Author Topic: Epson V500 problems  (Read 1561 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Epson V500 problems
« on: June 11, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
Well, just one problem: It's decided not to scan 6x12" negatives  :-\

Some history on the machine: I got it refurb'd about 2 years ago, and it's been workhorse reliable since then. Rarely, it tells me that the document mat is present, even though it isn't, but a simple rescan solves that. Anyways, today I finally started scanning my WPC shots from the NYC "I'm walkin' here!" photowalk, and after exactly one 6x12, the Epson just refused to scan any more. It previews fine, I select the area I want to scan, and the scanner dutifully starts scanning, but then it sticks on the little "scanning" dialog box forever. The "time remaining" will change (from anywhere between less than a minute to 1 or 2 hours), but the status bar won't move and no noise comes from the scanner.

35mm is fine.

So .... huh?  ???

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Re: Epson V500 problems
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
On mine I have problems with big negs if the little holes on the end of the holder are dusty, they are used for some kind of calibration and alignment I believe

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
Try acanning without the holder. Neg straight on the glass. Make sure there's at least an inch of glass left at the hinge end. If that works it has to do with your holder.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »
Thanks! I will try these suggestions and report back...

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 04:30:42 PM »
btw, it seems a simple cleaning (dusting) of the holder took care of it! Still seems to take longer than I remember, but at least it works again!

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »
I rarely use my 120 holder (no working mf camera atm) and I have to really clean it before I can get it to recognise the holder

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »
I recently had a similar problem with the v700, when I had a length of negative sticking out of the end of the MF holder; it seems that it blocked some kind of light path and the scanner wouldn't play.

scapevision

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 11:58:17 PM »
anything on top of the upper part of the holder is a no-no, so make sure you're not blocking the registration marks

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 02:54:32 AM »
While on the topic of flatbed scanners, has anyone invested in a new anti-newton glass bed for theirs? I have an Epson 4990 that has a tiny scratch that I sometimes forget about. I've pondered getting some new glass from here.