Author Topic: Looking for an adapter  (Read 1641 times)

GrainTrain

Looking for an adapter
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
I've done a bit of searching online and have come up empty-handed. I am looking for an M mount to LTM adapter. My GAS has me wanting to pick up a Canon P, but I don't own any LTM lenses. I would love to be able to use my current M mount lineup on the P if possible. If anyone knows where I can find one of these or has any other suggestions I would appreciate the input!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Looking for an adapter
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
Hi GrainTrain.

I'm not sure where you're based but these things do exist (I had one when I had a Leica iiif).  I cannot confirm, for definite, that they will work with Canon bodies as I've not owned a Canon LTM body. 

You can usually get the adapters off the big auction site or via Leica dealers that stock second-hand equipment.  If you're in the UK, try "Aperture" (a really good independent store that sells a lot of Leica) or Red Dot (a Leica Dealer) which are both in London. 

The thing to bear in mind is that you need to specify which lens(es) you'll be using as there are various adapters capable of bringing up the correct framelines for the lens(es).

Hope you find what you're looking for.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

GrainTrain

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
Hope you find what you're looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I'm in Canada, I am not sure if there are any dealers similar to the ones you mentioned near me but I am on the hunt. In the event that I am unable to find or obtain an adapter do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for affordable LTM lenses?

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:04:51 AM »
Hello GrainTrain, you want to use M-mount lenses on the ltm body?
When Leica went from ltm to M as their mount they made sure to design the M so that the distance from the film plane where greater, allowing for an adapter to be use so owners of new M cameras could use their old ltm lenses on it. Going the other way is not possible if you want to keep infinity focus. Both because of the size of the mount and the distance from the film plane. Sorry! Have a look at cheep alternatives - aka the splendid Jupiter-12 & 3, CanonĀ“s own 50/1.8, Industar-61 etc. All which you can use on your M with the appropriate adaptor costing south of $10
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

GrainTrain

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
Going the other way is not possible if you want to keep infinity focus

Well this is unfortunate! You did however remind me that I have a FED-2 stashed away in a box somewhere, along with an Industar-22. Looks like I don't need a lens after all.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:07:05 PM »
Yeah, M->LTM is a no-go (LTM->M is fine, of course). The good news is there are plenty of LTM lenses out there, and prices are down from a few years ago. I used a Jupiter-8 50/2 as the standard lens on my P for quite a while, before switching over to a Canon 50/1.5. The Jupiter-12 35/2.8 will fit, but you have to watch the rear element when you first mount it (open the shutter and watch from the back) to make sure it doesn't hit the light baffles - if it does, just tweak the baffles out of the way. The Canon 50/1.8 was the standard lens on the P back when it was new and is considered excellent; the only thing to watch for is that the later (black & chrome) lenses are prone to hazing that cannot be removed - it's actually etched glass on one of the inner surfaces. The all-chrome 50/1.8 doesn't seem to suffer from this. If you want more speed, the Canon 50/1.4 is also a very highly-regarded lens.

Note that your Industar-22 may not collapse on the P. I haven't tried that combo, but most collapsible lenses will not do so properly on the later Canon bodies.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »
I was about to echo all those previous messages.
But I must vouch for old Russian glass. Most of it is surprisingly good and they're mostly copies of famous formulas.
I have the industry 61 and must say it's probably the sharpest lens I own.

If you go on eBay, you can also find plenty of weird adapters. The most interesting one I've seen so far for ltm cameras is a Nikon f to ltm adapter. The only drawback is that you loose rangefinder  functions.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »
Yeah, M->LTM is a no-go (LTM->M is fine, of course). The good news is there are plenty of LTM lenses out there, and prices are down from a few years ago. I used a Jupiter-8 50/2 as the standard lens on my P for quite a while, before switching over to a Canon 50/1.5. The Jupiter-12 35/2.8 will fit, but you have to watch the rear element when you first mount it (open the shutter and watch from the back) to make sure it doesn't hit the light baffles - if it does, just tweak the baffles out of the way. The Canon 50/1.8 was the standard lens on the P back when it was new and is considered excellent; the only thing to watch for is that the later (black & chrome) lenses are prone to hazing that cannot be removed - it's actually etched glass on one of the inner surfaces. The all-chrome 50/1.8 doesn't seem to suffer from this. If you want more speed, the Canon 50/1.4 is also a very highly-regarded lens.

Note that your Industar-22 may not collapse on the P. I haven't tried that combo, but most collapsible lenses will not do so properly on the later Canon bodies.

Yes, you're right. Apologies for the confusion - I got mine with an M6 when I swapped from the iiif and only had, at that time, a Leica LTM 3.5cm f3.5 Summinkorother.  I think I might still have the adapter somewhere if anyone wants it?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

GrainTrain

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »

This is good to know. I'm sure it will only be a temporary solution as I am now looking at one of the Canon 50s (thanks for fueling my GAS even more!).

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 07:51:21 PM »
This is good to know. I'm sure it will only be a temporary solution as I am now looking at one of the Canon 50s (thanks for fueling my GAS even more!).

Word has it that the original Canon LTM lenses were better than the Leica lenses of the same period.  (Just thought you'd like to know.  ;) )

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 09:37:32 PM »
a Leica LTM 3.5cm f3.5 Summinkorother

Rare as hen's teeth those are.

There's also Cosina Voigtlander LTM lenses. I've just re-bought the 50/1.5 (sold my first one when I sold the Zeiss ZM) to use on an unmentionable camera. Bought it just today from Paul's favourite shop.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."