Author Topic: I will be in Europe!  (Read 5124 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
I will be in Europe!
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
This is still a few weeks off, but I thought I'd give y'all a heads up, since I know there are some of you in these cities. I'll be touring northern Europe with a cool, old-school rock band from May 21-June 2. Choose your city below (I'm joining then in London on 21/5):

Those of you who are musicians will know that just because I'm in your city doesn't mean that I'll have any time whatsoever. Normal tour schedule is wake up - drive to next city - load into club - sound check - eat - play gig - load out of club - sleep - repeat until you forget what your name is :) That said, there's usually an hour or so downtime between soundcheck/eat/play gig, so wherever I could squeeze in a meet and greet would be awesome. And for those of you who like old school rock (this guy came out of the NYC punk scene and worships at the alter of Springsteen), it's not a bad show to catch if you're so inclined. I'll be the one in the suit playing trumpet on about 1/3 of the songs.

In addition, I'll be in London a couple of days before and a couple of days after, so there will be more of a chance to meet you Londoners. I also may stay in Amsterdam for a day or two at the tail end, but I don't know if any FWers are around there.

At the very least, let me know what I can do if I'm 1. in your town, 2. have exactly 50min downtime in the club's area, and 3. have no phone or mode of transportation other than sneakers! :D

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Re: I will be in Europe!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 08:57:33 PM »
Manchester is about the closest to me, but even then it's not a quick drive over

I've no advice for what to do in under an hour with no transport, except go for a wander with a camera :)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:35:47 PM »
ah, I won't be able to come down to the capital but here's some tips for Stockholm: https://goo.gl/maps/T1hZC

Västerlånggatan 36 - lots of film - http://www.brunosbildverkstad.se/
Upplandsgatan 16 - film and old cameras - http://www.schonherrsfoto.se/
Karlavagen 61 - film, old cameras (more leica) - http://www.wibergsfoto.se/

Surbrunnsgatan 41 - 50's café - http://www.cafekartan.se/054840/Konditori_Valand

everything listed closes at 18:00 though
/jonas

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »
Shame your not coming to Nottingham I'm just up the road

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »
Hi,

Frankfurt sounds great. Drop me a line, if you like to meet... :)

Volker

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
Hi,

Frankfurt is quite close to where I live, but I don't know yet, if I will close during that weekend.

the club in Frankfurt is about 7 minutes walk away from the 100 years of Leica photography exhibition.
http://www.fffrankfurt.org/e_exh2015_leica.html
It is not a large exhibition, but a nice collection of (very famous) photographs.

When you walk a little past the exhibition you get to the "Römer", the old town square, which is quite nice for sitting outside, drinking beer and watching tourists.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:50:07 PM by ManuelL »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 03:51:55 PM »
Thank you all for your advice! I still have no idea how much time (if any) I'll have in each city, and not sure whether the tour manager will even want to let me wander off on my own, since I won't have a phone to keep tabs on things. But at any rate it seems that the clubs are not in the middle of the woods, and generally are in cool parts of the city, so maybe at least I can stare longingly out of the club's window :)

Manuel & Volker, it would be great to see you in Frankfurt if possible. Could you possibly come by the club a couple of hours before my set time? Looks like the official published set time is 20.00, so I'd assume we'll be there setting up and such by 1700 at the latest. Depending on how close you are to the venue I could also send you a note or update this thread when I get there (it's Germany ... there's gotta be wifi everywhere, right? :) )

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 05:58:41 PM »
If you're in Manchester (my home town) you could always head for the Real Camera Company on Dale St - a couple of minutes walk from Piccadilly Gardens.  Beware - they have lots of very nice film gear but they deal in cash (unless you're spending over £100)

For food, it depends.  The other side of Piccadilly Gardens is Chinatown.  Further on - across Albert Square, there's "Tampopo" a great Thai noodle bar.  For beer and quaint Mancunian pubbishness there's the Circus Tavern on Portland Street or the City Arms on Kennedy Street.  Avoid Weatherspoons chain pubs like the plague.  They're cheap but crammed and characterless.

You could visit Chetham's Library where Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels met to discuss their view of the world.  There's a memorial to Alan Turing, the chap whose team at Bletchley Park cracked the Enigma code.  He died in Manchester.  The Midland Hotel (5* and at the far end of Portland Street) is where Mr Rolls met Mr Royce and agreed to form Rolls Royce.  Central Library sits at the top of Peter Street - the site of the Peterloo Massacre; not one of Britain's establishment's finest hours.

If you need musical supplies, there's Dawsons on Portland Street (virtually next to the Mercure Hotel on Piccadilly Gardens).

