parts to put it back together.
I probably have a few cameras that are missing that elusive little spring or ball bearing that makes the whole thing work...
And some day I'll probably find a small spring or ball bearing and wonder where the heck it goes.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #412 on: April 02, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »
Well, I did have a screw left over when I put it back together. Hate it when that happens. Fortunately, it wasn't many steps back.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #413 on: April 02, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »
That's why I use an ice cube tray to store the screws when I take something apart. It makes it a bit easier to trace back the steps.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #414 on: April 03, 2020, 02:28:59 AM »
Just do a reverse collimation. It's really easy to do and costs less than a roll of film.
That's how I always adjust the focus on my cameras.

Just collimated it using the instructions in the link below, I don’t know if that’s “Reverse Collimation”.  It looks like I had it pretty close.  I have a roll drying right now from before I collimated it, I’ll see if I can notice a difference on the next roll.  I used my Bronica ETRSi to collimated it, that’s the only SLR I have with a waist level finder.  The magnifier helps a lot with my bad eyes.  Re-checked the rangefinder, it’s dead on.

http://elekm.net/zeiss-ikon/repair/collimate/] [url]http://elekm.net/zeiss-ikon/repair/collimate/[/url]

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #415 on: April 03, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »
My usual setup involves a 35mm SLR witn a 210 zoom
The more magnification the viewing camera has, the more precise you can be with the collimation.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #416 on: April 03, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »
My usual setup involves a 35mm SLR witn a 210 zoom
The more magnification the viewing camera has, the more precise you can be with the collimation.

I used a 250mm lens.  The only adjustment the Bantam Special has is 3 screws on the film gate, the 4th screw is not adjustable.  Maybe they only intended to use the screws to level the gate to the 4th screw. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #417 on: April 03, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »
Probably.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #418 on: April 07, 2020, 12:46:51 PM »
Test pics from my Minoltina S

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=10035.0

Kinda amazed it works.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #419 on: April 14, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
Yesterday we had a power failure that lasted most of the day, so I got the bright stupid idea of fixing a long broken Nikkor 28-70 f/3.5 zoom lens...
Anybody ever tried to finish fixing-up a lens with a flashlight?
Anybody ever tried to fix a broken Nikkor zoom? I don't think I've ever seen so much Mickey Mouse engineering in my life!
The focus is fixed and held by a strip of Scotch tape. There are some parts that make no sense. A lot of things are overly complicated. They glued-on the circuit board after the lens was assembled, do that if you need to get to the aperture, you have to dismantle the whole thing. Every friggin screw is held with varnish. And if you tighten the bayonet screws too much, the whole lens stops working! There are also not 1 but 2 zoom stops...
And after working for many hours to take the darn thing apart twice, I did manage to get it to work.
Now, I really pity the Nikon repairmen who have to go through this every day...

This is what my desk looked like at dismantling number 1
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #420 on: April 14, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
That's why I only work on the most basic lenses.  I tried taking a zoom lens apart once, it's in a landfill somewhere now.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #421 on: April 14, 2020, 09:25:03 PM »
What I find kind of crazy is that I once took apart a Minolta lens and it was a dream to work on it. Each disassembly step had different screws in different numbers.
I once re-lubed a manual focus 50mm Nikkor and I was surprised at how easy it was to work on, though not as clear cut as the Minolta one.
But this thing? Sheesh...
And you should see the hair thin springs that control the aperture. Just grabbing them with tweezers induces a catastrophic deformation... and the lens has two of those.
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #422 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:09 PM »
My eyes have grown dim with a fixed focus at about 30 inches. Now if I want to work on small fiddly camera stuff I wear +2.5 readers at least and if it's really tiny then go to a +6 strength! Just about need bright sunlight on the workpiece with a visor to keep it out of my eyes.
Getting old, (but not mature).

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #423 on: April 14, 2020, 10:54:58 PM »
That's why I only work on the most basic lenses.  I tried taking a zoom lens apart once, it's in a landfill somewhere now.

Isn't that where most zoom lenses belong?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #424 on: April 14, 2020, 11:05:36 PM »
Well, some of them are not that bad.

Now if I want to work on small fiddly camera stuff I wear +2.5 readers at least
I did resort to using some 1.25 readers for those annoyingly small springs.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #425 on: May 03, 2020, 09:46:25 PM »
Does this count?

Having lots of time on my hands, I'm getting things done I would probably never have got around to otherwise. So a new tool rack appeared today. Just for my more frequently used camera repair tools that, up until now, have lived loose on my desk. The wood was from a long since gone garden table.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #426 on: May 03, 2020, 09:49:26 PM »
Does this count?

