Author Topic: Michael Kenna  (Read 5971 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Michael Kenna
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »
Recently, I received an email invitation from Michael Kenna's website to attend the pre-exhibition launch of his new book "France" at Chris Beetles' Gallery on Swallow Street, near Piccadilly Circus, London.  There'd be wine, lots of his work and the chance to speak with Michael and buy a copy of the exhibition catalogue and/or his new book.  How could I refuse...??

Lara and I have just got back from London and, no surprises, we got a copy of his new book which is absolutely stunning.  Michael is a true gentleman.  He stood and chatted with anyone and everyone who wanted a word with him about whatever subject - or just wanted a photo taking with him or a book signed, etc.  And this is on the night before he heads off to Japan to shoot the final photo for a book he's due to release "in the autumn".

I managed to grab a few photos whilst there - so here's a few of the better ones (in black and white of course).  These aren't film-based  - but they're just to illustrate the exhibition - which opens tomorrow and is there for about a month.  Definitely worth the trip.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

scapevision

Re: Michael Kenna
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
Definitely one of the classics. I am partial to his squares.  :D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »
Welcome Scapevision.  I'm sure you'll love it here.  Don't forget to set up a new topic and introduce yourself to the gang.

Yes, I've loved MK's work from the day I first saw it. I've heard some people be dismissive of his style but the minimalist approach with bold geometry and empty space are things I'd love to learn how to do - even a fraction as well as he does.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »
Nice touch Paul
L.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Paul.
I too like his work very much and after having a chance to see the physical prints on exhibition in Munich I'd say they are worth a trip of many (hundreds) of kilometers or miles... No matter how excellent the books are, the prints are still better!
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
In total agreement with Andrej. Whilst the books are great, they're no substitute for a proper gallery show.

I remember a 300 mile round trip a few years ago, purely to see MK's show at Banbury. Worth every tortuous minute on the M25 / M40.

Two things I really like about Kenna's work: he tends to print quite dark (in part, I suppose, determined by the fact he shoots a lot at night), and he prints small. I always feel that big prints can be more about the print than the photograph, sort of "never mind the quality, feel the width!"
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:51:28 PM »
Paul, thanks for the reportage  :) I may try and get over to Chris Beetles' gallery one lunchtime....a good rule in life is to never miss a Kenna show when one's in town.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:56 PM »
...BTW, did you ask him how his tree is getting on? The one in Japan with the great personality?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 11:40:43 PM »
...BTW, did you ask him how his tree is getting on? The one in Japan with the great personality?

Y'know, Ed, it must have just slipped my mind.... :o

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »
IIRC they've cut the tree at Lake Kusharo down a year or two ago.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
A couple of months ago, I got an email "flyer" from the gallery that represents Michael Kenna, advising that he had an upcoming exhibition somewhere in Europe. Unfortunately, it wasn't going to be possible to attend. As the email didn't have the "DoNotReply" bit, I responded and asked if he would be visiting Britain anytime soon. To my surprise, I got a reply back from Michael himself saying that he'd been told by his agent he was due to be doing a book signing at Beetles + Huxley in London on the evening of 15th October. No way was I going to miss that as it would be the launch of his new book "Forms of Japan".

I was really looking forward to attending the event and then a friend and work colleague decided he was leaving the company we work for.  While I was on holiday, and by sheer coincidence, he arranged his leaving drinks party for the night of Michael Kenna's book launch. I went to the leaving drinks, of course, but not before arranging for the gallery to set aside a signed copy of the book - which I retrieved yesterday.

I've seen some of of his Japan books previously but they are expensive to buy on Amazon (etc) and aren't all in print anymore. This latest book is a collection of shots from his previous books plus a few additions from his most recent trip to Japan. Anyone who likes his work won't be disappointed by this book.  In fact, they'll love it.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »
I saw this exhibit and bought the book when Kenna was in NYC earlier this year. Gorgeous photographs, gorgeous book, and he is absolutely lovely. There was a photo geek there trying to nail him down on exactly what camera, lens, f-stop and shutter speed for each picture and he was trying to patiently explain that wasn't the point. I'm sure he gets that all the time (I know I do). I wanted to punch the guy on his behalf but he actually looked bemused by it.

I visited the Beetles gallery the last time I was in London. I'm on their mailing list now and they always have good shows. It's a little jewel box. Worth a visit no matter who is showing there.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 11:24:21 PM »
Couldn't agree more Deborah.

When I met him earlier this year, I said that I understood he was still shooting film and left it at that.  He confirmed this and pointed to an aluminium flight case saying that he'd brought his 'blads with him as he was off to Heathrow after the event to shoot the final shot for the new book on Japan.  I'll have some fun tracking down which shot it was as they are all dated in the book.  He seemed almost happier talking about Japan and what drives him than the technicalities of photography; and who can blame him? It must be a PITA doing it as a living and then having a bunch of amateurs asking him technical questions when he's an artist and the technicalities are simply a means to an end. I'm more interested in trying to understand how he "sees" and how I can improve my "eye" as the rest can be learned from a book.

Sorry I missed you when you were over here but I was off to Spain at that point. Best wishes, Paul.

Mike Crawford

• 35mm
    • mike-crawford.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »
Just to agree with all of the above, I went to a Michael Kenna PV at Hackelburry Gallery in London a few years ago and Michael was very approachable and we had a great chat with him about printing and toning.