Author Topic: No fixer  (Read 3533 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
No fixer
« on: September 15, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
Just shot 4 rolls of Tri-X & TMax on Sunday and decided to dump my old fixer and mix up some fresh. Unfortunately, the Ilford Rapidfix concentrate coming out of the bottle looks disgusting (cloudy, thiosulphate crystals that won't go back into solution, etc), so I tossed it and got ready to go to Adorama on Monday (yesterday) to get more. But it's the holidays!! Every photo store in the city is closed till tomorrow morning! So now I just have to stare at these rolls of undeveloped film until tomorrow :'( :'( :'(

Is there no non-Jewish photo chemical store in the city?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: No fixer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »
It seems that cloudiness and crystals just mean that your solution reached saturation. If you have decided that it is a lost cause, then there is no harm in decanting the liquid and trying to re-dissolve the crystals in a small volume of hot water. Then add the solution back to the decanted liquid and do a regular 4:1 dilution and do a strip test. If it clears, then as our friends across the pond say, "Robert is your father's brother."

Don't be mad at the Jewish people. They are celebrating! I wish I got 7 Christmases every year.  :-X
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

x100art

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:20:43 PM »
I still have my Ilford  fixer and it's been over a year and I think I'm halfway done with that bottle. I'm thinking about mixing up a new batch and next few days. I've been shooting with the Holga 120 and I have a few rolls to develop.

So jealous that you're so close to Adorama or B&H. I guess it's a good thing because I would be so broke.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Take me back to the 80's please !!! I don't  like this time ..

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 04:22:58 PM »
You didnt do a clip test? Ive used some pretty eggy smelling supposedly dead rapidfix but after a clip test it clears just fine. You'd be surprised what you can get away with.

Ive heard you can clear film with some sort of baking soda solution but it takes a long time... Best just wait for BH to open.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
Or go back and read Bryan's thread about the saturated salt fixer. It takes time, but gets the job done.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »
1. Nowhere did I say that I hated God's chosen people. I just wish there was a non-Jewish owned photo supply store here :D

2. Cloudiness/precipitate/eggy smell ... I did try to redissolve in warm tap water, but after an hour of stirring (no joke!), the precipitate remained precipitated and the cloudy remained cloudy. Don't even ask me about the smell  :P I know from experience that off-looking fixer can indeed clear a photo, but believe me, this stuff redefined "off-looking"  :o Decided to be safe than sorry ;)

3. Ok, I'll start a salt fix right now, then pick up some Rapidfix tomorrow, and the Rapidfixed roll will still be ready before the salt-fixed roll! :P

4. There's really no Gentile photo stores in NYC?  ???

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
3. Ok, I'll start a salt fix right now, then pick up some Rapidfix tomorrow, and the Rapidfixed roll will still be ready before the salt-fixed roll! :P

Patience Grasshopper.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:19:18 PM »
If the crystals you are seeing are truly insoluble in water, then they might be a metallic thiosulfate complex. Are you dropping pennies in your fixer again???  ::)
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 05:57:42 PM »
If the crystals you are seeing are truly insoluble in water, then they might be a metallic thiosulfate complex. Are you dropping pennies in your fixer again???  ::)

Isn't that how you're supposed to raise the liquid level to force out all the air?  ???

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
Yes the salt was what I was thinking.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 06:21:45 PM »
All joking aside, I don't feel like these particular rolls are for experimenting with a new-to-me process, so I'm willing to wait another day for Adorama to open :) If it were just a streetshot roll from my XA, things may be different ;)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 08:03:32 PM »
When I visited the States, and New York in particular, last year I really wanted to go to B&H, so I went there on a saturday afternoon and was puzzled why it was closed, until I came back next day and I set one foot in side it all became clear in an instant. Really cool store, especially their way of getting your stuff to check out.
But very friendly and helpful people, even asked me if I wanted a full pack of fuji 400H because it's 10 bucks a roll...
I now work across the border, in Antwerp, where there is a large jewish community, so I'm a bit more acquainted to their customs. Still a funny sight when it rains tough, they use shower caps to keep their hats dry!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
Photo Village is across the street from B&H - an employee described their business as "where you go to buy film on Saturday" (though I suspect this is not the extent of their business model). They carry Ilford film, but I don't know about chemicals. I spend my time trying not to drool on the glass cases.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
Photo Village is across the street from B&H - an employee described their business as "where you go to buy film on Saturday" (though I suspect this is not the extent of their business model). They carry Ilford film, but I don't know about chemicals. I spend my time trying not to drool on the glass cases.

Huh? How have I not seen this store? Thanks for the tip, but I just called them and the obviously highly intelligent young lady who answered the phone said "Chemicals? Umm, I don't know, I think we just have film."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »
You can always get some thiosulphate at a pool supply store. It will clear and fix the film but it doesn't keep for a long time in solution. Just google for Plain Fix.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
You can always get some thiosulphate at a pool supply store. It will clear and fix the film but it doesn't keep for a long time in solution. Just google for Plain Fix.

A pool supply store in New York City will probably be harder to find than an photo store open on the holidays.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »

A pool supply store in New York City will probably be harder to find than an photo store open on the holidays.

Good point, but there are probably more photographers (d*****l as well as film) in NYC than there are pools ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »
Granted I don't see how anyone could put an in-ground pool in their apartment  ;D
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 01:15:46 AM »
Isn't there an urban myth about a crazy musician filling his apartment with water and creating  a swimming pool of sorts?

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
god bless atheist capitalists stores that are open 24/7 all year ;)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »
Isn't there an urban myth about a crazy musician filling his apartment with water and creating  a swimming pool of sorts?
Never heard of it but you're always welcome to try it ;)
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
god bless atheist capitalists stores that are open 24/7 all year ;)

Now if only there were one in NYC! :D If you'll excuse me, it's 9:30am, I'm 1/2 hour late to buy some fixer ;)

Terry

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 10:03:25 PM »
K&M's website says they're open 10 to 6 on Saturdays