Author Topic: 1-Hour Photo  (Read 3432 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
1-Hour Photo
« on: June 12, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
This app for iPhone makes you wait an hour to get your photo's, more reason to just shoot film. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1-hour-photo/id871725403?mt=8

Does anyone still have a 1-hour photo service that they can use?  The Rite-Aid drug store near my home just took down the 1-hour photo sign in their store about 2 months ago.  They haven't offered the service for years so I don't know why they left it up as long as they did.  At least they still sell Fujifilm. 

If this app catches on I have a great idea for a few other apps, the Mail-in Photo app, you would have to wait a week for your photos to develop.  The Home Darkroom app, you choose the chemicals and set your development times and temperatures and wait for your film to develop and dry.  Then you get a negative (or positive if you process as reversal) that you have to manipulate into your photo.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Re: 1-Hour Photo
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
There's a little card shop not far from me which still has the 1 hour photo machine in the back of the shop.
I've used them a few times lately as I've not shot enough colour to justify buying one of the 1L dev. kits.

They only run the machine once a week now, and I do keep expecting the next time i go in it'll have gone. Which would be a shame.

That phone app just sounds like some ludicrous hipster fad, though!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
Plenty still available in the UK - but mostly in the bigger towns and cities.  That said, my friend (a professional wedding and commercial photographer) also runs a small camera shop and photo processing / printing business in the next village to me in Essex.  He will do 1 hour printing for C41.  If I need a rush job, I leave the film (35mm or 120) and go for a sup of tea.  He'll also scan the film on his Noritsu (?) machine at the same time and the scans are good - so long as he turns the sharpening down / off.

Here's one I picked up today....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »
Here, there's only one of our two local WalMart that still offer the service. But saying it's expensive is an understatement! At 6$ + tax processing only, lets just say they only get an occasional roll.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:37:20 PM »
There used to be a little Mom & Pop (literally ... an elderly Japanese couple) in Greenpoint (Brooklyn) that did color for $2 and B&W for $4. I used to bring them so many rolls that a friend of mine joked that I was putting their grandkids through college. Then I started home-developing and a month later they went out of business :o Needless to say, that friend of mine accused me of putting them out of business ;D Turns out they were planning on retiring and had sold their C41 machine to a nearby frame store. I hear that store now charges $5 or something and doesn't do B&W.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 10:06:07 PM »
walmart must have upped the price again. It used to be $3 at walmart in ontario. Then they upped it to $5. Here in the city now there's a place that butchers my negs for $5 a pop. If I want good processing its usually going to be around $10 a roll - but thats at a pro lab.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:34:13 PM »
Yeah, CRC Vista+ here is $9-and-change per roll. But I'm pretty sure that my home-developing comes out cheaper.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
If I want good processing its usually going to be around $10 a roll - but thats at a pro lab.
You're lucky! That's the price from the drugstore with prints around here.
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 11:30:42 PM »
I don't remember what my local lab charges, but it's around $5/roll. I got sick of getting negatives with artifacts, so I figured I could do no worse and bought a Unicolor C-41 kit. I've done about 30-40 rolls now and only had problems with a handful (my first roll or two didn't get enough blix time, I think). At $19+shipping and my time (which I don't count because I enjoy the process), I figure I'm easily under $2/roll for C-41.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »
My local camera store (in business since 1939, still staffed by film guys) still does 1-hour C-41 for a little over $3/roll. If you're a friendly regular, they'll often do it while you wait and chat (~20 minutes).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »
I enjoy the development process because I feel more like it's something I made, which is important to me in a hobby.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »
Unicolor is $19?? Damn, I may have to switch from Tetenal :D I've heard less-than-positive things about Unicolor though ... I take it your experiences have been positive? (I mean, since you got the blix thing worked out)

Also, I mainly (exclusively?) process bleach bypass or crossprocess E6 film in C41, so color balance, etc, is clearly not that important to me  ;D

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 01:07:11 AM »
Unicolor is $19?? Damn, I may have to switch from Tetenal :D I've heard less-than-positive things about Unicolor though ... I take it your experiences have been positive? (I mean, since you got the blix thing worked out)

Also, I mainly (exclusively?) process bleach bypass or crossprocess E6 film in C41, so color balance, etc, is clearly not that important to me  ;D

The price is what got me to go for Unicolor. I had never developed color film before and I figured if I couldn't get the hang of it, or it was too much of a pain (which was my primary fear - I'm glad to report that it's much easier than I thought), I was only out $20.

I haven't tried any other C-41 kits, so I can't compare, but I'm happy with it. Here's an example from a couple of weeks ago.

An E-6 kit is my next development challenge.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »
All gone from my town. I live in Olympia, the capital of Washington state and there is no film processing, and no film or any type available as far as I know. You might find a one use camera but I'm not even sure about that. There is (I guess it is still there) a camera store with in house processing about 30 miles away in Lakewood.

Yep, it is mail order for everything and I do my own B&W.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
All gone from my town. I live in Olympia, the capital of Washington state and there is no film processing, and no film or any type available as far as I know. You might find a one use camera but I'm not even sure about that. There is (I guess it is still there) a camera store with in house processing about 30 miles away in Lakewood.

Yep, it is mail order for everything and I do my own B&W.

John, I live a little North of you in Bothell where there are a few more options nearby.  I know Panda Labs in Seattle process film but they don't have a mail order service.  I don't use them very often because I don't want to fight traffic in and out of Seattle. 

http://pandalab.com

Glazer's camera in Seattle has a great selection of film, chemistry and darkroom supplies.

http://www.glazerscamera.com

Kenmore Camera near my house has some chemistry and darkroom supplies but it's limited (no Rodinal).  They also have a few display cases full of film cameras. 

http://www.kenmorecamera.com

I don't know of any 1- hour photo services in the Seattle area.  I mail my film to The Darkroom in San Clemente, California.  I usually can download my scans in less than a week of putting the film in the mail.

http://thedarkroom.com

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 07:56:51 PM »
they should have a roll delay function in that app, so you can only shoot 36, 24 exposure at a time, with a 5 minute wait in between to reload a new roll;D And the photos only start 'developing' a hour after you finish that roll.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »
They should also add a take-up spool manipulation process with a drop in the grass option  :P
Francois

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 10:37:56 PM »
John Robinson, where have I been? I am from Olympia, went to school there and Centrailia college....had no idea there was someone new here from Olympia, let alone Washington state.i am about 8 hours away in north central Idaho.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 11:39:26 PM »
John Robinson, where have I been? I am from Olympia, went to school there and Centrailia college....had no idea there was someone new here from Olympia, let alone Washington state.i am about 8 hours away in north central Idaho.

North central? That's the sketchy part of Idaho, I'll stay here where it's safe in southwestern Idaho.  8)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:41:04 PM by thatguychad »