Author Topic: Dates for the first annual FW New York "Hey, I'm walkin' here!" get-together  (Read 21400 times)

Terry

Yeah, the NC leans toward the blues and magenta.  Also, this stuff is five years out of date, so that probably has some effect.

My last roll (Acros) is drying.  Going to post some more b&w soon.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:10:41 PM by Terry »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
I've posted all of my photos I deemed worth posting in a separate gallery page, which you can find here: http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/gallery/filmwasters-hey-im-walkin-here-photo-walk-may-2014/

What gallery plugin do you use on wordpress?

And while I'm asking questions, what did you say the differences were between your Canon L1 and the Canon P's?

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
Before Terry's Acros shots, I'm going to sneak in some more color ones.

I shot all color that day, which is a little unlike me. My color shots tend not to be as good as my b&w ones for whatever reason, but I was really pleased with how these rolls turned out. I think I was picking up on all the ambient talent around me :)

And talk about crazy color, it was already so green in those woods, and then the light got crazy good as we reached the edge of town again.
These are Gold 200, straight from the scanner with no edits other than some very slight cropping and dust removal:

Golden hour train by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Willow by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Here a two that came out well from the ONDU 35mm pinhole I had along.

(Just realized I forgot to clean the dust off this shot. That'll have to wait until after laundry! :) And the camera seems to leave scratches on the film.)

Waterfall by limrodrigues, on Flickr

And some filmwasters wasting some film!

Wasting film by limrodrigues, on Flickr
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Wow, that willow shot!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Love the top one and the bottom blur

Terry

And the train shot too--lovely stuff!

Well, let it never be said that I can't follow orders; here's some more b&w:

enroute par Terry B, on ipernity

coldspringmeter par Terry B, on ipernity

coldspring13 par Terry B, on ipernity

And another (my willow shot).  Shot this earlier in the day the first time we passed the willow tree--it seems like the neg is a bit thin and I'm thinking the almost dead meter battery was the reason.  Do Wein cells surge just before they die?

coldspring15 par Terry B, on ipernity
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:32:44 PM by Terry »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
That's a great train blur Terry! How close were you?

re: Wein cells ... I've always found that they slowly fade out, and meter slower and slower until you're shooting wide open in broad daylight and you finally realize the meter's dead :)

Terry

I cheated--cropped out some of the foreground.

Re the Wein cell--maybe the light faded!  Underexposure would be caused by the meter reading too high, right?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Yeah ... the light was changing real fast with the sun ducking in and out of clouds, so I wonder if you metered with the sun nice and bright, locked it in, and by the time you actually shot the picture the sun had disappeared.

Terry

It's happened before!

No doubt.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
But I like the look it gave to the willow tree, almost a little bit of an IR look...

Terry

I kinda sorta like the soft look of it too.  I like the bright pink leaves Peter got way better though--color IR is truly strange stuff.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
But I like the look it gave to the willow tree, almost a little bit of an IR look...

I like Terry's willow, too. It does have a sorta IR look.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
Can you still get Kodak Gold 200?

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
Thanks, gents.

Love that train shot, too, Terry.

And what I really love the most is how diverse all of these photos are! It's so interesting that five people saw the same things but saw them in such different ways.
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur

I've had no problems finding Gold 200 on Amazon. They'll often have the 24 exp. rolls on sale: http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Gold-200-Film-Pack/dp/B00004SP9T  (for one example - there are several listings.)
Leonore

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat

I've had no problems finding Gold 200 on Amazon. They'll often have the 24 exp. rolls on sale: http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Gold-200-Film-Pack/dp/B00004SP9T  (for one example - there are several listings.)

Cool, thanks!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
I've posted all of my photos I deemed worth posting in a separate gallery page, which you can find here: http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/gallery/filmwasters-hey-im-walkin-here-photo-walk-may-2014/

What gallery plugin do you use on wordpress?

And while I'm asking questions, what did you say the differences were between your Canon L1 and the Canon P's?

I'm just using one of the gallery options offered by default, not a plug-in. I'm not really too sure if that's linked to the style template I use or if it's just a generic option.

As far as the differences between the L1 and the P, I'll steal from my own blog post:

The L1 is a V-series Canon RF body derivative, placing it one generation before the P. There are a few differences in detail, but the bodies are dimensionally similar and the controls are laid out essentially the same way on both. Instead of the P’s fixed viewfinder with multiple framelines, the L1 has an adjustable viewfinder with settings for 35 and 50mm lenses as well as a magnified setting designed for precise focusing. Where the P has a single shutter speed dial, the L1 has the older arrangement of two dials, one for high speeds on top and one for low speeds on the front. The shutter speed dial on the L1 also rotates, whereas the one on the P does not. The frame counter on the L1 counts down and requires manual resetting, while the P’s resets itself when the back is opened and counts up. The P has steel shutter curtains while the L1′s are cloth. That’s about it for the differences – they are fundamentally very similar cameras.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
I'm just using one of the gallery options offered by default, not a plug-in. I'm not really too sure if that's linked to the style template I use or if it's just a generic option.

