Author Topic: Any tips respooling 127 film?  (Read 3018 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Any tips respooling 127 film?
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »
I know there's been threads in the past about cutting film down to 127 size - that's not the issue. My problem is, having cut the film, getting it on to the 127 spool. I'm working in a changing bag which doesn't help but problem is keeping the film and backing paper square and together while spooling it up. Anyone?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Any tips respooling 127 film?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
Apart from using tape and going by feel, I have no idea.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
Peter,

Spooling is the hard part.  I've constructed a contraption to do this that works pretty well.  I'll try to make up a series of d@##@$ital pics to show how it works but that'll take some time.  Meanwhile, there are a couple of things to think about:

1. The tape goes on the wrong end.  The tape that sticks the film to the backing paper has to be on the head ('start') end of the roll, so the film gets fed over the roller and into the exposure position.  In order for the film to lie flat and not cause a jam, the tail end (usually marked 'stop' on the backing paper) cannot be taped down; if it is, the film will buckle in the camera and make a mess.  So you need to begin spooling at the tail end of the roll, feeding the film in until it is caught in the backing paper as it rolls up.  (I mark the end point with a little bit of tape that I can feel, then remove when I begin feeding the film into the roll.)  Then, when you reach the 'start' point you cut the film and tape it to the backing.  (I always leave the old tape in place so I can feel where the start point is, overlap the film on top of it and then tape it down.  This means I use a bit more film than I have to, but it makes spooling easier.)

2.  You need to keep tension on both the film and the paper to keep buckling to the absolute minimum.  This is more difficult than it seems, but with practice it can be done.

3. Finally, 127 spools are not uniform sizes.  The old all-metal spools are the best, with more clearance, and the backing paper rolls up smoothly on these nearly every time.  The spools made of plastic with a brass pin on one end are almost as good, though I have experienced serious shredding of the backing paper and jamming of the paper as I tried to spool with some of these.  Finally, the all-plastic ones are virtually useless.  They're a full millimeter narrower than the metal ones on the inside (where it matters when you're spooling)  and I throw them out.  The all-plastic ones also jam in some of my cameras, which makes them useless for shooting too.

I'll try to shoot some illustrations soon!

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:51:09 PM »
Hi Terry,

Yes, I was thinking a 'contraption' might be the way to go. Would be interested to see yours.

Thanks
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:56:34 PM »
A spooling contraption would be a good thing.
Right now I have a film slitter that does a good job, but spooling is a bit of a pain, so I haven't gone to any lengths to start cutting my own.
Francois

Terry

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »
I put a little photo essay up on the 'articles' board.

Terry

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
Here's something I just stumbled across.  I know the seller--Rafael Pankratau--bought some motion picture equipment from him years ago.  It's clearly too pricey but a clever idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RafCamera-Film-Cutter-to-convert-120-film-to-127-61-5mm-to-46mm-/191649662918?hash=item2c9f35c7c6:g:bCUAAOSwHnFV5VmM

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
It's easier to. Cut them on the spool directly... Or at least cheaper and safer.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 02:52:06 PM »
Here's something I just stumbled across.  I know the seller--Rafael Pankratau--bought some motion picture equipment from him years ago.  It's clearly too pricey but a clever idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RafCamera-Film-Cutter-to-convert-120-film-to-127-61-5mm-to-46mm-/191649662918?hash=item2c9f35c7c6:g:bCUAAOSwHnFV5VmM

I had seen that before but I was concerned about scratching the film pulling it through the cutter and also keeping the film straight. It would need a feed and take-up spool mounted either side of it I think.

Terry

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 04:31:24 PM »
Valid concerns--I would hope there are some guides and rollers inside to keep it straight and avoid scratches.  It reminds me of the old regular 8mm (double-8) splitters.  But I suppose cutting it on the paper is just safer all around.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »
The only thing is I discovered that paper can be very hard on the blades.
Francois