Author Topic: Photographic accidents  (Read 1950 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Photographic accidents
« on: November 03, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
We all know about the serendipity of happy photographic accidents... and the crushing weight of bad ones.
But what I wanted to share was the other side of the word accident.

Photography can be a pretty dangerous hobby. We're out and about in the world, we carry sometimes heavy equipment, we use things that are mechanical in nature. So, we're prone to get an accident at one point or another. Lets just say we can get into situations you just couldn't think about if you're into knitting or doing jigsaw puzzles.

I had a small accident this morning. Not that I hurt myself in any way... though I did feel quite silly.
I went in the darkroom this morning to check something out. I have a sliding door to save space and keep the place light tight. When I closed the door, something fell behind it and it prevented me from opening it again. I spent a few minutes trying to get the attention of someone on the upper floor to get me out of there without damaging anything.

So good news: the door is now open and working fine.
Bad news: I'm feeling a bit dumb and still wondering why I brag about it  ::)

So, am I the only one who gets into situations like that?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Photographic accidents
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:08:02 PM »
Last year our camera club had a trip up to Bradford and i took my Zorki4 for a bit of fun but it was loaded with FP4 but it was very dull so rewound it and loaded some HP5, 3 weeks go past and i get my first Leica M4-2 so i set off into town for some street photography its bright so load a roll of FP4, when i get home i develope it and the first 1/4 of the roll is one constant negative  :o (it was the roll from Bradford/ media museum)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:59:18 AM »
Oh my gosh, Francois!  I hope that was a freak accident that can never repeat itself!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:55:39 AM »
Where do I start with this one?

I missed the focus.
I under-exposed.
I under-developed.
I dropped the wet negative on the carpet and it fell behind a file cabinet where I think the world supply of dust must be hiding.
I used x-ray film which is notoriously easy to scratch.

It is starting to grow on me though.

Boris by James Harr Photo, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »
Oh my gosh, Francois!  I hope that was a freak accident that can never repeat itself!
Sadly, my darkroom being in my dad's garage, anything can happen! (he's really messy)

But at least I thought it was a rather funny incident :)
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:38:29 AM »
On a 1/2 sec exposure, my shutter stuck. That's the first time that has happened. Maybe time for a CLA on the '67 Nikkormat.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:50:11 AM »
If I had an accident It would probably be the countless frames wasted when carrying around my Bronica. I have been reminded about this since using it more.

I carry my SQ-A with a neck strap slung over one shoulder. Not bandelier style. The shutter release on the SQ-A is on the front of the camera just below the lens on the right (looking through the lens). It just so happens that the shutter release likes to get triggered by my belt as the camera hangs just in that area.

I make it a habit now to use the lock mechanism when carrying.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 05:38:47 AM »
I've never had an accident in terms of injuring or almost injuring myself while shooting (well, I've fallen over a couple of times while precariously balancing, but nothing worth noting.) In terms of accidents and mistakes that I've made with the pictures...well, more than I can count.

But my Pentax did have an accident this past summer. I had her on a cheap tripod that was sitting on a stone wall one night as I was trying to get a long night exposure. Instead, the tripod tipped over and she tumbled off the wall and onto concrete. Landed on the corner of the top plate, which promptly cracked.

Luckily, it wasn't a very high wall and it was a mini-tripod. Also luckily, the K1000 is a friggin' tank and she kept on taking pictures like nothing ever happened.

Here's her war wound (sorry, it's d******, taken for documentary purposes only.)
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
I once dropped a 28mm/2.8 Zuiko lens whilst changing lenses. Unfortunately, it wasn't dropped onto grass, it was dropped off an arrete called "Striding Edge" whilst ascending a mountain called "Hellvelyn" in the English Lake District. It's a VERY long way down
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
^ don't tell mcduff!  :P

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Photographic accidents
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Did I hear my name?? ;-p back at ya tintin! I guess my 28 zuiko should be happy when it fell only five feet into nice soft concrete and dinged its front. While it is still serviceable (minus its ability to use filters) a decade later a crappy plastic DSLR lens had the same thing happen to it and I blew into a million pieces.

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

x100art

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »
Hi guys my first post here.

I've been lurking around and decided to post one of my accidents in photography.

While I was walking around Balboa Park the strap holding my Olympus Om2n came off and I dropped my camera, which is getting   repaired right now and I can't wait to get it back. :(

Here's a last shot the  camera took after I dropped it. It seemed the camera still worked the only thing that was not functioning was the light meter.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:37:49 AM by x100art »
Take me back to the 80's please !!! I don't  like this time ..

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
I notice something sort of strange... am I the only one who's accidents usually involve me getting hurt and bleeding?
Francois

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 01:12:51 AM »
Not me bleeding Francois but I was the cause of somebody else's cut knee.
I was in Paris doing the tourist thing trying to get a picture of a DeGaulle statue near the Grande palais.I turned and took a step back at the same time collided with a besuited French gent cutting the knee out of his trousers.He looked at me and spoke at me the way only parisians can .