Author Topic: any ms optical lens users here?  (Read 1266 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
any ms optical lens users here?
« on: May 17, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »
there's a surprise book being made in honour for Mr. Miyazaki and they're looking for entries from users.

http://www.japanexposures.com/2015/05/13/call-for-entries-the-perar-book/
/jonas

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: any ms optical lens users here?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 03:30:27 PM »
I wish. I love the design of the wides, especially the 24/4.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »
I just wish I had a camera with M mount to take them.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »
Remember the Industar 3.5/50-2? Quite nice Tessar type and very small. Or the Loreo lens-in-a-cap? Unfortunately it was not good enough for "regular" photography and not bad enough for the downtown league. But I always wondered why there are so few small lenses and so many unnessessary bulky ones. The Loreo on a Dynax (Maxxum) 5 could be stunning if the lens were either better or worse. Looks like MS made it on the better lane!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
There are actually a few very flat lenses for SLR cameras like the Nikon e series 50mm lens.
But as a general rule, making a flat lens for a reflex is pretty hard because of the registration distance that is pretty large. Most SLR lenses need a reverse telephoto design that forces the lens to be somewhat big. On the other hand, rangefinders are on the flat side so you don't need any special design to get them to fit.

And to make things better, ms optical sometimes uses levers instead of rings which makes it possible to set the lens well inside the camera, this is something no other manufacturer that I know has ever done.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
Loreo showed how to make a 5.6/35mm cheap lens with 3 uncoated plastic elements, with mounts for all major slr. If they only had used better and coated glass lenses. Here's a pic of my Dynax 5 with the 50mm industar, together 430 gramm. If you like, read the descrption of the p+s Nikon on Flickr, it was probably Nikons biggest flop.

430 gramms and one oddity
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:58:13 PM by imagesfrugales »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »
I was just going to get rid of the Dynax 5, Reinhold. But that does seem like a really good use for it!