Author Topic: The Photopolymer journey continued........  (Read 2583 times)

Lawrie

The Photopolymer journey continued........
« on: September 14, 2013, 07:08:03 AM »
During the last few months I have been refining my process and experimenting with new ink combinations. During this time I also reread a photopolymer  article by Keith Taylor in issue 57 of  the AG journal. In his article he concluded that ... "when you pull the perfect print, the elation is like no other feeling in the world. But when things go wrong, the feeling of despair and the depths you sink to are unimaginable!"  Any photopolymer practitioner will immediately relate to Keith's comment!

All things considered I still love the process despite the multitude of steps involved. The slow and contemplative approach to image making is so rewarding and totally therapeutic.

The attached four prints are part of a body of work which will be exhibited at the annual David Brown Printmaking Exhibition being held at the Sandton Gallery from the 24th September 2013. I hope you enjoy them!

Regards,

Lawrie.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:12:06 AM by Lawrie »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: The Photopolymer journey continued........
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
Fabulous stuff Lawrie, and thanks for the update.

It's a good thing we are not neighbours ... I think I'd be pestering you about this to the point of harassment! 

Hope the show goes well.

L.
L.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
Excellent images - those might be wonderful prints to look at in person..

Photogravures are very appealing to me - I am actively looking for an affordable printing press for maybe two years now...
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
Fantastic set of prints. My only gripe is that you've loaded very small versions and I'd love to see them fill my screen. Have you posted any larger scale ones anywhere else...??
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »
Hey Lawrie,

Really beautiful images, Like Paul, I too would have liked LARGER samples . . .  :)

best of luck with the Exhibit  ;)

Lawrie

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »
Thank you Leon, Andrej K, Late developer and Alan for your encouragement and kind remarks. I am still kicking myself about the size of my scans. Only after matting the prints for framing did I realize that they were so small. I learn something new everyday.....................

Regards,

Lawrie.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
There is so much there there, even in the small images.  Very nice.  Would love to see in person.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
Fantastic work there Lawrie and the very best for the exhibit (not that it looks like you'll need it)! :)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
Lovely images.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

philruss

• 35mm
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 02:51:31 AM »
Wonderful images. Sometimes small is better.
Phil

Lawrie

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »

My photopolymer images measure 15cm x 20cm

There have been, and always will be, passionate debates about print size. My personal view is that the subject matter is often one of  the determining factors and that each image needs careful consideration. in 2001 I was privileged to be part of the Gallery ZA group show at Paris Photo. My wife and I spent several days at the venue and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to view some of the world's most exciting and contemporary photography. The most memorable recollection was seeing the incredibly beautiful 8x10 prints of Ansel Adams and Edward Weston. The images literally glowed and had a life of their own  - veritable "little gems" which certainly did not need enlarging to reveal their exquisite charm.

Indeed, sometimes smaller is better!

Regards,

Lawrie.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:30:09 PM by Lawrie »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »

My photopolymer images measure 15cm x 20cm

There have been, and always will be, passionate debates about print size. My personal view is that the subject matter is often one of  the determining factors and that each image needs careful consideration. in 2001 I was privileged to be part of the Gallery ZA group show at Paris Photo. My wife and I spent several days at the venue and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to view some of the world's most exciting and contemporary photography. The most memorable recollection was seeing the incredibly beautiful 8x10 prints of Ansel Adams and Edward Weston. The images literally glowed and had a life of their own  - veritable "little gems" which certainly did not need enlarging to reveal their exquisite charm.

Indeed, sometimes smaller is better!

Regards,

Lawrie.

Agreed. In real life, not everything needs to be 24" x 18". However, these beautiful photos show up little larger than passport size on my screen - even at 125% screen resolution.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".