Author Topic: Holga is 35 years old in 2016....shall we party? (Retirement party)  (Read 11658 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Hello all!

Next year the Holga will celebrate its 35th birthday and I was thinking we could have a year long party....

Next year is a Leap Year, and it's the Year of the Monkey so all kinds of themes can happen.....

Just putting this out there for your ideas and comments..

Becky
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:29:10 PM by astrobeck »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Holga is 35 years old in 2016....shall we party?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 05:10:34 PM »
I'm envisioning a logo involving a leaping monkey. Taking a picture midair with a Holga, naturally.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:20:37 PM »
Hmmm... Monkeys, 366 days, holga turns 35, "more light"...
there's got to be something in there...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:29:55 PM »
366 days ... 3+6+6=15
35 years ... 3x5=15

Coincidence?? The leaping monkey in my head says "no".

Maybe we each take 15 Holga shots (except Charles, he can take as many as he wants).
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 12:39:15 AM »
As long as someone takes a picture of a leaping monkey on 29 Feb 2016 with a Holga, I think we're covered. Probably help to bring along a taser or a cattle prod to encourage the monkey.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 01:16:54 AM »
Or visit Costa Rica, where I hear the monkeys jump from branch to branch all the time.

Tropical arboreal Filmwasters photowalk? Count me in!! ;D

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 01:54:06 AM »
Or visit Costa Rica, where I hear the monkeys jump from branch to branch all the time.

Wander around a jungle (I don't care what anyone says, it's not a rainforest, it's a jungle) full of leaping monkeys, plus spiders the size of Volkswagens and snakes that could poison an entire rugby team before breakfast? No thanks. I'll just zap a small, fairly sedentary, cage-bound monkey, get my shot, and move on.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 02:27:58 AM »

Wander around a jungle (I don't care what anyone says, it's not a rainforest, it's a jungle) full of leaping monkeys, plus spiders the size of Volkswagens and snakes that could poison an entire rugby team before breakfast? No thanks. I'll just zap a small, fairly sedentary, cage-bound monkey, get my shot, and move on.

But ... but ... ZIPLINING!!! ;D

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 02:56:10 AM »

They've got that upstate. All the gravity-induced speed, none of the terrifying fauna (well, that's not exactly true - there are rattlesnakes and bears, but I'll take them over monkeys any day of the week).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 03:25:50 AM »

They've got that upstate. All the gravity-induced speed, none of the terrifying fauna (well, that's not exactly true - there are rattlesnakes and bears, but I'll take them over monkeys any day of the week).

But it's cold up there.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 03:35:39 AM »
I think they should celebrate with a redisgined camera.
Remove the bid square lump of plastic from the center. Give us smooth clean lines for the body.
Put the vf in the center, right over the lens.
Move the hot shoe to the end, over the feed spool.
Keep the 60mm f8 lens but give us a switchable waterhouse stop of f16.
Build in to the shutter release the tap and inner pushrod for a standard cable release. (No need for an accessory)
Mark the distance scale in feet or meters, not symbols.
Don't raise the price above $40

I think it needs to be refreshed by now.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 04:56:05 AM »
As long as someone takes a picture of a leaping monkey on 29 Feb 2016 with a Holga, I think we're covered. Probably help to bring along a taser or a cattle prod to encourage the monkey.

I will be in Costa Rica in February but not on the 29th, and I don't own a Holga.  I'm sure I will take pictures of monkeys though. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 05:25:32 AM »
I will be in Costa Rica in February but not on the 29th, and I don't own a Holga.  I'm sure I will take pictures of monkeys though.

THIS. Qualifies in my book  :)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »
I like the _idea_ of the Holga folks coming out with an anniversary edition with some nice revisions or mods...

it would be really cool if that did happen!

8)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
Put the vf in the center, right over the lens.
But then it wouldn't look like a Leica clone anymore  ;D
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »
But in the end, a different model just wouldn't be a Holga anymore...

But what's really important right now is how to celebrate in some way...
Francois

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 04:08:07 PM »
Maybe we could have New Orleans style funeral/photo walk/celebration. I know a guy with a brass band...

JoeV

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »
I'd be happy to see a better leaf shutter with a selection of usable speeds. And I'd be willing to pay more for that feature, as it would go a long way toward making them a usable film camera. One speed plus bulb just doesn't cut it, especially given the cost of film and processing.

