Author Topic: Back from my holiday...  (Read 2668 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Back from my holiday...
« on: June 07, 2007, 02:10:23 PM »
Hi all.

So it's my second day back in the world of reality after 10 days in the Dolomites. Ho hum...

Had a fantastic time, but actually found it an extremely difficult place to photograph. It's astoundingly beautiful - but almost too beautiful. You can stand pretty much anywhere, pointing your camera in any direction, and there's a photograph to be had. I found myself just going snap... snap... snap... but not really taking many photographs that felt like they were my photographs. I don't know whether that makes sense or not!

Despite this, I still burned through a dozen or so rolls. I'll post one or two in the coming days/weeks/months to try to illustrate my point. Don't hold your breath, though, as I was already 18 rolls behind in my processing before I went away...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:46:30 PM by Ailsa »

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Re: Back from my holiday...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:39:49 PM »
Welcome back Ailsa!!!!

Look forward to seeing those images!

I do know what you mean about not taking your own shot. For me, that means I didn't connect on a conscious emotional level with the elements in the shot when I snapped the pic. Doesn't matter how beautiful a scene--I just didn't connect with it when the shutter clicked. But there are times that I'm happily surprised with the results. The unconscious does some crazy things!
Wishing you many happy surprises!

Anyways, you deserved to shut it all off and relax for a bit!!!

Welcome back we missed you!  :)

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:08:25 PM »
Amazingly beautiful area and strangley I write this wearing the same fleece that I bought there 7 years ago (quality Italian clothing!). I went there and was up a mountain and saw a woman lying on the ground. A few steps later I was too. Altitude sickness. I acclimatised and I think I got a few snaps but the goulash got very tempting so I ate more than I shot. I'm sure you have some great images that will emerge soon.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 01:30:57 PM »
Ah, the bondage of photography. Being somewhere beautiful and thinking you have to take photos of it, but not actually connecting for whatever reason. Been there a few times myself.

Anyway, I hope you had a great time. Welcome back.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »
18 roll behind in processing,  that would  drive me mad !  I  just have to see what's on a roll after i have taken it,  might take me two years  to print something but the negs are developed ASAP. 

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 04:32:45 PM »
18 roll behind in processing,  that would  drive me mad !  I  just have to see what's on a roll after i have taken it,  might take me two years  to print something but the negs are developed ASAP. 

Thanks Eddie - I felt bad enough about it already!  :-[   ;)

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 04:43:28 PM »

Thanks Eddie - I felt bad enough about it already!  :-[   ;)

Sorry, hope i have not ruined your weekend. Have a good one . 

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 08:07:46 AM »
Welcome back, Ailsa!

If it makes you feel any better I'm way behind in my processing too, plus my darkroom is currently doing a passable impression of a sauna (only in a noticeably non-pine-scented way!).

Summer, eh?! Typical!  ::)

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »
Ailsa, if it's any consolation, I shot 12 rolls during a madcap extended weekend in Woodstock, NY for a Keith Carter workshop and a trip to Manhattan. It would have been a hell of a lot more if it hadn't rained during most of the trip. Oh, and that doesn't even include the 30 some-odd rolls I still have to process from previous shoots. When I get this far behind, I have keep reminding myself that I'm nowhere near as bad as Garry Winogrand was...  :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 08:17:34 PM by outofcontxt »
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 06:46:26 PM »
Ailsa, if it's any consolation, I shot 12 rolls during a madcap extended weekend in Woodstock, NY for a Keith Carter workshop and a trip to Manhattan. It would have been a hell of a lot more if it hadn't rained during most of the trip. Oh, and that doesn't even include the 30 some-odd rolls I still have to process from previous shoots. When I get this far behind, I have keep reminding myself that I'm nowhere near as bad as Garry Winograd was...  :)

To quote my lovely colleague, Tracy, 'Slow and steady wins the day.' Thus, I have spent today slowly and steadily processing six rolls of film. Only 24-odd to go...