Author Topic: Jammed Rollei B35  (Read 12198 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Jammed Rollei B35
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »
I've got a Rollei B35, and I was going to give it another outing this week when I discovered I can't wind it on, and the shutter doesn't fire. I'm guessing that it won't wind on until the shutter has fired, but as it won't fire, then nothing happens.
The lens is fully extended and locked, but nothing else happens.

Any ideas what might be the problem, or where I could perhaps get it fixed in the UK? Or even if it's worth getting it fixed?

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Jammed Rollei B35
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
Did you try flipping the rewind release and then advancing the film? I haven't had that problem with my Rollei, but with some other cameras when I get to the last frame and the shutter half-cocks things get iffy until the shutter can be fully cocked or fully released.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
I have tried that, but it's still stuck.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 02:57:26 PM »
Is it the type of camera that absolutely needs a film to drive the sprocket wheel in order to cock the shutter?

Here's the instruction book
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rollei/rollei_b35_c35/rollei_b35_c35.htm
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
I'm pretty certain I have wound and fired the camera with no film in, to test the shutter at least.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »
Crap. Having found a few possible leads I took the top off to have a look at the mechanism, and for a moment I thought I might have sorted it out, but then something went 'sproing' and I perhaps didn't put it back right, so no it's even more jammed and the lens won't go back.
I may have another go at it if I can find clear enough pictures of how it's supposed to go together, but for now it's a dead camera.

It does have a sticker inside saying it was last serviced at Clock Tower Cameras in Brighton, so I may see if they can still repair it, but I suspect I could pick up another one cheaper than that.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:59:08 PM »
Never having owned a B35, I'm not sure how much internal similarity there is with the original Rollei 35. In the event that they are similar, here's a couple of links to info I found useful when I was trying to track down why my 35 was ripping the film in half every time I tried to rewind it.

The original Rollei parts book, with exploded views: Rollei 35 Service Manual

And a thread (with photo) that discusses the innards in some detail: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/13061/8326.html?1169524661

If you can post some photos of the inner workings and discuss exactly what's happening, we might be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
I had got hold of the service manual, but the innards of the film advance mechanism seem completely different on the B35
I can see that even more clearly from the pictures in that second link.

Thanks anyway!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
If all else fails and you need someone to put the thing back in working order, let me know. I know a chap who worked exclusively on all manner of Rolleis for 30+ years before he retired. He's based in the UK, has a shed-load of spare parts for all Rollei cameras and lives 20 or so miles from where I live.

PM me if of interest / help.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Was the lens fully extended and locked ? love my little 35B