~Joe

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »
I'd be happy to see a better leaf shutter with a selection of usable speeds. And I'd be willing to pay more for that feature, as it would go a long way toward making them a usable film camera. One speed plus bulb just doesn't cut it, especially given the cost of film and processing.

~Joe

Then chuck a decent glass lens on it, swap the plastic body for a metal one and write Mamiya 6 on the front.  ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 07:25:53 PM »
I just got this message from Freestyle Photo
It is with a sad heart that we say goodbye
​to a camera that has been part of our photographic heritage for over 33 years.

The Holga camera factory has closed its doors, and the Holga camera will no longer be manufactured.  As the Exclusive United States Distributor of Holga, we have a limited amount of inventory of cameras and accessories… but once we sell out, they will be gone forever! 

​Don’t miss this last opportunity to own a piece of Holga history!
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 08:22:51 PM »
I called Freestyle this morning because I thought perhaps the message was spam or a hoax...and they told me Holga is closing its doors...

shame...

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »
I'd better buy a couple more to keep me going.  What a shame. :(

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 09:38:59 PM »
Like if the Holga isn't cult enough, just wait and see what the future will bring...

Though I find it quite sad that they're closing... it's the Holga that brought me to discover toy cameras in the first place.
Francois

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :'(

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »
Like if the Holga isn't cult enough, just wait and see what the future will bring...

Though I find it quite sad that they're closing... it's the Holga that brought me to discover toy cameras in the first place.

Same here. It's because of the Holga I met most of you back in the toycam.com days...
Holga was my first foray into medium format, and a Holga was the first camera I hacked to use as a pinhole.....

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 12:23:13 AM »
And it looks like they are going pretty fast.
My local store stopped carrying them. B&H has them on "special order" only.

So I ended up going to Freestyle where they are all on clearance.
You can get an Holga Glo starting at 29$ for the early colors. The later colors are 32$.
I ended up spending more than I expected... evil web stores!  ::)

So I put an order for a few things which I'll get as xmas gifts...

BTW, they have some 4x5 ortho lith film for 8.99$ a box of 50 sheets... all they need is a small trim to fit a regular back.
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 01:09:49 AM »
It is not like plastic, lo-fi cameras will not be available new. Lomography is selling the Diana and so must have a source for them. Don't know for sure but I guess they are doing alright, at least enough to keep selling them and now they will pick up the business that Holga is now vacating.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 01:32:41 AM »
Wow! This thread started off as a celebration and ended up with a funeral. Bummer! Like many here, I started toycam-ing and MF-ing on a Holga sometime around 15 years ago and I still remember the magic of those early days. I still have my first Holga too and it's more-or-less in one piece. I bought one or two more in-between, but kept going back to the first one. The lens isn't anything like as amazing as Nigel's, but it still packs a certain charm.

Just went to Amazon in the UK where they have stock for around £25 ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031GLOVY) and bought one for old time's sake.

Thank you Holga and thank you Mr Lee.

BTW, if you haven't been knocking around here for a decade you might have missed Tony Lim & Brother Skorj's interview with Mr Lee, from 2006 so here's a link to it:

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=1602.msg13723#msg13723

also...

http://eric919hk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/history-of-holga-mr-tm-lee-holga.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:54:46 PM by Ed Wenn »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »
When I was a child, my mum always used to tell me that if I had nothing nice to say; say nothing. Therefore, I've stayed quiet on this thread, so far.

However, as some of you know, I owned a 120N for some time. I liked it so much, I gave it to Andrej.  However, having read the thread a few times, I've done a bit of introspection. 

Despite the photos I took not being remotely sharp and the build quality being so shoddy that I had to use black insulation tape to stop the back falling off (which it did, twice, wasting film worth approximately 50% of the purchase price of the camera), I'm tempted to buy another one.

Question is, is the 120N "THE" one to I should buy? If I'm going to consider buying another one, I'd like to make sure it's the right one.  I see they do weird coloured bodies and built in flash - and I really couldn't care less.  I'm more interested if there's one with, say, a glass lens........?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 12:24:24 PM »
My own words simply can not describe my feelings about this. I defer to the words of the intractable Captain Darling from Blackadder Goes Forth:

'Made a note in my diary on the way here. Simply says: "Bugger."'
L.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
When I was a child, my mum always used to tell me that if I had nothing nice to say; say nothing. Therefore, I've stayed quiet on this thread, so far.

