Author Topic: New55 COLOR - instant 4x5 print film PRE-ORDER  (Read 2090 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
New55 COLOR - instant 4x5 print film PRE-ORDER
« on: May 27, 2016, 08:56:18 PM »
I think I have enough FP-100C stockpiled to satisfy my instant color needs for a while but if anyone is interested this just came out.

You are the first to know that pre-orders for New55 COLOR instant 4x5 peelapart film are being accepted, starting today.  A small number of boxes of New55 COLOR will be made to see if there is demand for a 4x5 color peelapart product and, beginning now, you can place a pre-order.

This first batch would use original Polaroid materials provided to us by our friends and collaborators at 20x24 Studio who have helped us along since the beginning of the New55 FILM project.

Late-Summer (or earlier) delivery is expected.

As always, thank you for your support, and for helping to bring new instant films to life.

The link to the pre-order page:

http://shop.new55.net/collections/frontpage/products/new55-color-experiment-1-preorder?variant=20821132099&utm_source=New55+COLOR+-+PRE-SALE+begins+today&utm_campaign=New55+COLOR+-+pre-sale&utm_medium=email

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: New55 COLOR - instant 4x5 print film PRE-ORDER
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:13:59 PM »
$15/shot? Probably not on my wish list.

I know “because it’s cheap” isn’t on anyone’s list of why they shoot film, but neither is “because I don’t know what else to do with all of this money”.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »
I must admit that they're pushing quite hard on this one.
I think these people should go to khan academy and review the class on marginal cost!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:54:37 PM »
$15/shot is more than I'm willing to spend even though I contributed to their Kickstarter at that price.  I still have one shot left from my Kickstarter reward, I don't think I'll be getting any more of the black and whit either.  It doesn't sound like you get a negative with the color film.   

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
Yes, 75USD plus shipping plus taxes for only five shots is far far far from my budget.

What kind of color does this film is supposed to render? I mean, should it be comparable to Kodak, Fuji... for the pictures in their website, it seems one will get a blueish tone everywhere.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:00:29 AM »
Can, only agree. Far too expensive. With shipping from US and import tax I would end up with well over 100 USD for 5 shots.
With the B&W from my kickstarter award I managed to get a few good shots, but a few were really bad. This was an early batch, but overall I had the feeling I might as well get some expired Type55 from ebay with similar chances of success.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »
I'd love to give this a try but what if I actually like it? Their website says only 400 will be produced - presumably as a result of limited materials left over from Polaroid.  Good luck to them, but I'd prefer to spend my money on something that's got some longevity and continuance of supply.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
They were given some of the remaining polaroid reagent from the 20x24 project, I think to use to see if there is a demand to try and produce colour. If there is any left post payday I may get some.

shot my first one of the bw this weekend, and was very impessed.

But yes it is not cheap...

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 10:21:42 PM »
Can this new film do transfers?

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:32 AM »
I believe it is being done in an effort to 'test demand'. If they do move to full colour 4x5 production. I would hope the price is dropped somewhat, or there are more shots in the pack, but it's never going to be a cheap product.
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
They sold all 400 packs, will be watching the results with interest! Hopefully they work well and do a kickstarter or other to begin producing colour all the time.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »
They sold all 400 packs, will be watching the results with interest! Hopefully they work well and do a kickstarter or other to begin producing colour all the time.

Matt, I might be missing the point or being a bit naive / overly optimistic - so feel free to put me right.... :)

As the former Polaroid manufacturer's chemicals would be quite old, might they not have limited shelf-life? If so, the end results might be that great - but "New 55" would, presumably, have learned a lot about the manufacturing differences between the colour product process and the established B&W process. That would seem to be the most valuable part of making the initial batch of 400 packs.

If they've nailed the process side, presumably new / fresh chemicals should alow them to make better / more consistent product - assuming they don't need to "re-invent the wheel" when it comes to mixing it or something that makes it different from the first batch.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 02:38:13 PM »
Yes you are right, although those chemicals have been stored in a very controlled manner so are in good condition. Or as good as they can be.

According to new55 facebook the chemicals are the easier bit, its the negative and receiver parts that are harder and would need a little work...

But you're right, I think this process shows there is desire for a colour product, which means they may choose to put the effort and resource into that alongside the B&W version.

Their facebook is a good place for info, I find this process of reinventing a peel apart film fascinating and I was very pleased with the first B&W shot I took.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 04:40:42 PM »
Matt,

Thing is - I used to love my SX-70 (pre-TiP) but instant has always been the expensive end of film.  5x4 is a whole lot bigger and I'm reluctant to get too involved - just in case I get a taste for it.

When it gets near £1 per shot, I might "dip in"  ;)

Paul.