Having lots of time on my hands, I'm getting things done I would probably never have got around to otherwise. So a new tool rack appeared today. Just for my more frequently used camera repair tools that, up until now, have lived loose on my desk. The wood was from a long since gone garden table.

Nice, I need to make something like that.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #427 on: May 04, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »
Definitely looks like a better option than my current plastic shoe box full of tools...
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #428 on: May 12, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
Had a camera sent to me for repair. What a state. Looks like it was stored in a garden shed for a couple of decades. I decided to strip it back to a near bare chassis to clean it.

A bit later...

I think the previous owner thought an oily rag was the best option to clean the mirror

Most of it came off though.

And three days later, everything is looking much better.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2020, 09:05:19 PM »
Wow!
What a change!

I had a filter that had one of those oily residues that even 90% isopropyl couldn't clean. I decided to hit it with some acetone on a lens cleaning paper and it came out the cleanest I've ever seen without any effort. It could be the solution for that mirror.
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
Shed cameras really are the worst (or nearly). Btw Peter, someone was asking me about repairs to the older Contax rangefinder recently. Do you overhaul those as well?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #431 on: May 12, 2020, 09:50:41 PM »
Wow!
What a change!

I had a filter that had one of those oily residues that even 90% isopropyl couldn't clean. I decided to hit it with some acetone on a lens cleaning paper and it came out the cleanest I've ever seen without any effort. It could be the solution for that mirror.

IPA did it. But some of the silvering had gone but not enough to justify replacing it.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #432 on: May 12, 2020, 09:54:14 PM »
Shed cameras really are the worst (or nearly). Btw Peter, someone was asking me about repairs to the older Contax rangefinder recently. Do you overhaul those as well?

Maybe the same person who asked me. I used to do a bit with the post war versions but not the pre war ones. But it's been a long time since I worked on one and would rather not. I don't know anyone else who works on them either.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #433 on: May 13, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
Next up was a Yashica 50/1.4 with a seized aperture. Never taken one of these apart before - what a pain. Probably didn't need to dismantle it as much as I did but it wasn't obvious how the aperture assembly came out. Turned out it was partly glued.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #434 on: May 16, 2020, 06:20:49 PM »
Painted another Hawkeye.

Brownie Hawkeye Green & Orange by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This is all of them.  All the painted ones have the lens flipped and have been modified to take a 120 feed spool.

Hawkeyes by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2020, 09:52:56 PM »
Ooooh!
Nice and shiny...
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #436 on: May 17, 2020, 09:33:46 AM »
Great job, Bryan! Can you elaborate how exactly you went about painting it? Do you use a primer? Do you spray paint? I think that the boxes look brilliant!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #437 on: May 17, 2020, 07:55:02 PM »
Great job, Bryan! Can you elaborate how exactly you went about painting it? Do you use a primer? Do you spray paint? I think that the boxes look brilliant!

It's a lot of intricate masking tape work.  First I take it apart as far as I need to.  Remove the metal front lens/viewfinder plate, take photos of how everything will need to go back together.  It's quite simple but there are some parts that can go in two different ways.  If you have the older non-flash model the name plate on the front unscrews so you don't have to mask that.  On the flash models it's riveted so you have to mask it.  The metal film wind knob also unscrews on the non-flash model. 

Next I remove the film holder which also holds the lens in place.  It's just two screws, very simple.  Some people remove the shutter and buttons but this gets more complicated and is necessary unless you want to paint the buttons.  The buttons have a fairly tight tolerance, I would worry that the paint will make them rub and interfere with use.  On the film holder you took out there's a metal tab on the feed reel side that prevents a larger 120 reel from being used,  Bend that until it breaks off so you don't have to re-spool onto 620 reels, you will still need a 620 take-up reel.  Also, note which way the lens is facing, the tapered side of the plastic housing faces the film, you can flip this when you put it back together.

On the back part of the body the only thing you can remove is the latch/strap holder.  There's a retaining ring on the inside of the chamber, you can push this off with a large screw driver, be careful not to slip and damage anything.  Note how it all goes back together.  The back of the strap is riveted so that will need to be carefully taped up.  Also the red window will need to be carefully taped, also be careful when removing the tape, it's easy to damage the red window. 

Before any taping I clean the camera really well.  I use Dawn dish soap and water then quickly dry everything.  This removes grease and dirt really well.  Get into all the little nooks and crannies.  The problem with Bakelite is it doesn't do well getting wet, it can start to swell and the finish can get ruined.  That's why you need to dry it quickly.  If you use rubbing alcohol do it quickly and stop, this can destroy the finish if you do it too much.

