Author Topic: Darkroom how-to video - beginner  (Read 972 times)

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
Darkroom how-to video - beginner
« on: October 17, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
A question for you all: can anyone point to a darkroom how-to video for beginners that is actually any good? I know there are many out there it's just the ones I've seen so far are not great, in fact some of them are laughably bad. Reason I'm asking is I teach beginner darkroom and when I'm asked about a good online video I can't give anyone a link to anything useful. Of course students do learn darkroom techniques in the courses I teach but it helps a lot of learners to see material presented in a variety of ways, hence the search for a beginner video.
All suggestions appreciated!

Dave

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
Re: Darkroom how-to video - beginner
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »
48 views and no links, I guess good DR vids are pretty rare on the web ;)

Dave.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
Well, the "actually good" qualifier really narrows the field. I haven't come across a film developing video that gave enough detail for a beginner. Ted Forbes' video probably comes close, but even then, he misses a few things, like re-using the fixer. I know the younger generation seems to be unable to learn anything other than what they are spoon fed on YouTube (I have 15 and 18 year old boys, so I speak from experience), but there have been so many "actually good" books and even online tutorials (reading skills required).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQtwIwAWoVChMI5oa79qjRyAIVB-ZjCh2kvAhG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DB1uc7ohS7cU&usg=AFQjCNHG6ykV2frhhhPvNFwLy0FciSb_nA&sig2=ws07403dJWkvz6kldalKsw
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »
You know, film developing isn't exactly rocket science. You could tell them to just improvise around what you tell them.
As for the Art of Photography video, I can say it was decent.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 12:39:50 AM »
Well, the "actually good" qualifier really narrows the field. I haven't come across a film developing video that gave enough detail for a beginner. Ted Forbes' video probably comes close, but even then, he misses a few things, like re-using the fixer...
He also seems to think that pushing film changes the ISO rating rather than the EI but I'll let that pass, his vids are at least well produced & engaging.

You know, film developing isn't exactly rocket science. You could tell them to just improvise around what you tell them.
As for the Art of Photography video, I can say it was decent.
Agreed, not rocket science but people learn in different ways and any supporting material I can point students to that presents the subject matter in different way is always useful.

Anyway thanks to both of you for the posts.

Dave.