Author Topic: Street Portraits In London  (Read 7364 times)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Street Portraits In London
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
The plan was a fairly simple one, which perhaps needed a few tweaks for it to work properly, but it seemed to me to be workable at the time. I was to go to London, specifically to Whitecross Street for their Street Party (subtitled ‘Rise OF The Non-Conformist), and there I would set up my Rolleiflex 3.5E (Planar) on a tripod and offer to take free portraits of anybody who wanted one. This was the first time I had used the Rolleiflex since I bought it, so it carried some risk as I wasn’t 100% sure it was all in good order (though it appeared to be) and had no experience in using it, I jumped in at the deep end I suppose.

With this being a Medium Format camera I wasn’t going to be able to show anybody  an image there and then, I would have to get the film developed and scanned and, having taken the customers e-mail address, send a small copy with a price list.

On the face of it, this worked out quite well, I used three films (Rollei Retro 400S, 12 images per film) and had everything written down and ready to go. Everybody who had their picture taken understood the process and everything was to plan.

About 10 days after the event I sent out 34 e-mails with a small digital version of the image attached. I offered a full size image to one person for free as it didn’t turn out well enough to sell, 3 of the e-mails returned as unknown, leaving 30 that got through to their intended recipient. I received a nice reply form the person I offered the free image to and duly uploaded it for them. One person replied to say they’d have a think about it and see if the other person in the image with them wanted a copy and one person placed an order for a 5x5 print, I sent an invoice for payment.

And so that’s where we are, to date, I have not sold a single one, well, theoretically I’ve sold one but after three weeks no actual payment has been forthcoming. I had been, I thought, rather conservative in my estimate of how many I’d sell, which was 3 or 4, around 10%. This would have covered my costs which were made up of travel to and from the event, 16 hours hanging around (this bit was not really included in costs), cost of film, cost of developing and various other small sundries.

As a plan to break even it failed rather miserably, however it did offer me some things that were invaluable, unquantifiable in monetary terms even, I met and talked at length to a lot of people. Most of which didn’t have their photograph taken but it was an enjoyable experience. I also had over 34 people pose for a photograph and that was great experience for me in using the camera, talking to subjects and generally learning how to put people at their ease when you are pointing a camera at them. I also learned about using the camera and, while the results ranged from average to good, that was the order that they progressed, so I was getting better. Yes, I would have liked to cover my costs as this would have convinced me to do a similar thing again, but, in hindsight, would I have paid the same amount I was out of pocket just for this experience? The answer is YES, in all likelihood  I would. 

There may well be a next time, as I think that with some good printed examples people are much more likely to want to buy their own photograph (ever the optimist). So now I have to teach myself how to make prints, after I’ve bought all the equipment of course!

verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Re: Street Portraits In London
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
Pity. You obviously made it easy for them. Your estimate wasn't too ambitious either. And some nice portraits too, I wouldn't have minded being portrayed with my wife as in pics 1 and 3.

As you probably noticed, a TLR can be a bit difficult to do close ups with, due to you having to place the camera down low, in order to look into the viewfinder, which may result in the camera looking up at the subject. Not always flattering. There are ways of working around this. A paramender helps a bit. Another is standing on a box.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »
You might not have sold any but you have come away with a really nice set of portraits.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »
Pity. You obviously made it easy for them. Your estimate wasn't too ambitious either. And some nice portraits too, I wouldn't have minded being portrayed with my wife as in pics 1 and 3.

As you probably noticed, a TLR can be a bit difficult to do close ups with, due to you having to place the camera down low, in order to look into the viewfinder, which may result in the camera looking up at the subject. Not always flattering. There are ways of working around this. A paramender helps a bit. Another is standing on a box.

Thanks Ezzie. I'm 6' 2" so had the camera quite high on the tripod, but I very much take your point.

You might not have sold any but you have come away with a really nice set of portraits.

Thanks Charles, most kind.
verianthomas.com

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »
I think it's a great idea, and you've done well. I wonder if using a polaroid pack camera might have been a good plan - when ever I take someones portrait with one, they love the look, and they can buy it right there and then.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
I think it's a great idea, and you've done well. I wonder if using a polaroid pack camera might have been a good plan - when ever I take someones portrait with one, they love the look, and they can buy it right there and then.

Thanks. The idea to do it occurred to me after I had some vague thought/memory of beach photographers back in the day, interesting article I just found here:

http://nationalmediamuseumblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/sunny-snaps-and-the-world-of-the-walking-photographer/

I would think that having a result to sell there and then would garner much better sales.
verianthomas.com

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »
Beautiful shots Verian. I assume in these times most people aren't used to paying for images anymore (even I don't buy much photography anymore). And Dave that Polaroid back is a great idea! Too bad that most TLRs don't allow for one. We're lucky Eirik, aren't we? ;) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezzie0304/9703644830/#)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
Beautiful shots Verian. I assume in these times most people aren't used to paying for images anymore (even I don't buy much photography anymore). And Dave that Polaroid back is a great idea! Too bad that most TLRs don't allow for one. We're lucky Eirik, aren't we? ;) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezzie0304/9703644830/#)

Thanks very much  :D I suspect that you are right regarding people paying for photographs, I will remain optimistic though!
verianthomas.com

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
Indeed we are. I got some very nice candid portraits of my kids, and niece this weekend, on Polaroid 664 no less. The camera focuses real close. If Verian is lucky, maybe someone will give up on their build and put it up for sale. I'm keeping mine.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
Come to think of it. My Rolleiflex 2.8E3 has a very ingenious sports finder. Maybe yours has too. There is a loupe underneath the rear sport finder window which captures a portion of the ground glass by way of a mirror on the inner side of the fold down front, allowing you to focus at eye level. That might help in a street oriented portrait situation.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 10:04:14 AM »
Come to think of it. My Rolleiflex 2.8E3 has a very ingenious sports finder. Maybe yours has too. There is a loupe underneath the rear sport finder window which captures a portion of the ground glass by way of a mirror on the inner side of the fold down front, allowing you to focus at eye level. That might help in a street oriented portrait situation.

