Author Topic: Here's what happens when you fall asleep while developing film  (Read 2695 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Here's what happens when you fall asleep while developing film
« on: September 30, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »
I went to see a couple of friends' bands at a place in Brooklyn called the Silent Barn. The Silent Barn is DARK. They don't bother with such luxuries as stage lights or anything. I was already planning on pushing Tri-X to 1600, but turns out I had to expose at 3200, maybe even 6400. Basically I opened wide (1.7) and shot at either 1/15" when I wanted the background to be relatively steady, or 1/4" when I didn't care if my hands shook the photo.

So when I got home, late, tired, drunk, of course I decided that I had to develop the film right away. The plan was to semi-stand in Rodinal 1:100 for an hour, but I fell asleep after the inversion at 1/2 hour, and woke up 5.5 hours later. So what you're seeing is Tri-X @ 3200 stand-developed in Rodinal for SIX HOURS. Amazingly, the highlights were no more blown out than I expected from the 1 hour development (though the shadows probably didn't benefit very much either). And in a weird twist of events, the fact that the film base itself got way overdeveloped (the entire roll, edges and between exposures, was light brown) actually helped my V500 detect the exposure borders, so I could use the auto-thumbnail feature to save time.

So anyways, here without further ado are the results. Black, black, black, oh look there's something that might be a person's face! :D

Wait, is timor here? No? Good, I'll go ahead and say it ... Rodinal 1:100 will develop ANYthing [c] Indofunk Satish :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:05:38 AM by Indofunk »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Here's what happens when you fall asleep while developing film
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »
HA! Rodinal "lie down" development!  ;D

The beauty of this method is that once the developer is exhausted at the film surface, that's all you get. Probably over 5.5 hours there is some bulk diffusion of active developer to the emulsion, but apparently not enough to over-develop anything. I like the shots. Very moody.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »
HA! Rodinal "lie down" development!  ;D

The beauty of this method is that once the developer is exhausted at the film surface, that's all you get. Probably over 5.5 hours there is some bulk diffusion of active developer to the emulsion, but apparently not enough to over-develop anything. I like the shots. Very moody.

Yeah, that's why I didn't panic when I woke up 6 hours later :) There also wasn't nearly as much bromide drag as I thought there would be (maybe because the bottom of the negs were dark anyways :D ). I just did a little graduated ND filtering in LR and it was fine.

Now I have another phrase to copyright ... "lie down" development  ;D ;D

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 05:21:38 PM »
Timor will be here soon he used to go on at me for using Rodinal on another forum, it could be my fault because I said he might like it here

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:34:57 PM »
Timor will be here soon he used to go on at me for using Rodinal on another forum, it could be my fault because I said he might like it here

No, that's fine, I was only joking. I'm just being overly ebullient over the Rodinal stand (lie down) thing, so I'm making broad generalizations about it, which of course tend to be untrue :)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
Try mixing 12grams of sodium sulphite with it

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
I heard about that. What does that do again?

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
I think it makes it work like a compensating developer

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 04:44:12 AM »
I actually like these

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
These are funky!

Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)