Author Topic: Camera Chain  (Read 24595 times)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Camera Chain
« on: October 29, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »

1   Verian
2   Urban Hafner
3   ManuelL
4   calbisu
5   irv_b
6   Diane Peterson
7   jharr
8   Beck
9   Limr
10   02Pilot
11   Adam Doe
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:24:17 AM by Verian »
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Camera Chain
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 03:55:23 PM »
I haven't done it before, but am intrigued by the idea. Count me in.

~J
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:03:29 PM »
Yeah I tried this once maybe six years ago. Same thing happened, the camera disappeared at some point.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
yeah, I did it over at TC.com. Same thing the camera went missing. I was happy to participate, it introduced me to the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim. I had been wanting to try it. Ended up buying a few after that.
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
I guess getting people to sign up until you have the right number according to the number of exposures on the roll would be the way to go (making sure you are the last one on the list). Then put them in some sort of order so it isn't zig-zagging back and forth across the ocean. Then does everyone just pay the shipping to the next person on the list? In that case, you might just ask for volunteers who are willing to ship internationally so as not to exclude anyone based on funding and also to lower the chances of the camera getting 'stuck'. I think Ted Forbes did something like this with Holgas.

~J
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
I've recently participated in something similar: http://www.35mmc.com/18/09/2013/the-traveling-yashica/ In this case everyone is shooting an entire roll. But it's the same concept. We're only 5 people in and the camera hasn't yet disappeared ;)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »
We did it at toycamera.com years ago. I think the camera made it back to the start again iirc.
L.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Camera Chain
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »

I've recently participated in something similar: http://www.35mmc.com/18/09/2013/the-traveling-yashica/ In this case everyone is shooting an entire roll. But it's the same concept. We're only 5 people in and the camera hasn't yet disappeared ;)
Wow I managed to miss this ever seeing 35mmc. It looks great.

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »
I have never done this before and would find it fun to. Might this be for FW members only or a generated list here etc.? Count me in. We should be sworn to return it or find Ed's Beatle boot at your bottom. I'm liking that idea already.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:23:40 PM by beck »
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »
Some have had luck doing this, and others not so much.
I started one a few years back with a panocam...it went missing.  It's still MIA.

Randy at Holgamods started one a few years ago too.  His camera is also MIA.

Randy knows who has the Holga, but they won't return it.
Same for me. I know who has the panocamera, but they won't send it on either.

I'm not a big fan of this type thing..

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »
I'd be interested in participating in something like this as well. I would concur with the suggestion that the list be rationalized in such a way as to minimize transit costs. An alternative, I suppose, would be to have each participant take several photos, meaning that with fewer participants there might be the possibility of a North American group, a European group, and so on.

For cost reasons, as well as the possibility of it going missing, a disposable/single-use camera makes the most sense to me.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »
Would love to participate!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:05 PM »
mm.. makes me think about that collab... 12. November 2007: Disposable.

I'm currently waiting my turn on the 35mmc version of this :)
and three to five other projects like this that never happened :(
/jonas

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 04:09:41 AM »
*raises hand* I'd definitely be interested. I was also going to suggest a European group and an American group, simply to keep costs down. 02Pilot beat me to it, though. He's sneaky that way.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 07:32:38 AM »
I did this twice. Once at TC they sent a cheapo panoramic cam around, but I recall most of the photos turned out really washed out. Then on flickr we sent a 110 camera around the world - from the east coast of the U.S. to the west, then to south America, Asia, and Europe. It took two years but it finally made the complete journey. Unfortunately something happened to the second roll (a light leak maybe) so even with the camera not getting lost there's always a possibility a lot of time may accidentally get wasted.

I do know that with the 110 camera what helped keep the ball rolling was having a list of everybody who was getting the camera and checking off each name in the thread online so everybody knew who was next and how many stops were left.

