Author Topic: Joni Sternbach tin type surf photos kickstarter project  (Read 2456 times)

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
Joni Sternbach tin type surf photos kickstarter project
« on: June 19, 2014, 08:51:51 AM »
You may have noticed that most of my photos are around the beach and surfing...

Joni Sternbach takes amazing images of surfers around the world using the tin type process on a large format camera.

She has a kickstarter here for her book (which I have backed) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1917540131/surf-site-tin-type

I'm also excited to see she is coming to Cornwall, UK, where I live this summer, so I hope to see the process first hand, and who knows, maybe even grab my wetsuit and try and get in a shot, or grab my camera and try and get one of her and her camera. or both?!

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Re: Joni Sternbach tin type surf photos kickstarter project
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
I really like these tin types. A cool idea, really well executed.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:53:59 AM »
Her surf work is a big reason I got interested in wet plate.  Really great stuff.

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:28:27 AM »
Those are great. Some of those remind me of Edward S. Curtis' photos.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:12:55 AM »
Just bumping this as Joni is in Cornwall now incase any of you are. I hope to see her to see the process, get a pic taken and shoot one of her with her camera if im lucky this weekend.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:38:16 AM »
How long is she there for im coming down on the 11 September to see family in St Ives

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:00:16 PM »
You'll have missed her by then unfortunately  but enjoy St Ives. I recommend the fire house for some nice food :-)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »
Very nice.

I think I'll have to set up a Kickstarter for a project I've got in mind to produce a book of photos of rum and cigar factories in Cuba  ;)  8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »
You'll have missed her by then unfortunately  but enjoy St Ives. I recommend the fire house for some nice food :-)
I've never had a good meal in St Ives will be in the Castle on Fore Street most nights but we are down for the music and arts festival just hoping Wille and the Bandits will there this year and Tom Dale, last year I told you I had seen those Shanty singers from your town not sure if they are back again
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:50:02 PM by gsgary »

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
Very nice.

I think I'll have to set up a Kickstarter for a project I've got in mind to produce a book of photos of rum and cigar factories in Cuba  ;)  8)
HCB did a book on the prostitution in cuba that could do with a new edition:D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »
Very nice.

HCB did a book on the prostitution in cuba that could do with a new edition:D

Interesting thought but, on reflection, I think I'll pass on that.  I know which side my bread is buttered on and Mrs LD would definitely not approve.... :o

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
I don't want this to come across as criticism because I think her photos are very good. But why not approach a publisher and let them front the money for producing a book? She has a body of work and some name recognition. It seems like she could easily get a gallery showing or five and be off to the races with a book in print within a year. So why a kickstarter? I recently saw another kickstarter where the guy was just raising money to buy himself an 8x10 field camera. He wasn't producing anything to sell, he just wanted people to buy him some new gear! I guess you'll never get people to give you stuff if you don't ask, but I am having trouble getting my head around the motivation behind giving to these 'causes'. I did give to the New55 kickstarter because they are trying to produce something to sustain analog photography. Anyone have some insight that I'm missing here?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
kickstarters certainly provoke opinion from people that's for sure, especially from big companies like lomography.  I have no idea how easy it would be to get a publisher etc? Maybe it makes that part easier to do independently. I'll be honest I didn't think about it.

I like the idea of a trip to cuba to make a rum book though, infact that sounds perfect! need a tripod carrier do you?  :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
kickstarters certainly provoke opinion from people that's for sure, especially from big companies like lomography.  I have no idea how easy it would be to get a publisher etc? Maybe it makes that part easier to do independently. I'll be honest I didn't think about it.

I like the idea of a trip to cuba to make a rum book though, infact that sounds perfect! need a tripod carrier do you?  :)

I could help empty the bottles of rum.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »
Fair play to Joni.  If there's enough people who like her work and perceive what she's trying to achieve, by way of a kickstarter, as credible and support-worthy, who are we to disagree?  I posted a bit tongue in cheek as we all have dreams and ambitions but a lot of us wouldn't go down the kickstarter route. Maybe we should?

I've recently supported a kickstarter. I'll post more details elsewhere but it was for a guy who has produced a superb set of books (35mm, MF, LF and darkroom) which offer a very quick way of recording what the digerati would refer to as EXIF data - i.e. kit, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and a host of other useful stuff some of us have tried (and mostly failed) to log properly down the years. The book's cover is also very deliberately 18 percent grey, matte finish and very usable as a grey card.  It is such a cool and useful piece of kit and not expensive, IMO.

Kickstarters are obviously useful and popular - you've just got to present the idea in a way that appeals (no pun intended).

Incidentally, Mrs LD is (as many of the UK FW'ers know) the "official" tripod carrier... ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:24:58 PM by Late Developer »

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
yeah I personally don't mind them, if you don't like it don't back them, pretty simple.  I backed this one to get a book I'd have bought anyway but to get a signed copy and feel like I have helped her achieve her goal. Anyway this has been covered before  :)

Let's get back to planning drinking rum in Cuba... certainly very high on my wish list

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
I'm planning drinking Skinners beer and Proper Job

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 01:44:57 AM »
I don't want this to come across as criticism because I think her photos are very good. But why not approach a publisher and let them front the money for producing a book? She has a body of work and some name recognition. It seems like she could easily get a gallery showing or five and be off to the races with a book in print within a year. So why a kickstarter? I recently saw another kickstarter where the guy was just raising money to buy himself an 8x10 field camera. He wasn't producing anything to sell, he just wanted people to buy him some new gear! I guess you'll never get people to give you stuff if you don't ask, but I am having trouble getting my head around the motivation behind giving to these 'causes'. I did give to the New55 kickstarter because they are trying to produce something to sustain analog photography. Anyone have some insight that I'm missing here?

Maybe because working with publishing companies sucks. She is well known for what she does, and has another book out already, plus has done shows, etc. I think that kickstarter is just a good way to do what you want, to produce exactly what you want, without giving control to some corporate entity. And you get a book for your "donation", with a print if you choose. Seems practical to me.

Now the guy doing a kickstarter so he doesn't have to buy himself a camera seems a bit shady. I actually know someone who did this recently, and people gave him money. I would have trouble doing this myself!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
well I went along and met Joni yesterday which was cool, I was also lucky enough to be a part of one of her pics. Saw the tintype process which is incredible and also managed to snap a pic of her and her camera myself, although I did have 3 sheets of polaroid 4x5 fail which was very frustrating! but overall a great day and it was pretty great to be in a photo from one of my personal favourites.