Author Topic: Faces of the North - Ragnar Axelsson  (Read 12201 times)

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
Faces of the North - Ragnar Axelsson
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:37 PM »
Gutted, but I live in hope. I turned on the tv to find I'd missed 45 minutes of a 1 hour documentary about one of my favourite photographers, Ragnar Axelsson. I was put on to his work by Ailsa, who reviwed his book, a good few years ago when she was at B&W Photography Magazine. It was on BBC4 so I'm hoping for a repeat or iplayer!

If you get a chance to watch it then do, his pictures are  really amazing.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Faces of the North - Ragnar Axelsson
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:54:22 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
thanks Peter, I can look forward to seeing the whole thing. While he was using some very expensive digital cameras (including what looked like a Hasselblad H series while getting hit by waves while standing in the sea!) a lot of the photos were taken on film using a Leica.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »
Watched part of this last night. Really amazingly beautiful work. I've not been in utter awe of photos in a long time so it was very enjoyable for me :)
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »
@ Karl. Thanks for mentioning this guy's name. I'd never heard of him before and I'm always delighted to find another source of inspiration. Superb photos and I will definitely have to look at his work more closely.

@ Peter R. Thanks for the links Peter. I haven't seen much telly of late. However, I will definitely check out the i-Player link.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
"Not available in your area."

Darn!   :P

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
"Not available in your area."

Darn!   :P

Yep, I also experienced that but I least I could watch this short one, still worth it I believe:

http://www.sagenhaftes-island.is/en/podcast-of-the-month/nr/1537

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
here's a link to his website
http://www.rax.is/
I guess the video link on the website is the same as the one listed above, a 6 minute trailer. Still worth it. The book Faces of the North is really worth getting if it's in print.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
calbisu, thanks very much.  That's a splendid video and the photographer's work is quite well done.

Jeff

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »
Wow. What an amazing photographer. And that video, Carlos, is wonderful!
mojave

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »
I've just watched the first 40 mins in my commute. I think this is the only time I have wished that the HIgh Speed 1 train to slow down so I could see the whole thing.

Very moving photography by a very sensitive photographer.  
L.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »
Just watched it. Stunning. Makes me really miss Iceland, especially the language and the people. That and I really, really want to go to Greenland.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
A bit "off-topic" but connected.....

Has anyone (in the UK) watched Sigur Ros "Heima" on Sky Arts 1?

The only exposure I've had to Icelandic culture is the "Cod Wars" in the early 1970's (when I was in my early teens), a demented little pixie calle Bjork (whose voice sends me running for the hills) and cancelled flights due to volcanic eruptions, so I'm no great expert .

However, the Heima video is shot beautifully and the music, though "unusual" when compared to the current mainstream, has a wonderfully lyrical and melancholic character. Definitely worth watching if you have chance.....

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
What really strikes me, out of the wonderful shots, and the amazing perseverance of the photographer by going again and again to greenland, is that the photographer acknowledges the difficulty/impossibility to keep on his own as a freelance photographer, and as result having to work for others. It offers quite an inhospitable panorama for creative photography  :-\

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »
Bbc won't let me watch this. Saw the short video and it looks pretty damn good.

Anyway, since I saw Heima i've been wanting to go to Iceland.

I guess I'll try to find this movie trought other means...

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 07:49:17 PM »
Sigur Ros are heavily payed in the UK as TV soundtrack material. The BBC used one of their albums to accompany the Planet Earth series - Takk I think.

If you like them you might also like....
http://www.johannjohannsson.com/
http://www.myspace.com/johannjohannsson

Going slightly off topic I know but I do love my music.

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »
all right did some seaching. there's a way of seeing it if you can change your proxy into one from england.
there are add-ons for firefox and google crome that can manage proxies easier, so you can switch them faster.

i'll look more into it when i get home. ;)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
Great stuff. Thanks for the recommendation and the iPlayer link. Have queued it on iPlayer on my phone and will DL it next time I'm near a wireless connection.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
I first saw Rax's work in Ailsa's B&W mag - work from the Faeroe Islands - and particularly one image of two brothers, one facing the camera the other not - taken in the rain. I must recommend the Faeroes as a photo destination too. http://www.rax.is/Gallery/Faroe_Islands/index.html

astrobeck

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »
Very inspirational and enlightening.

He's the sort of photographer I could follow around for years and learn so much.
So many lessons to learn from this.

