Author Topic: Impossible's Cyanograph SX-70  (Read 2166 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Impossible's Cyanograph SX-70
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:31:48 PM »
I just ordered a pack of this limited film from the Impossible Project.  I thought I may be able to get some interesting results.  In case anyone here is interested it is limited so you may want to grab some quickly.  This is what they said about it:

Remembering Derek Jarman: Impossible's Cyanograph SX-70 -

Twenty years ago today, on 19th February, 1994, England's most provocative artist, film director, diarist and gardener, Derek Jarman, died. He was aged 52. Just a year before, he released his last film. Titled Blue, it consisted of 79 minutes of a single image of saturated blue, over which Jarman and some of his favourite actors, among them Tilda Swinton, talked about Jarman's life and artistic vision.

Inspired by his relentlessly uncompromising vision and this extraordinary film, Impossible has decided to commemorate Jarman's life with the release of a very limited quantity of a monochromatic, low-contrast all-blue film we refer to as Cyanograph SX-70.

This film is produced only in SX-70 format, in a traditional white frame. As it was never intended for commercial distribution, the packaging is simple and minimal: all-black, it bears the Impossible logo and a bar-code but no other designation or description. Once the current stock is sold, this film will not be produced again.

It must be stressed that this is an experimental product and its performance and stability might not be as reliable as current Impossible colour or B&W films.

The film is available ONLY online at a low price of USD 18 per pack, or USD 34 for two packs, plus shipping.

this is a link for it:  https://shop.the-impossible-project.com/shop/film/sx70/fi_sx70_1_eisenblau_mum

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: Impossible's Cyanograph SX-70
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:21:55 PM »
I am very skeptical about IP´s products. They launch an experimental product (like the cyanotic film) that lacks contrast, and they proudly will display it as a state of the art product, being the low contrast its hype.. Yes, I am not a fan of IP. And of course if the price is lowered (but still hiiiiiigh) you bet there is something wrong about it. Having said that (and sorry for all the rambling), if you are happy and satisfied with the product that´s all that it matters  ;D

Old Polaroid sx70 blue film example,

Untitled by calbisu, on Flickr

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:44:52 PM »
Ive got some expired PX-Cool that looks almost like that though the whites tend to go deep yellow now.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
I agree with Calbisu on the quality of IP's product it has a long way to go to meet the quality of Fuji instant film.  I look at it as a fun challenge to get good results from it.  Usually I buy their film to test a camera before I sell it on Ebay.  I can make a quick $100 selling SX-70's that I pick up for a few dollars at a garage sale once I demonstrate that it works.  That's money for film and cameras that I really want.  IP even buys the broken ones on Ebay to refurbish them for resale, I sold them one last year and still made a few bucks on it.  I also have fun shooting with the camera, there's something about the sound of the motor, watching the film shooting out of the front of the camera and seeing a picture appear.  Maybe its just nostalgic for me.  I'm not even sure I have a camera for the film right now but I'm confident I will come across one soon enough. 

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »
I agree with Calbisu on the quality of IP's product it has a long way to go to meet the quality of Fuji instant film.  I look at it as a fun challenge to get good results from it.  Usually I buy their film to test a camera before I sell it on Ebay.  I can make a quick $100 selling SX-70's that I pick up for a few dollars at a garage sale once I demonstrate that it works.  That's money for film and cameras that I really want.  IP even buys the broken ones on Ebay to refurbish them for resale, I sold them one last year and still made a few bucks on it.  I also have fun shooting with the camera, there's something about the sound of the motor, watching the film shooting out of the front of the camera and seeing a picture appear.  Maybe its just nostalgic for me.  I'm not even sure I have a camera for the film right now but I'm confident I will come across one soon enough.

Good luck with it!  :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »
Well, I finally shot my pack of Cyanograph film, below are a few examples:

Rachael Cyanograph by bac1967, on Flickr

Ryley Cyanograph by bac1967, on Flickr

They are offering it in 600 film now, I think I'll skip on that.