Author Topic: Weekend 12th - 14th December  (Read 11303 times)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
Weekend 12th - 14th December
« on: December 11, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
I have recently acquired a brand new Kiev 88CM with a metered prism. I took a Biometar 80mm f2.8 from my Pentacon 6
camera and off I went for a photo walk  in a drizzle and darkness fast coming.

In camera was a roll of Shanghai GP3 100 pushed to 200 that I developed in Promicrol 1+14. I should have pushed it to 400
as all I could shoot at was 1/250s and f4.

Godzilla

Resting

Resting 2
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
Re: Weekend 12th - 14th December
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
It's a few hours early in my part of the world, but please sir, it wasn't me what started it ......

Burnt
by Kevin J Allan, on Flickr

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:41:46 PM »
A skycraper in Sao Paulo through the lens of my actionsampler camera, printed using the cyanotype technic  :)

Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:43:20 PM »
A few months back we were talking about real ale and this Sunday my partner went on the Hunt from Thornbridge Hall the home of Thornbridge Brewery, after the hunt we were invited into the hall for coffee, sausage rolls and mince pies

Foma 400 developed in Rodinal

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »
Had the pleasure of having this one on loan last summer, furious little Italian  ;)
Olympus Trip 35 and a dirty negative I shall clean and re-scan.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
Love that print, Sapata.

Is it cheating if it's still the 11th here?

20141122-002 by knapjack, on Flickr

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »
These were printed during last week or so:

One of the last... by andreios, on Flickr

Wounded Church by andreios, on Flickr

Click here for the whole series from my  pilgrimage to the Holy Mountain.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
Andrej that is one thin donkey! i love the tone in your prints, and Sapata's cyanotype is gorgeous.

Another from the pond "Moonrise"

pond10 by donkerdave, on Flickr

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
DonkeyDave: landscapes aren't really my thing - but your Moonrise is absolutely fabulous. As soon as I saw it I thought "wow!" and a second later I thought of Steichen's Moonrise. When it was sold a few years ago, I think it was then the most expensive colour photo ever sold, although I am aware that modern d*****l bloke Gursky has overtaken him, as is so often the way with contemporary 'art' prices eclipsing the old masters.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
A little bit of color from a Kodak Twin-20 camera on some Kodak Portra 400. It's pretty hard to shoot 400 iso film on the camera. It was a cloudy day and I took off with it.

Scan-141211-0009 by Cadha13, on Flickr

Scan-141211-0007 by Cadha13, on Flickr

The mysterious 13th exposure from that camera.

Scan-141211-0013 by Cadha13, on Flickr

I had fun shooting with that guy. Re-spooling onto 620 spools, using the little flashgun and going to use this for my Christmas photos.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
Cadha, are those photos made around Corrales?
I drive over that way ever so often, we should get together...
Really like the bottom one with that sign and the mtns in the background.

Exccelent start to the weekend...I hope to have something to add later.

Becky

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
Outstanding as usual. I like the track Jack (sorry, couldn't help the rhyme). Andrej, your prints are always so good. The Wounded Church is touching. Cadha, I like the chromatic aberration of that lens. It looks almost like a trichrome that got out of registration.

I went to visit the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum yesterday. It is at MCAS Miramar which is just a couple of miles from my house. If you saw Top Gun then you have seen the base (back when it was NAS Miramar). This is the one pinhole that I didn't over expose. It was taken witht he Harman Titan 4x5 on Harman Direct Positive Paper. The rest of the photos were on Delta 100 in the Speed Graphic. I will probably put them in the Essays forum when I get them scanned.

Leatherneck 1 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »
@Dave: perfect!!!!

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
I am not submitting this weekend (unless I steal my daughters Fuji Instax  ;) ) so I will just be giving out the props to folks!

Volker, that is a wild image. just great.
James, the pinhole of the MIG (15? 17?) is really nice. I have always wanted to try that direct positive stuff.
and Sapata, you are inspiring in how you explore so many different techniques, and make them work!!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Terry

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
Another one from my Massachusetts trip.  An ice cream shack on the off season; Portra 160NC (expired) in my Exakta.

shack par Terry B, on ipernity

And a local shot.  Portra 400 in the Bronica SQ.

wall & berries par Terry B, on ipernity

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 03:51:04 AM »
Volker, that flower shot is outstanding! I'm also loving Terry's vines along the wall. Such gorgeous colors.

I've got three from the new (to me) Minolta Maxxum, the first two using the 70-200mm f4 zoom. The guy who sent me the camera threw in four rolls of Kodak Kodacolor 400 and they're clearly expired. Lots of grain and varying degrees of color shift depending on subject and exposure. The oranges were closer in terms of color, but the woodpile went totally wonky. Kinda interesting, though.