I see the body of work as simple but also complex in revealing a lifestyle we seldom hear about or see.

Thanks for posting!

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 09:36:52 AM »
Googling I found this short interview to Ragnar Axelsson, mostly about cameras he uses (Pentax 67 is between them  :o ) interview is from blogspot 'Batteries not included'

http://silfver.blogspot.com/2006/10/ragnar-axelssons-faces-of-north.html

Ragnar was kind enough to send me a free, signed copy of his book - and just returning from an assignment up in the mountains where he photographed sheep roundups across over a hundred mountaintops he was more than happy to provide some additional information about his photography.
=======================================================================================
What camera(s) were you using for taking the photos in the book "Faces of the North"?
Ragnar: I used a Leica M4-P and Leica M6. I also use a Mamiya 7 (6x7 images), Linhof 6x12 and a few shots are taken with a Pentax 6x7.

Do you have any film preference when you go on assignments like these and if so which one(s)?
Ragnar: I used mostly Kodak Tri-X - but I did end up also using Kodak Technical Pan 25 which I rated at 50. I find it to be a difficult film to develop - but the results are great. I am currently trying to use Kodak TMAX 100 and I like it a lot as the grain is very fine - but Tri-X is still close to a perfect film I think.

How did you end up using Leica cameras?
Ragnar: I've used Leicas since 'the beginning' since my father, who was an avid photographer himself, used them and I find the lenses to be great.

How did the Leicas perform during what seems to be quite extreme weather conditions?
Ragnar: In the colder climates like in Greenland it was the only camera that still worked perfectly through the cold without getting stuck. I can't say the same about my Mamiya and a Canon that I tried out on that trip.
The cold got down to -40 Celcius (-40 Fahrenheit).

What lenses do you bring with you when shooting images like the ones featured in this book?
Ragnar: Most of the time I used lenses with a focal length from 21mm up to 50mm on my Leica(s) and a 43mm on my Mamiya 7. I also brought a 200mm lens for my Pentax camera in case there would be polar bears coming in a bit close. I prefer wider lenses and really only use long lenses when I do editorial work in sports and news for my paper. Doing documentary work I much rather prefer wide lenses.

Who are your own icons - or who inspires you?
Ragnar: There are many. I look at photographs from all around the world and many photographers makes me feel happy just seeing their work.
I do like the old masters like W. Eugene Smith a lot and the old LIFE photographers which I think were great and they inspiered me a lot. Mary Ellen Mark is a good friend of mine and I like her work and her passion for photography a lot. Henry Cartier bresson is also one of my favorite.
Nowadays I think James Nachtwey is one of the greatest ones - he is quiet and is always showing some great stuff.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
Just bumping this old topic as Ragnar Axelsson is one of my absolute faves......

If anyone's interested in buying a copy of what looks like a new pressing of "Faces of the North", have a look at the following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ragnar-Axelsson-Faces-North/dp/993542040X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409228047&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=%22rangar+axelsson%22+%22faces+of+the+north%22

I've ordered mine - should be here in time for Christmas.  Lara's buying it for me - she just doesn't know yet.... ;)

John

• JB Photography Galleries
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
Such a wonderful photographer. His photo of the child in the church is heartbreaking, and also very beautiful. Full of the hope and strength of the human spirit. I love his conversations with his old gentleman friend, so friendly and what a willing subject.

Well, well worth a watch.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 11:22:58 PM »
Agreed, John, but this is a re-pressing of the book.  Copies have sold for silly money (just check Amazon and Abebooks) so getting a copy for £40(ish) is little short of a miracle.

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »
I was lucky enough to be in Reykjavik last month and see this as an exhibition. The 35mm tri-x images enlarged to mural size were incredibly beautiful. Also they had his cameras on display + the video. My kids normally get a bit bored in galleries - but they loved this exhibition.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
I was lucky enough to be in Reykjavik last month and see this as an exhibition. The 35mm tri-x images enlarged to mural size were incredibly beautiful. Also they had his cameras on display + the video. My kids normally get a bit bored in galleries - but they loved this exhibition.

Lucky bugger, I'd love to have seen that.  I'll have to make do with the book - which I hope is identical to the original print.  I must also see about getting a copy of the video.  I had it recorded off Sky Arts1 but lost it when we moved over to a new 2 terrabyte box as you can't move stuff from one Sky box to another or burn it to a disc according to the Sky engineer. I don't think it's made an appearance on the catch up or downloadable options yet, either...