It's not my default gallery, but I just realized that I'm self-hosted and you're on Wordpress.com, so maybe they have a different default gallery. Can you try to find the exact name of the gallery, and I'll search for what the wp.com default is? I like it a whole lot better than my own default gallery and the gallery that I installed.

As far as the differences between the L1 and the P, I'll steal from my own blog post:

The L1 is a V-series Canon RF body derivative, placing it one generation before the P. There are a few differences in detail, but the bodies are dimensionally similar and the controls are laid out essentially the same way on both. Instead of the P’s fixed viewfinder with multiple framelines, the L1 has an adjustable viewfinder with settings for 35 and 50mm lenses as well as a magnified setting designed for precise focusing. Where the P has a single shutter speed dial, the L1 has the older arrangement of two dials, one for high speeds on top and one for low speeds on the front. The shutter speed dial on the L1 also rotates, whereas the one on the P does not. The frame counter on the L1 counts down and requires manual resetting, while the P’s resets itself when the back is opened and counts up. The P has steel shutter curtains while the L1′s are cloth. That’s about it for the differences – they are fundamentally very similar cameras.

I'm sorta kinda in the market for another rangefinder, and I loved the 5 seconds I spent with your L1 :) But it seems P's are more common, at least on the 'bay, and there are some L1 features I like (adjustable for 35 & 50, and the zoom preview), but also some P features I like (exposure countup, one shutter speed dial, steel shutter curtains), so I'm not sure. The zoom focus preview is pretty amazing though...

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur

It's not my default gallery, but I just realized that I'm self-hosted and you're on Wordpress.com, so maybe they have a different default gallery. Can you try to find the exact name of the gallery, and I'll search for what the wp.com default is? I like it a whole lot better than my own default gallery and the gallery that I installed.

I'm sorta kinda in the market for another rangefinder, and I loved the 5 seconds I spent with your L1 :) But it seems P's are more common, at least on the 'bay, and there are some L1 features I like (adjustable for 35 & 50, and the zoom preview), but also some P features I like (exposure countup, one shutter speed dial, steel shutter curtains), so I'm not sure. The zoom focus preview is pretty amazing though...

I just looked at my Wordpress admin screen. Basically, all I do is go into a page, hit "Add Media" and there's an option to "Create Gallery" on the left side. Once you choose what to include, there are a few options on the right side panel. I haven't the foggiest idea how to determine the name of the actual gallery code.

For the camera, I think I can be a bit more useful. The P is a great choice - it's has everything you need in a modern-feeling package. The 1:1 viewfinder is really underrated for street shooting - since you can keep both eyes open without distortion, you have much better situational awareness. The earlier models have some neat additional features, but they're marginally older and certainly less common and more expensive. I would have been perfectly happy to get another P as a backup LTM body, but the L1 came along and the price was decent, so I grabbed it. It would be hard to choose between them, but the P would probably win out. If you're looking for the features of the older models, check out the VT and VI-T - these have trigger winders, and if you can live with that they tend to be cheaper than the lever wind variants. Another option to consider is a 7 - the body is a little different, but it has all the modernizations of the P plus switchable framelines for 35/50/100/135 and a selenium meter. It's also quite common and tends to be cheaper even than the P.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Oh hell yeah! What a walkoff homer there :D

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
That thing is freaking me out! I anticipate nightmares....

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
NICE!! That is six kinds of awesome.
Leonore

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Is it just me, or does the scarecrow's head seem to shift ever-so-slightly to its left on that last (middle) frame?

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
Is it just me, or does the scarecrow's head seem to shift ever-so-slightly to its left on that last (middle) frame?

No doubt.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Well done NYers! Wish I could have been there. Maybe next time :)
L.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat

Terry

It's the Putnam County earthquake of 2014!!!

No doubt.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat

Edit:  Ooh, that was giving me a headache.  Reminded me of the Simpsons episode with the Japanese detergent commercials that caused seizures.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:31:04 PM by hookstrapped »

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
It's the Putnam County earthquake of 2014!!!

No doubt.

Dude, I was going to post the same thing. You're totally in my head. No doubt.
Leonore

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Hey, lookie what I found! I sent my two SRT's in to get repaired, and when I got them back I popped them open, and the 101 had a partially-exposed roll of TMax100 in it! So I quickly closed it up and shot the rest of the roll and developed it in Rodinal 1:100 because I had no idea what was on it. Here's what came out!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:42:43 AM by Indofunk »

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
Nice!! What a great surprise.

No doubt.
Leonore