Pretty sure it does have that, though I've not used it as yet. I like the lower angle for Street Photography, but it may well be more appropriate for Street Portraits.
verianthomas.com

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Very nice idea that didnt go un-rewarded as you mention

you got to use a new to you camera so there was a big learning curve
you got to learn how to deal with people as a portrait photographer
you met and talked to many new people

I bet if you modify your equipment to offer a better product for the "customer"
you might make a few quid  ;)

the instant route as mentioned above is a good one, your subject can see
the result there and then and get a reward for interacting by way of the
instant print "free" while you get the negative to process later and possibly
offer them a larger print from that recovered negative!

and of course there is the novelty factor of the "polaroid" experience!

well done  :)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
Thanks Alan.

I have an SX-70, and a coupe of others, but the only film I can seem to get is from the Impossible Project and it isn't very instant, it takes at least 30 minutes to produce an image, sometimes longer. I suppose I could just give them it to take with them, but the film is so expensive, each shot working out at around £2 a time, so 30 instants(ish) would be £60! I do have a Bronica ETRS that I can get a polaroid back for but have never looked into it or which film to use etc. perhaps that might be cheaper.
verianthomas.com

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »
what about a pack film land camera?

peel off the print and save the neg !!

you can get portrait kits for those cameras too !

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
Well they seem to be £1 a picture, which is a significant reduction, I'll look into it :) thanks.
verianthomas.com

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »
FP100C film is you best bet then. It has a negative that can be retrieved quite easily. FP3000B however has just a thin emulsion on a paper backing. Can be scanned directly, but is very sensitive to light after separation and before drying out properly. Can deteriorate quite considerably.

My biggest issue, one I have yet to solve, is how to store the negatives whilst out and about. They take a while to dry, so stacking them is not an option. I hope to find a box which I can install shelving or runners into, enabling the negs to dry without sticking to eachother.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 10:04:42 AM »
That's a great idea, Verian. I like the different low position and I admire Vivian Maiers photography that shows the same effect in almost every picture. Surely not easy to handle if you aren't used to like me, combined with the mirror-inverted screen image.

At flickr I joined the 100strangers project and found it very rewarding. Not being forced to shoot 36 pics a day, every once in a while I ask somebody in the street if I can take her/his picture.  About 50 % agree, and having a "carte de visite" is a big advantage of course. I was lucky, my first strangers already were a great experiance:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagesfrugales/4935715418/#

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »

Sad to say, my Type-665 was designed to do just that. Depressed I can no longer stop someone, give them the positive as a slink off with a negative in my bento. It is a great feeling though, and I can see the portrating skills coming through here too. Nice work! Skj.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
That's a great idea, Verian. I like the different low position and I admire Vivian Maiers photography that shows the same effect in almost every picture. Surely not easy to handle if you aren't used to like me, combined with the mirror-inverted screen image.

At flickr I joined the 100strangers project and found it very rewarding. Not being forced to shoot 36 pics a day, every once in a while I ask somebody in the street if I can take her/his picture.  About 50 % agree, and having a "carte de visite" is a big advantage of course. I was lucky, my first strangers already were a great experiance:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagesfrugales/4935715418/#

Thanks imagesfrugales. I also like Vivian Maiers images, they have a great sense of being involved I think, for the viewer.

The 100 Strangers project sounds interesting but Flickr is blocked on my computer, I'll have to have a look at it when I'm on my home computer.
verianthomas.com

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »

Sad to say, my Type-665 was designed to do just that. Depressed I can no longer stop someone, give them the positive as a slink off with a negative in my bento. It is a great feeling though, and I can see the portrating skills coming through here too. Nice work! Skj.

Thanks Skorj :)
verianthomas.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 11:47:50 PM »
I love Whitecross Street  :D Great set of portraits. It's excellent seeing a set all shot on the same day and in the same location, but with a parade of different subjects. Well done!
 8) :D

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:47:22 AM »
I love Whitecross Street  :D Great set of portraits. It's excellent seeing a set all shot on the same day and in the same location, but with a parade of different subjects. Well done!
 8) :D

Thanks Ed, it was quite a rewarding day, not financially, but in many other ways :)
verianthomas.com

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »
Verian, that sounds like a great experience. I too love to do street portrait. I usually would shoot with my land camera and the rolleiflex. The Polaroid I would use it to ¨hook¨people in. I would usually offer the Polaroid in exchange of letting them take some shots, eventually some people offered to buy the Polaroids from me  ::)

By the way you can find fp100c film for less than 1$ a shot.

C.