If you're playing at the Night & Day Cafe on Oldham Street, you're very central - just off (you guessed it) Piccadilly Gardens.  The area is a bit crap, so watch your stuff.  The locals are a very open and honest bunch.  You'll know if you've gone down well.  Have a great time in Manchester  8) 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:02:17 PM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 06:44:26 PM »
Oh, oops! Forgot to mention that I won't be on the first couple of dates ... I will be joining them on 21/5 in London. So no Manchester, unfortunately :( I've never been to the north of England, so I am missing this opportunity, but there will be another time I'm sure! :D

Terry

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 09:02:18 PM »
So I see you'll be in Tufnell Park.  I used to drink in the Highbury Barn, just northeast of Highbury Park and a stone's throw from Tufnell Park.  Good pints of Guinness as I recall.  Used to do music there too.  I knew all the pubs in walking distance of Newington Green that had bands and no covers.  But the Barn was my favorite.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »
Oh, also, I will be in London sans gigs from tomorrow (18/5) till the gig on the 21st, and then again in London from about June 1st till the 3rd if any Londoners want to meet up ... I'll only have my Canonet and XA with a bunch of Tri-X and maybe a roll of Agfa Optima, but if anyone has any leads on weird 35mm films (B&W, C41, E6, etc) I can blow out a roll and load it up :)

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:38:12 PM »
Nowhere close to me, unfortunately. But, I do have a Jesse Malin CD  ;D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 12:05:38 AM »
Seriously? That's cool :) Get the latest one, with me on it! (Mixed down to almost-inaudobility)

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 08:50:38 AM »
Hi,

i'll try to be at the Club at 17h.
i'll send you my contact details in a PM too.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Oh, also, I will be in London sans gigs from tomorrow (18/5) till the gig on the 21st, and then again in London from about June 1st till the 3rd if any Londoners want to meet up ... I'll only have my Canonet and XA with a bunch of Tri-X and maybe a roll of Agfa Optima, but if anyone has any leads on weird 35mm films (B&W, C41, E6, etc) I can blow out a roll and load it up :)
If I had knwn I could have sent you some 35mm Kodak Kodalith to play with

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 01:40:13 PM »
Och a see yer nae gonnae bee gawin tae Glasgow eethur  :(   :o   >:(   :'(

A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 08:30:38 AM »
Hi,

i'll try to be at the Club at 17h.
i'll send you my contact details in a PM too.

Hi Volker and Indofunk,
so sorry, I won't be able to make it to Frankfurt.  :-[
I hope you two meet. Maybe you manage to squeeze in a snapshot.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »
Volker is best Filmwaster ever! He brought me 200 rolls of Agfa Vista (original Agfa!!) and bought me dinner because I forgot to bring Euros :(

Also, and sorry to call you out Volker, he took d*****l pictures of the show! I hope he'll post a link to it, because those ones & zeros are verboten here ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:51:39 PM by Indofunk »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 11:17:02 PM »
Volker is best Filmwaster ever! He brought me 200 rolls of Agfa Vista (original Agfa!!) and bought me dinner because I forgot to bring Euros :(

Also, and sorry to call you out Volker, he took d*****l pictures of the show! I hope he'll post a link to it, because those ones & zeros are verboten here ;)

200?! Gonna be a helluva big carry-on bag on the way home (don't put in the checked luggage - they zap that with the "so you weren't planning to have children, right?" X-rays).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »
Hi,

approx. 14 rolls only, i think.... :-D
It was a pleasure to meet you Satish. I hope we can do it again sometime.

Below you will find a "Satish in action" picture.
It was a great concert. They played the music i like and i really enjoyed it.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 10:32:29 AM »
Wow! What a great shot! (Albeit d****l ;) )

It was great meeting you, too, and next time the film and dinner is on me!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 04:00:39 PM »
I'm back in London if any of the Londinium filmwasters want to meet up. I had a pleasant stroll in Woldingham today (6 shots from being a "one subject one roll"!) and plan to visit the Dennis Severs House at 7:30pm (for the benefit of NYCers, this is London's equivalent of Sleep No More at the McKittrick on the west side). I love days off on tour! Free tomorrow all day until soundcheck at 5pm and looking to get into trouble!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:03:27 PM by Indofunk »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »
Back home! Thanks to Volker, I blew through 9 rolls of Agfa (including the one roll I brought along)! Oh how I hate C41 processing  >:( Already dev'd the 3 rolls of Tri-X I brought (why didn't I bring much more B&W? Much easier to dev ;D ). I predict it'll take me at least a week to get through the whole dev-scan-posting process. THEN of course I have to deal with the 5 rolls from the NYCFW walk  :-\ Ah, film  ;)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 02:06:42 AM »
Welcome back!

Oh, and speaking of our NYC walk, I went home and realized that I had The Enchantress of Florence on my bookshelf! I'm several chapters in so far :)
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 02:21:17 AM »
Welcome back!

Oh, and speaking of our NYC walk, I went home and realized that I had The Enchantress of Florence on my bookshelf! I'm several chapters in so far :)

Isn't it amazing? Isn't it the best thing you've ever read?? I will not accept "no" as an answer, so either answer "yes" or do not post here anymore  :P

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 02:31:57 AM »
Welcome back!

Isn't it amazing? Isn't it the best thing you've ever read?? I will not accept "no" as an answer, so either answer "yes" or do not post here anymore  :P

It's beautiful. And I'm not just saying that! No really, I swear! Don't hurt me...   

;)

(And yes, I truly am enjoying it!)
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)