In the third, the colors were less shifty. It's a shot I took with the collaboration in mind, but decided that although I liked its moodiness, it wasn't quite what I was going for. Used the 50mm f1.7.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 05:02:45 AM »
Cadha, are those photos made around Corrales?
I drive over that way ever so often, we should get together...
Really like the bottom one with that sign and the mtns in the background.

Exccelent start to the weekend...I hope to have something to add later.

Becky

I live in Los Lunas, on the far East side of it. Moved back from ABQ, and love it here. I know a few people here are in NM, a group shoot would be a crazy idea on how remote everyone is.

FrankE

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
there are always so many very good images on the weekends, it is quite overwhelming to try and comment on them all

Anderj K I also like the tone in your prints (and the composition) was the toning done during printing (with what) or is a post processing effect in photoshop after scanning?

FrankE

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
Limr, I really like the feeling of the armchair image

your descriptions suggests you do your own colour processing
what chemicals do you use and how long do they last
my film DR work has so far been restricted to B&W
but I do have some unexposed rolls of colour film which are just sitting around (in the freezer) waiting
I just dislike the inconvenience and cost of having colour film developed

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
Fatanstic photos again.
Love Volker's flower and Limr's satsumas. The tonality of Andreij's first print is also stunning.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
Thank you all for your kind response. These are lith prints, mostly done in two tray technique to add (or reduce) the tone and colour from normal lith reaction. No Photoshop other than to match the scan as closely to the print as possible.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 02:32:51 PM »
Limr, I really like the feeling of the armchair image

your descriptions suggests you do your own colour processing
what chemicals do you use and how long do they last
my film DR work has so far been restricted to B&W
but I do have some unexposed rolls of colour film which are just sitting around (in the freezer) waiting
I just dislike the inconvenience and cost of having colour film developed

Thanks! :)
I actually don't do my own color processing other than the one roll I processed as black and white a while back because it had ripped in the camera and was in odd pieces.

I can't put traditional photo chemicals down the drain where I live at the moment, and I don't really have the space or willingness to keep all the used chemicals (other than fixer - can't really get around that!) until I get around to bringing them to a disposal facility. That's a big reason I use Caffenol for black and white - easier on a private septic tank.

I'm lucky enough to have a good place to bring my color to - it's a local camera store that's been in business since 1935 and the guys that work there know what they're doing. And it's a lot cheaper since I have them develop only and I scan at home. As far as I know, they use standard C-41 chemicals (they don't do E6). If I didn't have them around, I doubt I would be shooting much color.

Fatanstic photos again.
Love Volker's flower and Limr's satsumas. The tonality of Andreij's first print is also stunning.

Thanks Manuel :) I don't think I've ever heard those called satsumas before. If I have, I'd forgotten about it. It's a cool name! They're called clementines here, which might be a different variety or just a different name. I have no idea. And I agree - the tones in Andrej's prints are always impressive but the first one this week stands out.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:37:16 PM by limr »
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard those called satsumas before. If I have, I'd forgotten about it. It's a cool name! They're called clementines here, which might be a different variety or just a different name.

You comment made me do some quick research  :)

Both, Clementines and Satsumas seem to be a cross between Orange and Mandarin (although origin is a bit hazy). Clementine is a cross between Mandarin and bitter Orange and Satsuma a cross between Japanese Mandarin and Orange. Clementines have a stronger taste than Satsumas, but Satsumas are a bit easier to peel. Otherwise they are very similar.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard those called satsumas before. If I have, I'd forgotten about it. It's a cool name! They're called clementines here, which might be a different variety or just a different name.

You comment made me do some quick research  :)

Both, Clementines and Satsumas seem to be a cross between Orange and Mandarin (although origin is a bit hazy). Clementine is a cross between Mandarin and bitter Orange and Satsuma a cross between Japanese Mandarin and Orange. Clementines have a stronger taste than Satsumas, but Satsumas are a bit easier to peel. Otherwise they are very similar.

Very cool, thanks! I'm going to look in the supermarkets to see if I can find some satsumas. I seem to remember having eaten them at some point - not quite as sweet but looser skin - but I can't remember when or where. And obviously had no clue what they were called ;D The clementines have become really popular here in the last few years and I love them, but yes, they're a pain in the butt to peel.
Leonore

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »
I won't be posting as i am currently touring with a band in Finland, and it's also difficult to view posts on a phone, but i just had to say that Sapata's print is simply outstanding. More after i get back home :)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »
My contribution is the photo I mentioned in the other thread about workhorse cameras.
This one made with the Pentax K1000.
I had it set up for an all night star trails photo, and about 3 hours in the wind started howling (note the squiggles at the end of the star trails) and blew the camera on its tripod over.
It kept exposing as you can see the star trails go a different direction in the bottom of the frame through the mountains.