On both body pieces I tape everything that I don't want to get paint on.  This includes the groove parts where the two halves go back together.  Also where the latch rubs against the plastic on both halves of the body.  If you don't tape that it will be hard to open and close the camera.  On the front half I tape up the buttons and knob and the front where the metal plate came off.  Also the name plate and the flash buttons.  Get a good brand of tape, 3M or Scotch, the cheap stuff either doesn't stick well or can be difficult to remove. 

For all the detailed taping an Exacto knife and a tooth pick come in handy for cutting and pressing little bits of tape into small crevices.  After all the detailed stuff is taped I run some wide masking tape across the openings of the two halves to seal them off. 

A primer coat will help make the paint stick much better, less chance of chipping off.  Some paints say they are paint and primer in one but a dedicated primer coat is better.  I usually do two light coats of paint followed by a clear coat when I am happy with the coverage.  Let it dry at least 24 hours before you take the tape off and put it back together, the paint will be soft and easily damaged before that. 

When it comes to choosing colors, I let my wife do that, she's much better with things like that. 

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #438 on: May 17, 2020, 09:08:32 PM »
Bryan, Those really look terrific. Well done.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #439 on: May 17, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »
Also, using a separate primer in a light color will make the top coat pop. Applying color to a black body always turns out dull.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #440 on: May 18, 2020, 12:46:57 AM »
Very cool!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #441 on: May 18, 2020, 02:40:26 AM »
While I had the spray paint going I re-purposed this slide carousel into a clock for my wife's sewing room.   After scanning my father's slides and putting them into boxes to save space I tried to sell the carousels on eBay with no luck.  I have an idea to make a lamp as well.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #442 on: May 18, 2020, 03:04:32 AM »
That's beautiful Bryan! I'm sure you can sell those on ebay!! ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #443 on: May 18, 2020, 02:24:50 PM »
Never thought of doing anything like that.
I had a ton of hanimex carousels that I ended up simply throwing in the trash.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #444 on: May 20, 2020, 07:30:04 PM »
I got this Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic a while back but the bellows were in worse shape than the Dead Sea Scrolls.  The rest of the camera is in really good condition.  I have another one of these with the meniscus lens that is in really good condition but I wanted to try this one with the Rapid Rectilinear lens.  I was able to salvage enough of the bellows to create a pattern.  This is my first attempt at making bellows and I went into this knowing that small bellows like this are more difficult.  One of the problems is getting blackout fabric as thin as what Kodak used.  One option would be to paint silk with acrylic paint.  Instead I used an old film changing bag that had a tear in it that I had been saving for something like this. 

After making the pattern I made a paper mock up to make sure it was going to go together properly and fit in the camera.  My paper model leaves something to be desired but it seemed to fit.  For the first bellows I made I used a thick photo paper.  I printed the pattern on the paper, cut out the pieces then used glued them onto the coated side of the fabric.  This fit in the camera fine but it was not going to come close to closing all the way. 

Next I printed the pattern on regular paper and made the bellows the same way as before hoping the thinner paper would be enough to make the camera close better.  I found that the heavier stock paper made it much easier to fold the bellows but the paper did work.  It comes really close to closing all the way, hopefully with some use it will loosen up a bit and close.  It doesn't take much force to close it down all the way, one side actually latches shut.  At least I can use it now and I learned how to make bellows, something I've been wanting to try for some time. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #445 on: May 20, 2020, 07:30:36 PM »
The finished product.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2020, 09:01:38 PM »
Pretty good for a first try.
I do agree that the fabric looks like it's a bit on the thick side though.
But with fabric stores still closed, you just make do with what you've got.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »
Pretty good for a first try.
I do agree that the fabric looks like it's a bit on the thick side though.
But with fabric stores still closed, you just make do with what you've got.

This guy paints silk, I think that's the way to go.  I bet that's what the original Kodak Bellows are.

http://salihonbashome.blogspot.com/2009/06/bellows-in-silk.html

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2020, 02:53:35 PM »
Funny because I'd be afraid that the paint would add too much thickness.
But I guess that if you go lightly with a spray can it could just fill the voids.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »
Funny because I'd be afraid that the paint would add too much thickness.
But I guess that if you go lightly with a spray can it could just fill the voids.

He doesn’t go into detail on how he paints them but it sounds like he lightly brushes it on until he can’t see light through it anymore.  Not sure if that’s done before or after the bellows are made, probably before since that would make inspecting for light leaks easier.