Author Topic: Tetenal C41 kit  (Read 1521 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Tetenal C41 kit
« on: May 08, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »
I've used the 1 litre Tetenal C41 kits for developing colour film and had mostly good results, however I notice that they've withdrawn the 1 litre packs and just do 2.5 litres.

Does anyone know how long the opened but unmixed concentrate would keep for? I should hate to mix a second batch and find it's useless. What's a good alternative?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Tetenal C41 kit
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »
If you don't mind blix instead of bleach & fix, the Unicolor kit is good. I have used it many times and it seems to last well past the manufacturer's recommended roll count. It works pretty well with Reinhold's room temp method as well.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »
I've had nice results with the Rollei Digibase C-41 kit, and they sell it in 1 litre format - this is a link to the mix instructions.

You can find it in Firstcall for 25.52 GBP or in Macodirect for 29.81 EUR.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:08:37 AM »
I used to split the 1L Tetenal kit into 2x500mL, leaving the other half of each concentrate in the opened containers. It always lasted until I had exhausted the first 500mL and seemed to work perfectly when I diluted it down to working stock. That being said, I did occasionally have batches that mysteriously died, and because I wasn't very scientific about determining the cause I can't 100% rule out the storage of the concentrate.

I've since started using the Unicolor kit, mostly because it's cheaper :P At first I weighed out 1/2 the powder to continue using 500mL working solutions, but then I decided that it's pretty stupid to do that and now I just mix up the full liter. Also, I strongly advise EXCELLENT ventilation when opening, measuring, mixing, even looking at the blix powders. I wouldn't be surprised if I took a few years off my life that first time I poured it out in a completely airtight bathroom :o

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 02:29:35 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if I took a few years off my life that first time I poured it out in a completely airtight bathroom :o

Haha! That took me back to my first organic chem lab. I opened a bottle of ammonium hydroxide outside of the hood. The fumes were like a punch in the face. Always work in well ventilated areas boys and girls!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Terry

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »
I'd theorized about cutting the chemicals in dry form but instead I mixed up the whole liter in liquid form, then I halved that and stored each half in 500mL bottles.  That seems to work well and without any experience of noxious fumes (though of course I do the initial mixing in a well ventilated room and at arm's length).

I just compared the Unicolor instructions with Reinhold's results and they coincide very neatly.  If you look at the rotary-tube developing chart, you'll see that they admit that you can develop at different temperatures by varying developing times.  I don't know if the Tetenal kits have this, but it's clealy printed in the Unicolor instructions.  Tried to attach the pdf but it's too big--you can find the instructions on Freestyle's site.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »
BALLS.  I liked the 1 litre kits.  Bloody EU.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 12:20:58 PM »

what did I miss? how is EU involved in this? a regulation against 1 litre c-41 kits? :P
/jonas

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »

what did I miss? how is EU involved in this? a regulation against 1 litre c-41 kits? :P

The reason Tetenal are scrapping the 1litre kits is because of new EU environmental legislation regarding wrapping and labelling.