Author Topic: Photographic Exhibitions in London  (Read 1173 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Photographic Exhibitions in London
« on: December 02, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
I've attended a few exhibitions recently - all of which were very good:

1. Jaques-Henri Lartigue - BIBI (Photographer's Gallery)
2. Pentti Sammallahti - Prints on exhibition / for sale in basement of Photographer's Gallery
3. Tony Ray-Jones and Martin Parr - Only in England (Science Museum)
4. Wildlife Photographer of the Year - Natural History Museum

1. and 2. are free. 3. cost £8 for adults and 4 cost £12 per adult. Beware, lots of d***tal stuff on display at 4. (but not 100%).  The remainder are all film.

Of them all, the Tony Ray-Jones and Martin Parr one surprised me the most as I've never really "got" Martin Parr's stuff before. The "Non-Conformists" work is an absolute joy. So much like the NW of England that I know and love.

Just thought I'd mention these in case anyone might have a bit of spare time on their hands in the run up to the annual madness.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Photographic Exhibitions in London
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
Thanks for these Paul. It might be nice to organise some kind of meet up to view a couple ... anyone up for that one weekend? Might be better to wait until after the new year to avoid the xmas crowds.

L.
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
Thanks for these Paul. It might be nice to organise some kind of meet up to view a couple ... anyone up for that one weekend? Might be better to wait until after the new year to avoid the xmas crowds.

L.

Cheers Leon, you're welcome.

I'm up for a meet with fellow FW'ers whenever. The Tony Ray-Jones / Martin Parr exhibition is on until 16 March 2014, Lartigue and Sammallahti are on until 05 January and the Wildlife PoTY is on until 23 March. 

Then there's the "Take a View" at the National Theatre / South Bank from this weekend until 8th February.  (One of our throng has a prize-winning entry on display....)

For something a bit different, there's "Astronomy Photographer of the Year" at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich until 23rd February.

Plenty to have a go at  :)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:30:02 PM »
Cheers Paul, was indeed looking for a good excuse for a quick trip to London one day and that Parr/Ray-Jones exhibition does the job, I realy like their work. Of course it'd be good to be also an excuse to catch up with FWers

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 05:13:33 PM »
Hey Paul, I did exactly these exhibitions 2 weeks ago, there is also Daido Moriyamas silk screens at Hamiltons, but when I went I didn't realise they were closed on Mondays.
I really liked Pentti Sammallahti - wish it was a bigger exhibition.

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 05:09:58 PM »
Going to see 'our own' Mr Mitchell's work at LSPOTY tomorrow

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
It's not film based I'm afraid Dave  :( I had three images shortlisted x2 on film x1 digital... they went for the digital I'm sad to say. In fact there's only one image in the whole exhibition that originated on film... and I was with the author when he made it! Overall it is an excellent exhibition especially as they've gone back to their roots a bit, due in no small part to Tim  ;)
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Jon Butler

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
It's not film based I'm afraid Dave  :( I had three images shortlisted x2 on film x1 digital... they went for the digital I'm sad to say. In fact there's only one image in the whole exhibition that originated on film... and I was with the author when he made it! Overall it is an excellent exhibition especially as they've gone back to their roots a bit, due in no small part to Tim  ;)

That's the way in most exhihibitions are theses days but not to worry, I still keep entering silver gelatine prints as well as electric ones.
J.
JON BUTLER - CREATIVE IMAGERY

I Prefer it in the Dark.   http://real-silver-prints.com/

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
Paul's image was beautiful, in my faves second only to Nigel Morton's image - who some of you know.

Some amazing images, some a bit hmmm, and some what the....

I've been to all of the last 5 years, this is one of the best - that D800E looks good....

They still insist on printing some of the digital images WAY beyond comfortable, still think the National Theatre is a bit of an odd venue.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it Dave. I'll have to be honest and say that I've not actually seen it yet! I spent 3 hours there last Monday evening but spent all my time catching up with friends and chatting with my son who paid a flying visit from university. A good excuse to pay another visit though!
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.