Author Topic: Unexpected shots  (Read 1108 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Unexpected shots
« on: November 28, 2013, 04:27:52 AM »
This might be a sparse thread since mostly we plan and know what we are shooting when we push the button, but in this case I didn't until I got the print back.

This was probably in '89 or '90. A group of us youngsters (college friends) had gone camping at Ozette Lake in W. Washington. I think I had along a disposable p/s, but I honestly don't remember the camera. Anyway, we were sitting on the beach on the ocean side of the narrow piece of land that separates the lake from the Pacific. I thought I was just taking a quick snap of a nice sunset, but when I got the prints back BAM!! Partial Eclipse!! How's that for an unexpected treat?  :D

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
Re: Unexpected shots
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 12:25:55 PM »
Interesting shot, James. I'm inclined to believe that the eclipse originated from something from our world,
an airplane maybe, or a weather balloon, but there's nothing to be seen in front of the sun...
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

mikec

• Photography and Vintage Film Cameras
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
The answer is here.

If I've read the table correctly, there was a partial eclipse visible from the beach near the lake on July 21, 1990 which ended at 20:04 hours.

Perhaps we can get Becky to check the math.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:34:26 PM by mikec »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »
Thanks Mike. I tried to figure out the NASA site, but couldn't. I am astronomically challenged. I also thought Beck might see it and chime in, but it looks like you found it.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:33:58 PM »
The answer is here.

If I've read the table correctly, there was a partial eclipse visible from the beach near the lake on July 21, 1990 which ended at 20:04 hours.

Perhaps we can get Becky to check the math.

Thanks for the correction, Mike. It was a natural phenomenon after all.   :)

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

mikec

• Photography and Vintage Film Cameras
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »
I'm no astronomy whiz either.  There was only one other possibility I could see in that time frame, and it took place at mid-day.

It's really a very interesting example for photo forensics analysis.  I've gotten a little taste of that recently in a journalism course I am taking.  The big photo agencies like AP, UPI and AFP all employ teams of analysts these days, mostly to avoid getting burned by photoshoppers.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
It definitely looks like an eclipse. A plane would be incredibly small when compared to the size of the sun unless taken with a massive telephoto. Clouds would appear a different color and be backlit, which means clearly visible. Flying saucers are just plain lunacy. Weather balloons are even smaller than planes. Record breaking blimps were not in fashion in those days... and they would probably be silver mylar... so no blimp there.

A huge chunk of rock passing between the earth and the sun... now there's an idea ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
wow mikec, that is a great site! what good sleuthing!!! You have likely dated that shot as well as if it had EXIF haha
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/