Author Topic: Malta  (Read 1121 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Malta
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
We've just booked to visit Malta in late September.  All the travel and accommodation is booked.  I've been to Malta once before, in the late 80s/early 90s but, although I did a couple of trips, it was mostly limited to the hotel.  This time will be very different as I intend to shoot a series of panoramic (Hasselblad XPan) photos which, depending on how they come out, I might consider submitting to the RPS to see if I can gain a distinction.

Assuming some of the FWs might have visited (or may even live there) what I'd like to know is:

1. what are the "obvious" must see places to photograph?
2. what are the more obscure must see places to photograph?
3. are there any places to buy film or is it best to take supplies from the UK? (I will be using Portra 160 and 400)

Any other useful tips / advice welcome.

Many thanks. Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: Malta
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
The whole island is photogenic.  Take loads of Portra, loads of Pan F a couple of Holgas and you can't lose.   It's a small island so just drive around and enjoy the views.  Go to Gozo and Comino if you get the chance.  The Maltese are as friendly a bunch as you'll ever meet - fiercely independent, tough as old boots and immensely proud of their heritage, all of which makes for some great portraiture.   I loved the place.  And the buses are very photogenic.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:58 PM »
yes go to the small island of gozo
and head for the azure window --->
https://www.google.ie/search?q=azure+window&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MrC5U-SXL7Op7AaPwYHYDA&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1680&bih=913

we were there a few years ago and I have to say
the capital Valetta is kind of special along with "Marsaxlokk"
which is a really nice fishing village with a shore front market.

best of luck and enjoy!

oh yea and the old colorful busses, you have to hop on and get a spin !!

A

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:00:07 AM »
My wife and I went to Malta about a decade ago - we loved it. I am big archaeology / history buff (especially prehistoric and gory religious history) And Malta has a lot of that. I believe they have some of the oldest free standing human constructed stone structures - older than Stonehenge. There are a lot of really interesting ancient structures - the infamous cart ruts which are near some caves that were inhabited by early man. The main old city is essentially a fortress built largely during the crusades. It has a history of being conquered by multiple people so the architecture is utterly fascinating. Loads of movies were shot there - Troy had been the most recent one when were there. In fact, we went by the bar Oliver reed died in. Oh I think the Robert Altman live action Popeye was there and the village was left standing and is now used as some kind of family resort.

Malta was Christianized early, the apostle Paul allegedly landed there, so there are a lot of relics from the whole of Christian history - catecombs, cathedrals, and the chair pope John Paul sat on. There is a nearly abandoned natural history museum that satisfied my love of unpleasant taxidermy. You'll likely see loads of traffic accidents there (the bus we were in was involved in two on the first day we were there) so there's that. It was becoming a place where Super yachts docked so if you're into boats you may like to see those. There is an aviation museum, or maybe it's a military museum, regardless it has some artifacts from WWII including what's left of those famous airplanes (they have names but I've forgotten them). If I can think of anything more I'll post.

I'll see if I can track down some of my photos from then - a good excuse to get them scanned!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:06:06 AM by Hungry Mike »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:53:30 AM »
Thanks Mike.

I've been checking the Maltese official tourism site and a load of other interesting links that Google threw up.  When my ex and I were there 25-ish years ago, we went on a boat trip around the whole of the main island. Bit of a whistle-stop ride but we saw the Popeye village which had only been "abandoned" recently at that point.

We visited Rabat / Mdina - again briefly on a "tour" - but this time we intend to spend some serious time getting lost and treat the path least trodden.

I'm also fascinated with the history of religion and pre-history.  I think the cart tracks you mentioned are referred to as "Clapham Junction" as they resemble the train track patterns at the London railway junction of the same name - but no-one seems to have any idea how old the ones in Malta are - or how they were created.

It'd be great to see some of your photos, as and when available. I'm not sure if I'll manage it but I'm going to try to take a combination of the typical Maltese tourist scenes and also some of the sights that most miss / don't even know are there.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:39:52 AM »
You might want to check out this thread over on FADU Paul. I just stumbled on it. Follow Roger's link to his ariticle - it has a lot of info.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1982
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »
You might want to check out this thread over on FADU Paul. I just stumbled on it. Follow Roger's link to his ariticle - it has a lot of info.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1982

Brilliant.  Thanks Peter.  8)