However, as some of you know, I owned a 120N for some time. I liked it so much, I gave it to Andrej.  However, having read the thread a few times, I've done a bit of introspection. 

Despite the photos I took not being remotely sharp and the build quality being so shoddy that I had to use black insulation tape to stop the back falling off (which it did, twice, wasting film worth approximately 50% of the purchase price of the camera), I'm tempted to buy another one.

Question is, is the 120N "THE" one to I should buy? If I'm going to consider buying another one, I'd like to make sure it's the right one.  I see they do weird coloured bodies and built in flash - and I really couldn't care less.  I'm more interested if there's one with, say, a glass lens........?

Any model with G in it will have a glass lens.  I have a GCFN - Glass Coloured Flash N (no idea what N stands for).  If you don't fancy the infinite possibilities a coloured flash unit throws up there is a GN and GFN model as well.

To be honest, the flash is about as much use as a match in a hurricane so I'd go for the N or GN if I was you.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
I went for the classic N model which mom offered to give me for Xmas if I pay half of it (she feels I don't need another one).

For what it's worth, I tend to stay away from the flash model as I heard mostly bad things about it. The batteries are housed inside the film chamber and can fall into it if the camera gets a knock. Just for that I opted for the one with a classic hotshoe. It makes everything easy to fix should it break.

As for the glass vs plastic thing, its a bit like the old paper or plastic dilemma at the supermarket...
The class version is just marginally better, as in sharper... But if I were to put pictures taken with both side by side, you might be surprised at the one you like best.

Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
Thanks Guys.

I'll see if if can find a "GN" as I'm not a fan of "flash" - especially on-board flash.  Failing that, an "N".

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 02:54:18 PM »
Late developer,
Look up Holga Direct, they show the regular 120 GN for $39 + shipping as still available.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »
Many thanks for that John, I'll definitely check it out.

However, as I'm on the other side of "the pond" the shipping might be disproportionate and I might be able to pick one up local to where I work in London.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 04:28:56 PM »
Paul

You'll need two.  One for ASA 100 and one for ASA400.  And two more for colour films.  That makes 4.  And a couple of spares.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 08:43:05 PM »
But on the party front, maybe we could do a month of Holga photography?
A month with Holga... just like in the old days...
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2015, 07:55:13 AM »

Great idea ... And perhaps a collab gallery too.
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »

Great idea ... And perhaps a collab gallery too.

yeah, a last hurrah with a collab gallery fould be great!

dammit.... I kind of always took for granted that holgas would be around, still bein produced.
/jonas

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2015, 05:23:36 PM »
Very sad  :'( The Holga was my first forray into the world of MF and more particularly, square. I don't think I shot another 35mm shot after and I'm still in love with Square. I still have my original from the summer of 2006.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
I can't remember if you were there on the old Toycamera forums?
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2015, 03:33:08 PM »
I've been using the flash version (SF) since 2004 and never had any problems with it, but I don't keep batteries in it and haven't used the flash probably since 2006. I had a GN for awhile but didn't really care for it. Camera was super leaky and the glass seemed to create lots of aberrations. All the photos were either blurry or warped. I think I sold it awhile ago.

But I've always liked the SF!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:53:52 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 08:13:36 AM »
I guess each holga has its own character. that's a bit of the charm with them I think :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 12:59:27 PM »
Definitely! I think of them a bit like children; while they have a family resemblance, they all have pretty distinct personalities
Francois

HolgaJen

• My Flickr Album
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
Needless to say I am very sad about the Holga news as well - I will be working with astrobeck to cook up some fun Holga related events for next year to honour our beloved camera!

I am also doing a blog post in a few weeks showcasing everyone's favorite Holga photo that they took in 2015 - if you would like to submit, head over to my blog for more informationhttp://holgajen.blogspot.com

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 09:13:13 AM »
the marketing site http://www.holgainspire.com/ being down and all the latest I can see through archive.org is them posting about this video:
! No longer available

Thank you Holga and thank you Mr Lee.

BTW, if you haven't been knocking around here for a decade you might have missed Tony Lim & Brother Skorj's interview with Mr Lee, from 2006 so here's a link to it:

http://eric919hk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/history-of-holga-mr-tm-lee-holga.html

and a later interview with Lee here:
http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2014/02/19/holgas-unlikely-story/
there's some shots from the factory in the slideshow there
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:34:03 AM by jojonas~ »
/jonas