Author Topic: Prepared for nuclear war?  (Read 2335 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Prepared for nuclear war?
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:49:27 PM »
I have recently moved house, in the loft I found a very interesting collection of dried and tinned food, all from the late 70's and early 80's, along with many bottles of water and various other stuff, plus 4 100kg barrels of grain.

I'm unsure of exact dates, but speaking to some slightly older relatives, the nuclear war was a real threat around the time a lot of this food is dated, it does look to have been re organised at some point, hence the newer boxes but other than that seemingly left alone for 30+ years

The shooting did not start well however, I realised my two main cameras had ISO 100 film in them, (Kodak Ektar 100 and Adox colour Implosion) I was happy to use the Ektar but I could not find my cable release. So I dug out my spare A-1, the one that drains batteries for fun and my 500n

First up are the A-1 Shots, this roll is Kentmere 400 developed in D76 and scanned with Epson V550
In the first shots I have taken nothing has been moved, I then started moving items to see what was behind before arranging some items for the shots, The lighting was terrible but I am very happy with the way most of these have come out.

Comments and criticism welcome

Prepared--7 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--6 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--8 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--5 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--1 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--2 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--3 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--4 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--9 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--11 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--14 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--21 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--22 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--23 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--24 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Prepared--26 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

There is a few more on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayospics/sets/72157640632625004/

Next up, some colour shots

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Prepared for nuclear war?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Interesting subject Kayos.  The threat of nuclear war was very much a concern right up until the Soviet Union Fell.  I think people still stash stuff away like that for various apocalyptic reasons.  I have found some interesting stuff stashed away deep in cupboards at my parents house like a can of freeze dried eggs from the 1970's, I had to save it but don't dare open it.  Maybe I should take a picture of it, thanks for the inspiration.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:44:56 AM »
I think if i'd had to live off that I'd rather have been nuked!

Until I saw this I'd totally forgotten about Yeoman instant mash (which Google tells me still exists, horrifyingly), and Empire Stores.

Prepared-22 also seems to have a wooden stake. Maybe the stockpilers were worried about vampires as well as nuclear war...?

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »
Glad i could inspire you Brian  :)

The wooden stake is actually the soap! Its either home made or some industrial strength nuclear proof stuff