Author Topic: Up, Up and Away.....  (Read 1891 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Up, Up and Away.....
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »
As photographers, many are continually looking for new, unusual and innovative ways of looking and, and photographing, the world around us.  I'm sure many will have walked up mountains, swum beneath the waves and stuck their cameras against airplane windows to get a photo that's a bit different.

However, when I was investigating the (relatively) new phenomenon of "drones" recently, it became pretty obvious that most drones are currently being used as platforms for surveillance / photography of some description and that most drones are designed / adapted to carry still or video cameras.  These cameras vary from mobile phones to advanced, broadcast-quality DSLRs / video cameras.  That got me thinking about whether anyone's is shooting film from a drone.

The definition of drone is wide enough to include all manner of unmanned aircraft that are piloted remotely, so it seems inevitable that spy drones and weapon delivery versions going back years probably will have shot film. However, have members of the public (or anyone here) done it, or even considered doing it?

I'm not challenging anyone to do this or advocating that they should try. If anyone does, they would be well advised to check their insurance policies first as most policies would not automatically cover damage to the drone or camera nor pay defence costs or compensation for any injury / damage resulting from using a drone.  Then there's the rules of the air that would need to be folloed to avoid prosecution....... 

All of that said, do any of the boffins in our midst think it's feasible or know of any examples?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: Up, Up and Away.....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:24:38 AM »
Good idea Paul.  I am going to tie a holga to a helium balloon and see what happens ;)  I'll probably get arrested.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:36:43 AM »
Charles, I'd pay to see that.  Don't think a helium balloon qualifies as a drone (as no-one's navigating) but if you tie some string to it and find a way of tripping the shutter release without causing the back to fall off, anything's possible  ;)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »
I was sure I'd heard of something about flying Holgas before, so I had a look and found this Holga In Spaaaaace!
Though on the whole the result wasn't that good.

Someone has mounted a Holga on a drone, and with a lot of work they've got some interesting results.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
The problem with drones is that the ones who can carry a decent amount of weight are dreadfully expensive.

As for me, I'd probably settle for kite aerial photography before investing in a drone.
I have a big kite (a rokkaku that uses 150 lbs test string), and plenty of point & shoot cameras...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
Charles, I'd pay to see that.

Are you talking about me getting arrested or tying a holga to a balloon?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »
I'm not sure this qualifies as a drone but there was the Cineroc made about 40 years ago by the Estes model rocket company.  It carried a small Super 8 camera that filmed the flight.  I wanted one of these so bad when I was doing model rockets, never did get one.

http://www.rcgrabbag.com/archives/estes-cineroc-1970

At the bottom of the linked page is a video that shows the footage it took.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 03:26:19 PM »

Possibly both - but I was thinking more about seeing a Holga disappear off into the wild, blue yonder  ;)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »

Possibly both - but I was thinking more about seeing a Holga disappear off into the wild, blue yonder  ;)

There's more than a few that would probably like to see the former. 

Not a lot of people know this but as a teenager I used to keep stick insects as pets (as well as a tarantula called Herbert).  Anyhoo, the males of one of the species I bred, McLeays Spectre, can fly which is unusual for stick insects who generally look and act like sticks. 

So I used to let the males out of their cage and take them out for flying lessons -  initially within the house which my mother did not like at all, and later in the garden  where I would throw them into the wind and let them fly about, following them with a garden cane with which I would knock them gently if they looked like flying over the garden hedge and into the neighbour's rose bushes (which they would have eaten up in no time).

I wonder how many of these beasties I would have needed to get a holga airborne?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 04:11:29 PM »

Not a lot of people know this but as a teenager I used to keep stick insects as pets (as well as a tarantula called Herbert).  Anyhoo, the males of one of the species I bred, McLeays Spectre, can fly which is unusual for stick insects who generally look and act like sticks. 

So I used to let the males out of their cage and take them out for flying lessons -  initially within the house which my mother did not like at all, and later in the garden  where I would throw them into the wind and let them fly about, following them with a garden cane with which I would knock them gently if they looked like flying over the garden hedge and into the neighbour's rose bushes (which they would have eaten up in no time).

I wonder how many of these beasties I would have needed to get a holga airborne?

It's one thing getting them airborne - but could you teach one to hit the shutter on a pre-determined signal?  Now that would get some headines.....

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 04:26:20 PM »

It's one thing getting them airborne - but could you teach one to hit the shutter on a pre-determined signal?  Now that would get some headines.....

I'm sure I could figure out a way.  The other possibility would be to send them up with a pinholga and bring them down when the exposure time is up.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 09:09:16 PM »
Pigeon cam anyone?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »