Author Topic: Silk Road BBC - Instax Camera  (Read 4166 times)

John

• JB Photography Galleries
Silk Road BBC - Instax Camera
« on: May 11, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »
Anyone been watching 'Silk Road' on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03qb1gq/the-silk-road-episode-1

It's a history/travel program. The presenter is writing a journal featuring pics taken on a Fuji Instax. It's a good show, and the camera looks ace.

Terry

Re: Silk Road BBC - Instax Camera
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »
BBC still won't let you view their stuff outside the UK

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:37:58 PM »

This is true. What, is Trump in charge there??

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:36 AM »
I found a somewhat edited version on youtube. Always interested in seeing this part of the world get some attention. There's an older documentary by the NHK (also called The Silk Road) one can easily find on youtube, and it is worth watching, if anybody is interested.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 08:39:34 AM »

This is true. What, is Trump in charge there??

Nope - we've had (and still have) some prime idiots in charge over here but Trump seems to be taking it to a hitherto unseen level. I'm sure a few would vote for him if he stood over here but I'd hope that most would see his populist bigotry platform for what it is.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »
Is Trump a 'populist bigot'? I had no idea he hated Instax pictures so much. ;D

Personally, I really like the idea of this bloke taking Instax snaps & putting them in his travel journal, although I do find his handwriting, if, indeed, it is by his own hand, rather affected. But getting civilians to see Instax snaps in prime time can't be a bad thing. I can't wait for Channel 4 news to use wet plate portraits when talking about our Great Leaders. Trump. Corbyn. Putin.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 08:47:12 PM »
If it's gold plated, you're sure to get the Trump seal of approval ;)
Personally, next to a rapper, I've never seen anybody love gold things as much as him!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 04:11:17 AM »
I'm certain his toupee was woven from straw in hopes that it would turn to gold. :D

I've got my 2x3 film holders loaded with Instax. I should shoot it more.

Actually, I should shoot some tonight and squeeze it into the weekend thread! Way safer than trying to Tor route my way into some BBC programming.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »
Personally, I really like the idea of this bloke taking Instax snaps & putting them in his travel journal, although I do find his handwriting, if, indeed, it is by his own hand, rather affected.

Funnily enough my Dad had exactly the same reaction to the guy's handwriting...and he's an artist  :) Also, the presenter is distantly related to my wife, so her parents have been watching the show too. Everyone's giving it a huge thumbs-up. I need to catch up ASAP.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
The reason I don't think it's his own handwriting is that after I became irritated by it, I noticed that from that point on, I only ever saw the hand - I didn't see to whom it was attached.

But fantastic scenery. Always wanted to go to Iran (which might come as a shock to some US readers) but I really like the people and they have a very beautiful country and interesting architecture. I also love the food.

Iran is a wonderful country - with a terrible government and power structure. Too often our view of a nation is coloured the behaviour those in power, rather the people they supposedly serve.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »
Travelling the length of the Silk Road is probably the highest point of my "bucket list". It connects the ancient Chinese civilisations / Dynasties via the likes of Iran - which is, arguably, the origin of western culture - to Venice.

As you say, the most obvious sign of a bad regime is that the population is subservient to their whims.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".