I think a lot of the problem with the camera getting held up is due to people not wanting to waste their shot (or with the 110 camera everybody was allotted three shots) - so they put it off or lose interest. If I were to do another such project I would probably just mail a box camera, and each person would run one roll (8 exp.) through it. No risk of accidentally wasting a shot, or accidentally shooting more than you're supposed to, or accidentally opening the camera and ruining photos, etc. Hopefully that would motivate people to get out take pictures and send the camera off right away.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 09:05:11 AM »
Would love to try it again.

Been in on one once before over on Apug. I think the camera made it back to the sender, but we never got to see the results. :(

Instructions on using the camera (unless obvious) would be good. Also if the film should be advanced before using, or before sending etc. And if there are some other things we need to take into account (slow shutter etc).

And since it most likely will be passing through a number of customs inspections, a low value camera (at least declared as such) would be a good idea.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »
Personally I don't quite see the point of everyone just shooting one (or a few) shots. I'd be more interested in shooting a whole roll.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:17:51 PM by Urban Hafner »

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »
Personally I don't quite see the point of everyone just shooting or (or a few) shots. I'd be more interested in shooting a whole roll.

I agree.

Otherwise, you'd probably all be treated to a lovely accidental exposure of the car door or inside of my purse.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:19:12 PM by limr »
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 02:37:13 PM »
I'm up for this. I'm UK based, but happy to post it worldwide if I'm the last UK Waster on the list.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Camera Chain
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »
Until somebody mentioned it a whole roll of film hadn't occurred to me, but it makes good sense.

Seems there's a bit of interest so I'll formulate a plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
verianthomas.com

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
Mmmhh, if you shoot with the lens cap on are you entitled to a new shot?  :'(

I will be happy to participate if the initiative goes ahead!!

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
I would be interested too.  :)
A disposable camera would be fine in my opinion. The camera should probably have some more shots than people in the chain.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »
Not to be wet blanket, but I think there are two different groups on this thread with different objectives.
One set seem to like the idea of sending a single-use camera around for each person to take one photo. The point of this sort of 'chain' seems to be to get a collection of "if I could only take one photo" photos from different people.
The other set seem to like the idea of sending around a unique or unusual camera for lots of people to try for an entire roll and then post their best shots. This can't be done with a single use camera (obviously).

I would participate in either or both. It all sounds like fun to me, but I would want to be clear about the expectations of the group I was participating in.

~J
Flickr
Blogger

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 10:04:15 PM »
I'd be happy to send out a fujipet for a chain! Not. But something cheap and simple like a brownie hawkeye would be cool. Some $5 toy camera... Disposable cameras are kinda boring.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »
If a camera is needed, I can dig through my camera box and produce a few interesting cameras. I have a few box cameras and a couple of folders that might be suited to the one roll per person route.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I didn’t have an ulterior motive when I started this thread, but it occurred to me that this would make a nice piece for the first issue of the magazine we are working on. So I’m going to lay out a sort of plan below which hopefully we can get a few people interested in (the plan is open to amendment in case I miss anything or make a mistake), so here we go:

-   1 Camera. 1 roll of film each. 

-   Volunteers will be needed for international shipping when we figure out where the camera is going, I will be one of those, and don’t  mind if the camera comes back to me to forward on internationally again if needs be.

-   Each person receives the camera, takes a roll of film, sends the camera on to the next person. (again, logistics will be figured out).

-   If possible, take one picture on the roll on the theme of ‘People’ to save for the magazine article on this project. There is no requirement whatsoever to do this, it is only if you want to, if you want to take part and not do this bit then that’s cool.

-   We should probably have some kind of limit on how long the camera should be in any one persons possession, 10 days? Or is that too short (or long!)

-   Next is which camera? I have a few that could be used or does anybody have/want to try a specific camera for this?

I’ve missed something, I know it.

I’ll start a list of people who have confirmed in the OP.

Anybody up for it?

verianthomas.com

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
Sounds good to me. Check out this post for another take on the rules: http://www.35mmc.com/18/09/2013/the-traveling-yashica/ It ended up being just 1 week per person which I find a bit too short.