Fuji 200 colour print film
I have lots of cameras...but the K1000 is my true love.  it's the one I would keep if I had to get rid of everything.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »
My contribution is the photo I mentioned in the other thread about workhorse cameras.
This one made with the Pentax K1000.
I had it set up for an all night star trails photo, and about 3 hours in the wind started howling (note the squiggles at the end of the star trails) and blew the camera on its tripod over.
It kept exposing as you can see the star trails go a different direction in the bottom of the frame through the mountains.

Fuji 200 colour print film
I have lots of cameras...but the K1000 is my true love.  it's the one I would keep if I had to get rid of everything.

First, that picture is fantastic!
Second, I'm right there with you on the K1000. You'd have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands.
Leonore

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
wow~ some great shots this weekend! :)
/jonas

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »
Just wanted to thanks all the kind words  :)  I'm really proud to be able to show my work alongside all these great images made by you guys!
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 11:54:46 PM »
At the risk of repeating myself... Inspiring stuff again this week.
Andrej's lith prints and sapata's cyanotype proudly flying the flag for alternative processes.
I love Astrobeck's star trails, and Dave's pond series continues to impress. I agree with Zapsnaps with regards to being reminded of Steichen's moonlit pond. (Incidentally, I believe Gurskey's record price has recently been eclipsed by Peter Lik!)

Anyhow... I've just been revisiting some negs from my first trip to Barcelona in 2004.
Gaudi architecture features strongly here.
The b&w shot would be Olympus XA on (I think) Ilford delta400, commercially processed.
The colour shots were taken with the Olympus mju zoom, on fujicolour print film, and the joiner put together from scans in p.s.
I personally, don't think this particular joiner is too successful... but I think it's an interesting concept, and something I'm keen to try again.

Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »
I don't know what she is trying to photograph

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 01:13:19 AM »
Pinhole image, developed in Caffenol. 4 inch focal length, 3 minute exposure

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 01:24:41 AM »
Love those oranges!

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 02:20:06 AM »
Trying something new, Neopan 400 in HC110. Not sure if Im liking it.

Terry

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2014, 01:24:20 PM »
Tintin--I like what you got there.  Nice rich blacks
And I like Leonore's color shift too!

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »
Tin Tin-  I like it too...especially the first one, it's almost metallic and noir all at once.
Nice!
 8)

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 09:19:13 PM »
I have recently acquired a brand new Kiev 88CM with a metered prism. I took a Biometar 80mm f2.8 from my Pentacon 6
camera and off I went for a photo walk  in a drizzle and darkness fast coming.

In camera was a roll of Shanghai GP3 100 pushed to 200 that I developed in Promicrol 1+14. I should have pushed it to 400
as all I could shoot at was 1/250s and f4.

Godzilla

Resting

Resting 2

Wow!  "Resting" is superb ;-)

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
Pinhole image, developed in Caffenol. 4 inch focal length, 3 minute exposure
Very nice!

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »
Trying something new, Neopan 400 in HC110. Not sure if Im liking it.

I like them too ... specially the first one !

Regards

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »
A portrait of my Kiev 4 (type 3, 1.968)

kiev 4 (tipo 3, año 1.968) by Antonio GB, on Flickr

Bronica S2A + Nikkor 75 P f/2.8
Fomapan 100 developed with Rodinal (1+50) 7'30" at 23ºC. Four initial inversions and for each minute (allegro ma non troppo ;-))
Epson V500/Epson Scan
LR 5.7

Have a nice week !!

Regards

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 10:55:58 PM »
Still sunday for a few minutes, so here we go. Again great pictures to see here.

Reloaded disposable camera with flipped lens, RPX400 film, Caffenol solo (no Vit-C), much brown stain, the inverted neg shows blue color.

blue smart by imagesfrugales, on Flickr

blue markings by imagesfrugales, on Flickr

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2014, 12:39:09 AM »
Well, as I'm just now developing my film from this weekend, you'll have to make do with one from a couple weeks ago. Voigtländer Perkeo II, Fomapan 200, semi-stand in Caffenol C-L.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 05:01:43 AM »
Tin Tin-  I like it too...especially the first one, it's almost metallic and noir all at once.
Nice!
 8)

Tintin--I like what you got there.  Nice rich blacks
And I like Leonore's color shift too!

I like them too ... specially the first one !
Regards

Thanks guys for the positive affirmation! Looking forward to playing more with HC110

JoeV

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:42 AM »
Haven't posted in a while, but I recently took some time to expose a few paper negatives in my Speed Graphic. Fujinon 135-5.6 lens, pre-flashed grade 2 RC paper from Freestyle Photo, developed in Tetanal Centrobrom S.

~Joe

Tree002a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Tree001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Kill_Line001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Crack001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Tree004a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2014, 06:08:41 AM »
Those are beautiful. I especially like Kill Line :)