Author Topic: My last roll of Kodak HIE  (Read 1968 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
My last roll of Kodak HIE
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »
Many years ago, not long before they stopped making it, I bought two rolls of Kodak HIE infrared film.
For some reason or another, I never got around to using it that summer. Either the conditions didn't seem right, or where I was going didn't seem right, or I was doing something where i shot colour, or whatever. So as the leaves fell from the trees I shoved the rolls in my freezer for the next year. But then it was 'out of sight, out of mind' and I kept not quite getting around to using them. I used one a few years ago, but there was that last roll and I was waiting for a good situation.

Last Monday I had to go into central London, so decided I should do something while I'm there. It was far too nice to go into a museum, and so it hit me that I should go to Highgate Cemetery, and if I was doing that, I should use my last roll of HIE.

lasthie-004 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

So I did. It seemed like a good idea.

lasthie-006 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

Before I set off I slapped my last roll of HIE and my Voigtlander Bessa R3A in the changing bag and loaded the film by touch, possibly wasting a frame at the start by making very sure the film was winding on OK.

lasthie-015 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

Sadly, I had a bit of a development disaster - the film was a bit loth to go into the spiral, and while in the end it seemed to have all gone in, the last wrap-around stuck to the layer inside it, so didn't get developed, and I lost about 10 frames.

lasthie-021 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

I do like the whole look of this, and it's a shame I'll probably never use any more.
Sure, there's the odd roll on the 'bay, but pricey stuff.

lasthie-008 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

Now, I do have that roll of Efke 'Aura' film in the fridge, maybe I should use that some time this summer too!

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
Re: My last roll of Kodak HIE
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
Beautiful photos. The subject and the film compliment each other very well.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »
What a great set - well worth the hassle!

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »
An excellent set. I have been shooting some Rollei infrared in a graveyard this week - with a pinhole - no idea how that will work out,  if at all. I do know that an R72 filter plus f133 gives some very long exposure times though ..

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
lovely set - so moody
love IR films !