Author Topic: The Getty  (Read 1540 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
The Getty
« on: December 28, 2014, 01:42:53 AM »
My wife and I went up north to Los Angeles to visit the Getty Museum. It is quite a place and if you have a day or two to spend there, it is well worth the time. I personally got mesmerized by a Monet hanging on the wall and spent a good deal more time staring at it than I had intended. There were a couple of photography exhibits. One was modern street photography in Tokyo, which was quite colorful and interesting. The other was Josef Koudelka: Nationality Doubtful. If you don't know the artist, look him up. He photographed conflict, portraits, landscapes, gypsies, etc. He was all over the map both figuratively and literally. Ted Forbes recently did an Art of Photography episode on him.

Anyway, I didn't produce any great art, but I took some snaps with my Voigtlander Bessa 6x9 on some of the curliest Tri-X I have ever tried to develop. So the processing job is not my best, but I think something happened in the tank. Anyway, these give a bit of feel for the place and the day. Note: there is no photography allowed in the photography exhibits. Everywhere else seems fine.

Getty Museum by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Getty Museum by James Harr';s Photos, on Flickr

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: The Getty
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
Funny to imagine that LA is "north" to some people :D Looks like it was a super-bright day :o

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »
Like the shots - especially the 2nd one!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »
Funny to imagine that LA is "north" to some people :D Looks like it was a super-bright day :o
Yeah, I grew up in Washington, so almost everything was south. Now almost everything in the US is north. That took some getting used to. It was a typically bright and sunny autumn day in So. Cal. so shooting this expired Tri-X at iso 100 wasn't a problem outside. The film was a little fogged, so that adds some 'brightness' and atmosphere to the shots as well.

Like the shots - especially the 2nd one!
Thanks Manuel. I only had 2 rolls of 120 and shooting 6x9 meant I only had 16 shots for the day. It was hard to choose which architectural features to shoot since it is sort of an embarrassment of riches there. The sky reflecting in these windows was very nice.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger