Author Topic: Film price differences  (Read 1618 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Film price differences
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »
I order my films in bulk 2 or 3 times a year. My stock is running low (relatively speaking) so I'm planning my next order
Last time I did a bit of shopping around and found it cheaper to place 2 orders, even with the extra shipping I still saved, so this time I compared the prices of 5 suppliers, 4 I have used and 1 I haven't

I was shocked by the results.

Macodirect.de are significantly cheaper, even with the postage being £3 more. They are the cheapest for Ilford film, despite the fact it's made in England, shipped to Germany, then sent back to England

Biggest surprise was FUJICOLOR PRO 400H, £3.98 for a 35mm roll from Maco, £9.49 from AG Photographic, the next cheapest of the 5. Considering I spend £150+ a time on film I think you can guess where I will be ordering from next

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Film price differences
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:06:26 PM »
I know prices seem to be all over the place these days.
And considering the incredibly disadvantageous Canadian dollar, things are not looking good here...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
Changing currency values probably has something to do with it.  I often buy from B&H photo in New York.  If I use Amazon I have to pay tax since they are located in my state.  Even though the film and shipping costs are about the same the tax makes it cheaper to order it from the other side of the country. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:34:25 PM »
These things always drive me crazy... just like when I ordered my Ondu.
I was one of the earlybirds so I got a good deal, but by the time the kickstarter was over and that my card was charged the price had gone up by almost 25$ thanks to Wall Street... lets just say it wasn't a nice surprise.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 06:44:07 AM »

I was shocked by the results.

Macodirect.de are significantly cheaper, even with the postage being £3 more. They are the cheapest for Ilford film, despite the fact it's made in England, shipped to Germany, then sent back to England

This place is cheaper than Maco for Ilford at £3.50 a roll and they are fast and friendly family business
http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/product.aspx?id=124&IsProduct=True   

Furthermore they break up five packs so you can get single rolls of Fuji 120 for about £4.50-only small outfits will do that
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:56:00 AM by Photo_Utopia »
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »
Hi,

£3.50 is for a 24 exp. film,
the 36 exp. film costs £4.40....

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
Hi Volker
While that is true it still makes Mathers cheaper because of postage YMMV depending where you live, and I just like dealing with a small family business who I can call on the phone and will post to me same day.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:45:50 PM by Photo_Utopia »
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
Kayos
For Ilford and Kentmere products, have you had a look at Harman Express?
They might not be the cheapest, but they are directly from the factory, delivery is free for over £50 worth of products and they are fresh and quick.
Normally I get my delivery within a day.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 08:52:19 PM »
Ilford is usually a small part of my order, 10-20 rolls of FP4 and HP5 with a couple of delta 3200, I really don't like Kentmere despite trying lots and wanting to like it....

I prefer my film to come in one go, so it can be put in the fridge then shot :)