Author Topic: surf magazine returns to film for a feature  (Read 1335 times)

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
surf magazine returns to film for a feature
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »
as we all know digital photography and the internet has sped up the process of taking and sharing photos. this seems very apparent in the action sports world where the craziest surf/snow/skate etc clip can be seen within minutes of it being edited. Every surf trip people do, clips and images can be seen the day they were shot.

might not be to everyones interest but Stab mag recently shot a feature on film. the digital revolution in surfing was huge, imagine swimming out through 20ft waves to shoot 12 frames whilst swimming with a lump of a camera and to stay in position and avoid taking waves on the head, then to swim back in to change rolls and swim straight back out again.

need to get a copy of the issue, but here is a brief overview http://stabmag.com/a-return-to-old-fashioned-values-jon-frank-and-noa-deane/

if anyone is interested in 1960/70s chrome surf pics check out ron stoner and leroy grannis, truly beautiful. ohh to be in california in those days :-) 

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
Re: surf magazine returns to film for a feature
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:47:47 PM »
Incase anyone else is interested in Surf Photography, a friend sent me this beautiful book a while back. John Witzig is a stunning photographer that basically documented the early years of Australian surf culture. He has been showing in galleries in both New York and Sydney as of late.

sorry for the quick dig pic
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »
I have shot loads of surf on digital but might have to get a Canon film body again to go with my 300f2.8L i wonder if i can get an adapter for my M4 :o

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »
thanks Chris that book is now on my list!

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:27:38 PM »
I've gotten a few surf shots on film, but not living next to an ocean makes it difficult!

Untitled by moominsean, on Flickr

Untitled by moominsean, on Flickr
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
I'm a sucker for old school surf shots so this is right up my street. I got hold of the attached (see below) a few years ago and I still look at it regularly. The other books recommended in this thread have gone straight onto my 'must hunt down' list.

BTW, lovely shots, Sean

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 12:57:58 AM »
i used to buy surf magazines in the early 2000s hoping to learn to ride. in the long run i just look at the photos. still haven't learned to ride a wave. books noted seems a great read.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
Sean great shots!

Ed that book is on my list now too. I cannot recommend the Granis and Stoner books enough, absolutely beautiful images.

The majority of my pics revolve around the beach and surfing, but with a polaroid its hard to get close enough to capture actual surfing normally, so they end up being more surf culture type stuff. here are some:

(doh modified to make images work)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:47:55 PM by Chalky »