I don't really care which camera we use. Maybe 35mm might be better as it's cheaper to have it developed, but I'd do 120, too.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
Sign me up. 120 or 35mm doesn't matter to me. 120 might go faster simply because there are fewer shots.
Leonore

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »
I'm interested as well.  Any format is fine.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »
I am happy to join.
For me a bit more than 1 week would be good as I only really have time to take pictures during the weekend and would need a day or 2 to organize the shipping.
Will be good to get rid of some bubble wrap (just bought 20 square meters last week)  ;)

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
Please add me in..any format is fine!

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »
I'll chuck my hat into the ring if there is still room and I don't mind sending it internationallly if reqiured!

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »
There are seven of us so far, which is plenty to get going. Just in case let's put a cap of ten on this. So the next three people who would like to take part OR however many there are, up to ten, by the end of Friday 7th November.
verianthomas.com

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
Wait I got lost in translation somewhere. I thought the camera chain was with one single camera from a starting point and then making its journey? Like in one person receives the camera, snaps one frame and sends it off the to the next participant? If that is the case, you can add me to the litht.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »
I'm in.
Flickr
Blogger

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 04:14:57 PM »
OT: James I tried to reply to your message but we are limited 2 messages per hour? Ugh. I'll get back to you later.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
Wait I got lost in translation somewhere. I thought the camera chain was with one single camera from a starting point and then making its journey? Like in one person receives the camera, snaps one frame and sends it off the to the next participant? If that is the case, you can add me to the litht.

Hi Beck, it was up for discussion and the general consensus seemed to be one camera, but one roll of film each. So we went for that in the end.
verianthomas.com

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
Ok. Sometimes it "takes a while" if you catch my drift. I'm in Pennsylvania btw. Not sure how the travel will be or order, etc. So say I got the camera next, I am to shoot a roll of film with it whether it be a 120 or 35mm camera....develop that film, and send the camera off to the next destination? I swear it takes a while, no lie.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
Sort of, you shoot the roll, then send the camera and then develop it ;)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
I've put you in the list of participants Beck, just to ensure a space if you want it.
verianthomas.com

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
Ok thanks. In the event the camera is medium format, as I don't develop my own, nor do I have a place to develop, does that mean my roll sits in the lake of fire? Haha. Seriously, my photo lab shut down a few years ago. I am doomed from the start I swear.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »
Ok thanks. In the event the camera is medium format, as I don't develop my own, nor do I have a place to develop, does that mean my roll sits in the lake of fire? Haha. Seriously, my photo lab shut down a few years ago. I am doomed from the start I swear.

Then we will do 35mm :)
verianthomas.com

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
Well shucks. I think most will want to shoot 120 and I would feel rotten because of my obstacle. I think I know plenty of folk who would adopt my little roll and develop it for me. Appreciate your saying so, really.  :)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
beck - I can develop the 120 roll or get it developed for you if you want. I'm in NY so we're likely to be near each other on the list and you could just send the film along with the camera, or we can arrange that separately if I'm not right after you on the list and you can't find anyone you know to help out.
Leonore

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Cookies for everyone! That would be swell my dear and I think it could be arranged providing the order. Thank you so much really!

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 08:46:05 PM »
Cool.

1 spot remains!
verianthomas.com

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
I'll be number 10 if that's OK.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Camera Chain
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
Great. That's 10 then.

Next thing is which camera?

verianthomas.com

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »
Great. That's 10 then.

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's reasonable to ship. Heck, it could be interesting to keep it secret; swear everyone to secrecy, send it around, and deal with it - whatever it is - when it arrives.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »
Great. That's 10 then.

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's reasonable to ship. Heck, it could be interesting to keep it secret; swear everyone to secrecy, send it around, and deal with it - whatever it is - when it arrives.

As a plan I rather like that, I am going to go through my cupboard tonight and find something suitable. Everybody will get a PM in a minute so that I can work out the shipping order.
verianthomas.com