Author Topic: Moving on from Black & White Photography...  (Read 3400 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Moving on from Black & White Photography...
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
This is just to let everyone know that this Friday will be my last day as editor of Black & White Photography.  :'(  Resigning was not a decision that came easily, but I felt the time was right for a change, and so decided that making the leap off the cliff into the swirling seas of the freelance would be the best way to give myself a new challenge! I hope to remain very much involved with photography, especially the writing side, and I have a few plans up my sleeve.

I'm going to miss it enormously, but am geniunely excited about what the future may hold. And the sun's shining!

And given that I'll probably have a bit more time on my hands, I'll probably spend far too much time hanging around Filmwasters (not to mention Facebook), posting pointless drivel. You have been warned... 

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Moving on from Black & White Photography...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:13:13 PM »
Good luck in the swirling seas then Ailsa. Best wishes for your new efforts, and feel free to drivel on here. Thanks for your support in the past, and hopefully we can return the favor. Skorj.

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
Wow Ailsa, that must have been a difficult decision to make. Good luck with your freelance work, I have no doubt that we will continue to see your photos and words here and elsewhere.

You have made Black and White Photography such a great magazine to read under your direction, I hope it continues to be as good under someone else.

Janet

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:37:06 PM »
what a gutter. Let's hope your successor can keep the standards up. All the best
Karl
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:46:34 PM »
Let's hope your successor can keep the standards up.

I can't say I envy him/her. Blimey, what an act to follow!  :o

All the very best, Ailsa. May your future be bright, healthy, happy and obscenely profitable!   ;D

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
Yep, been brilliant. Best of luck in the future and if you are ever passing by....

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
many congrats on your new adventure!!!

I'll miss you at the magazine, but know the allure of freelance is very seductive!!

Hope you make it to  rock-star status fame in the photo world!!!!

:)

Kelly

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:01:32 PM »
Must have been a difficult decision, but the prospect of freelance and working for yourself would be too hard for me to pass up as well.

Wishing you absolutely all the prosperity to come!

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »
Best wishes for the future,  Black & White is the only mainstream Photography magazine i have bought in the last couple of years and always found it inspiring.   You introduced us to many fine photographers, their stories,  and their photographs.  I am sure you will be missed. 

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 09:51:21 PM »
You introduced us to many fine photographers, their stories,  and their photographs.

Eddie - I agree 100%

Ailsa, the best of luck for your future.
L.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 10:42:43 PM »
B&WP is the only UK photo mag worth a damn, in my opinion. I hope you're equally as successful with whatever you do next!

akikana

• 35mm
    • akikana.com
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 11:56:03 PM »
It's probably the only UK magazine that is predominantly about the making of photographs and not the taking of photographs. It is a welcome read each month here in Tokyo and the only UK photography magazine I kept my subscription with and will continue doing so. Ailsa lead a great team and delivered an outstanding product. Long may this continue and wishing Ailsa all the best of good fortune for her future endevours.
-------------------------
www.akikana.com

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 10:36:08 AM »
Thanks everybody - I really appreciate the comments. I've always felt terribly self-indulgent in my editorship of Black & White Photography, and have just featured photography that I love. It's just lucky that other people have liked it too!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 12:43:33 AM »
Good luck, Ailsa. Thanks for your brief patronage of our humble little site in B&WP, it was an honour. Enjoy your retirement...maybe our Phil could give you some tips on how that works out  ;D ;D

Re the self-indulgence part in your second post; I thinks that's how it should be. Too many things are being done by committee these days. It's great to find someone who goes with their heart/head and publishes stuff she believes in. I'm very interested to see how the first issue without you fares. I hope you did the right thing and left a good team in place.

Ditch Facebook though. There's no need for all that malarkey. Nice and quiet here. The joys of a snoozy backwater website  ;)

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
See what happens when I go out of town for a week? :( Seriously, Ailsa, all the best in your new endeavors and looking forward to your continued commentary on these pages! :)
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com