Author Topic: What 6x6 to recommend?  (Read 2388 times)

Mike Crawford

• 35mm
    • mike-crawford.co.uk
What 6x6 to recommend?
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »
Hello

I've been doing some teaching at a university and one student is very interested in getting a 6x6 camera. Sadly none in the camera stores. I said I would have a think about what to recommend. Budget is an issue, so wondering what people would think would be the best option for around £150. I was thinking perhaps a Yashica 124 with maybe some money left over to buy some film? Also, it has a light meter. I used an old Yashica 635 for years before I could afford a Rolleiflex, but then I wondered about Bronicas. Never used one myself, but seeing work done by friends it looks a great option. May be a bit too much budget wise but any thoughts? Also, which is the best model.

Camera has to be square format and not plastic lens type. (She's interested in using a Holga/ Diana too but that's a different story.) I don't think an old folder would be applicable.  Would be grateful for an other ideas.

Suddenly I remembered Mamiya TLRs. Perhaps this sort of thing?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exc-Mamiya-C3-TLR-w-80mm-lens-6x6-Medium-Format-Twin-Lens-West-Yorkshir-/131189430423?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item1e8b7fd897

At least now students can use an app for a light meter!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: What 6x6 to recommend?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »
The Yashica TLRs are a great option for a first MF camera - high quality, cheap, reliable, and readily available. That's the direction I'd go.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »
If you dig, there are probably multiple threads on the forum about this very question. Really, outside of a hasselblad or similar expensive setup, output is pretty similar for most 6x6 cameras. Really comes down to what onei is willing to spend, and what is most comfortable to use. A good working Yashica will work fine. I love my Bronica...if looking at them, get and S2 or S2A. Plus you can swap lenses. If that isn't a concern, there are plenty of TLRs that basically do the same thing, with different levels of control. I've never used the Mamiya TLR but I've heard good things. It's heavy, so portablility is another factor. When i was in Japan, I actually bought a Yashica because I liked it, and The Bronica was very heavy and cumbersome to carry around, particularly when carrying other cameras at the same time. Most TLRs are light and easy to work with all day long.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
I think she has to decide about waist level over eye level, and perhaps she has done if already discounting a folder.  My 1934 Rolleiflex weighs 700g and its Tessar is perfect for a walkaround.  I'd guess a loaded Mamiya TLR weighs double that.  Early Rolleicords are good too, and can still be found on eBay for less than a ton.  Limited experience to be honest, but I've found my Rolleis to be more 'solid' and much quieter than the Yashicas I've seen.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:58:43 PM »
I have both a YashicaMat and a Yashica A.
Yashicamat has a really beautiful lens but it can go for a surprisingly high price.
The Yashica A has only a 3 element lens, so it isn't quite as sharp as the Mat... but generally speaking, it's still a pretty good performer for the price. The only things it really lacks are automatic film advance (it has a red window) and a bright screen (that can be fixed by this guy http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html).

I also used a Zeiss Ikon Nettar folder. Nice camera, all manual in every conceivable way. The lens is decent but I like the TLR's better, especially if they have the sports finder like on the Yashica. I find it a nice touch for those times where you don't want to look down...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »
I agree with Moominsean, the Mamiya C3 is an excellent camera but is not very portable.  It's big and heavy compared to a Rolleiflex or Yashica.  I get a lot more use out of my Rolleiflex because of that. 

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 11:15:30 PM »
I'd recommend a nice, folding 6x6 coupled rangefinder.  You can pick up a good working example for less than £50, very portable, very easy to use and enough money left over for a decent hand-held meter and a few rolls of Ilford's finest....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:39:41 AM »
I don't have one, but am considering the purchase of a Pentacon Six TL. Nice modular system with good glass choices. If that is out of the budget, the Pentacon's low-rent cousin the Kiev 66 might also be an option if she doesn't mind tinkering.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:24:24 AM »
I was carrying around 3 cameras yesterday (not at the same time). All 6x6, a Mamiya C330 (60mm), a Bronica S2A (50 and 75mm) and a Yashica-Mat 124 G. I started with the Bronica to shoot off the remaining roll, when switching to the Mamiya everything felt more comfortable to handle with better weight distribution. When switching to the yashica it felt similar to the mamiya but I did not notice the significant weight reduction until I was walking on hills. but I was carrying about 5kg in a nap sack.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:31:44 AM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:37 AM »
I would also recommend the Yashica's (I have the Yashicamat & Yashica 24), the former I have given to my son who is studying film & television at university and he loves it. Within your price budget there's the Mamiya 220, Pentacon Six etc. and not forgetting the Chinese Seagull TLR
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »
I posted up this thread last year when I was a MF noob. Everyone here helped contribute to my acquisition of a great condition SQ-A

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=5581.msg65879#msg65879

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
I'll second, or third, the vote for the Yashicamat. I think bang for your buck you can't do better.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Mike Crawford

• 35mm
    • mike-crawford.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »
Many thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions. Have e mailed her with lots of suggestions and links. While the Bronicas can go for a lot more than £150, they can be found for less than that. Yashica may well be the best option and some really good prices around for them. Very fair point about the weight of Mamiya TLRs! In research I've found some goodies I rather fancy but will resist the urge!

Thanks again.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »
Slightly off the topic, and well over your students budget, but anyone looking for a 'different' 6x6 might like to know that a leading on-line auction site has a soon-to-end mint condition Kowa SIX which looks fantastic. I'd love to see it go to a FW - that way I could ogle it first hand at a meet-up  ;D
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
if it matters the older yashica uses the old shutter speeds. If you do get one depending on shutter be careful not use selftimer and m! On some models the shutter speed should be set before cocking the shutter.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:06:32 PM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

minicoop1985

• 35mm
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
Call me nuts (I know, I saw that an old folder isn't overly desirable), but a Franka Rolfix I fits the bill pretty nicely. Schneider Radionar, Prontor shutter, and it's very, very easy to use. Multiple formats even-mine has a plate to convert it from 6x9 to 6x6 and has two film advance red windows. Because it's an old folder and fairly unknown, it might be a little easier to get in that budget than most anything else.

Otherwise, she interested in a Bronica? Sometimes they can be had for cheap.
Many rolls of film died to bring us this information.