Author Topic: Ouch!  (Read 3002 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Ouch!
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »
I decided to change my approach a little bit with regard to the use of expired Polacolor 125i, so in recent weeks instead of taking a photo, pulling the film and then leaving it to develop slowly for anything up to several hours - I have been going for a faster, heat-assisted process by sticking the exposed film under my arm until it's ready to peel.

This worked well until last week when I was on holiday, down at the beach and wearing fewer clothes than normal. It turns out that if you put old, exposed, peel apart film in your armpit to process, after a few minutes you will start to feel an uncomfortable itching feeling which rapidly turns into a nasty burning sensation!
 :) :) :)

Ouch indeed.

Any other photography-related injuries to report?

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Ouch!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 06:24:46 PM »
I did split my head a few years ago while trying to shoot off an escalator... I didn't notice the perfectly clean glass panel that separated both stairs.
There's still a picture of it somewhere on the site...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »
So far I have been lucky. Two weeks ago I dropped the RZ67 at home and it landed about 5mm from my bare toe. It left a huge mark in the laminate and a dent in the lens which means I will not use filters with this one any more. I felt somewhere between crying for the lens and floor and happyness for still having a whole foot.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 10:18:50 PM »
ManuelL: That sounds like a very lucky escape....although I totally understand how conflicted you must have felt!!

Ferancois: Of course! I hadn't forgotten the famous escalator incident  :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 10:42:22 PM »
Ed, maybe you should invest in a Polaroid Cold Clip.  I can see possibly getting chemical burns from C-41 chemistry but never thought instant film would do that. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »
Well, the reagent is caustic... But on the upside you're going to get a brand new patch of fresh new armpit skin  ::)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 12:43:37 AM »
My dad worked for Polaroid when I was a young, stupid kid.

I am very familiar with Polaroid burns :o

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
Ed, I didn't know the shore season had started in brighton already ;)
/jonas

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
got some pola goop in my mouth once because I was holding many unpeeled shots between my teeth while taking more, that was nasty! all my clothes, especially around the pockets are covered in the stuff, the old 108/669 goop is very red and stains!

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
I hurt my ego once. The photos were lousy.

Actually - I'm lying, due to me over-large ego. They have often been lousy.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
When I had my own darkroom, I used to use Marigold rubber gloves (other rubber gloves are, of course, available  :o ) to move prints between developer, stop-bath and fixer.  I got a really itchy eye half way through one print and, without thinking, started to scratch my eye with a rubber glove covered in chemicals.  It stung like hell and I spent a good few hours rinsing it.  No harm done but I made sure I used tongs after that......
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 06:17:39 PM »
Well, the reagent is caustic... But on the upside you're going to get a brand new patch of fresh new armpit skin  ::)

...but you have to post it in the "I just picked up..." thread. :)

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
This is a new one Ive never heard of...probably because to speed development usually means its cold, not hot, outside. And thus one would be wearing clothes in that environment and if its cold enough for a jacket, its cold enough to need to warm prints or they will color shift and/or take forever to develop.

Why are you thinking you need to wait that long for 125i anyway? Warming it shouldnt really speed anything up other than shift the colors a bit towards purple/red usually.

It is a 90sec development time film...you dont need to speed it up any faster which I doubt your armpit is capable of doing anyway at 98.6°...or am I missing something?
Helping to keep Instant Photography alive, one camera, one user, one shot at a time.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 01:42:02 AM »
Oh golly, I feel terrible for having a nice chuckle as I read through this thread.  Sorry, Ed!  Yes, look for a cold clip!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
I do have a ton of cold clips....but they weren't available on that beach. They're usually stored in the front section of my Land Cameras. I clearly need to stick one in my camera bag for use with the Bronica :-)