Author Topic: I've been let out of the darkroom !  (Read 719 times)

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
I've been let out of the darkroom !
« on: August 16, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »
I've finally got my 10  11"x14" platinum images finished ready to frame for the mini exhibition. Having only ever exhibited ink jets until last month (and way way back silver) this has been a very steep learning curve.

Journey started in May with a visit to David Chow with our own Stevesegz, following that I made 15   7inch x 7 inch prints which are currently up exhibited as part of the Hailsham Art festival. I learned a lot making those prints, but did drive my wife and family mad with a  blocked up downstairs toilet with developing dishes, makeshift UV light sources and hazardous chemicals. I think the final straw came when I was caught making up platinum in a wine glass (ideal shape) although I had thoughtfully written 'TOXIC DO NOT DRINK' on it. That was it, banished from the house.

So I slowly started adapting a garage/shed/workshop building, but then got an invite to the De La Warr in Bexhill, which to my mind is 'a big deal'. There was some time pressure, and I didn't have anywhere to print as the darkroom was still half finished. Local builder mates to the rescue and we were shipshape in a fortnight, with a room that had a sink, work surfaces and was UV and dust free.

I started making the internegs for the big prints and started to make prints. I thought the 7 inch prints looked good, and they do, but the nice jewel like size hides problems. The larger prints were looking flat, grainy and a bit soft. I was also starting to get problems with patchy development, weak blacks and unpredictable flaws. The temperature and especially humidity changes were playing havoc, where as is the house things were pretty constant. Rainy days make great prints...

Softness was helped by a hastily knocked up vacuum frame, but only highlighted how bad the first set of prints were. More tweaking, especially to the negs, and a total change to the recommended proportions of platinum/palladium have got me where I want to be. I've spent pretty much every evening and weekend in the darkroom for 3 weeks solid. I've been through a shed of paper and an eye watering amount of platinum (which I import from the USA...). BUT I can now nail a print in one go, using a strict 'system' and a bit of lucky heather,  which is a great place to be, especially with the price of platinum. There is still some way to go in getting a bit more Dmax, and getting some smoother internegs, but I'm into the last 10%.  :-)

sorry if this is me, me, me but its been quite a bit of effort, but so much more satisfying than pressing 'print' on the inkjet

celebrating with a beer!

framing starts tomorrow...

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I've been let out of the darkroom !
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »
That's really great!
Building and printing, two of the best things.

Now, I think we all want to see that garage ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »
And the prints!!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 07:49:41 AM »
Awesome Dave. I'm sure I would have given up after a day or two!

stevesegz

Re: I've been let out of the darkroom !
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 05:22:23 PM »
Great story Dave, I think we have both been on a bit of a journey with this but yours has progressed much further than mine currently. I have to say that the learning has been really involving and the finished article has always really pleased me. There is something very special about the finished print even if it is not quite perfect, then what print is?

I guess that explains why we havent seen or heard from you much this summer too, lol.

I cant wait to see the prints and have to say thanks for all the advice and experience sharing so far, still think there's more to come, and a long way to go until I reach my goal of a 20x12 contact print direct from neg. Crikey that feels a long way off!

Steve
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:24:08 PM by stevesegz »
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine