Author Topic: Durst 138S...Have you used it?  (Read 1686 times)

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
Durst 138S...Have you used it?
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »
I bloke near me is selling his whole Durst 138s Kit. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231315647254
Has anyone used these before? What do you think is a reasonable price to offer for this?

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Durst 138S...Have you used it?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:38:14 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, I always loved Durst. They made some of the best enlargers out there. The only thing about them is that there are fewer parts floating around on the used market so you have to make sure you get the whole kit or else it might be a while until you find what you're looking for.

As for the price, it pretty much depends on the local market. Here in Quebec, the market is pretty much dead for lab gear so it's easy to pick-up good gear for peanuts. But it might not be so in Australia...

Just as a comparison, I got an Omega in mint condition for free when I bought a 175$ Graflex...
But let me tell you that I would definitely have splurged on a Durst.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 04:53:39 PM »
I've recently bought one.. It is always a question of actual offer / demand.. Paid around 200€ for mine without lenses. The one you linked has complete set of condensers which is important (they tend to be very pricey when sold separately) and this might pull the price upwards a bit. Also other accessories - easel, focuser - make it more attractive. In the end, it all depends on what you are willing to pay :)
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
I was offered 6 enlargers to choose from for free last year but don't have room at the moment but I wish I had put one up in the roof for a later date

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
Check a site like Craigslist or Kijiji (I don't know if they're available in AU.).
You can sometimes find a good deal on an Omega D2 (mine's the D-II and it's not as functional), a Besseler 45 or one of the larger Durst.

I have an LPL in a smaller format and can say it's definitely not as good as the above brands.

And if you can find a SaltHill, jump on it!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. Will hold tight and see how much i can get this baby for!

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:11:10 AM »
I was offered 6 enlargers to choose from for free last year but don't have room at the moment but I wish I had put one up in the roof for a later date

My new rule is to never pass up another free enlarger, in hopes that there is an opportunity to improve my enlarger lens. :)