Author Topic: A Brand New TLR!?  (Read 6858 times)

Emma

A Brand New TLR!?
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »
This popped up in my inbox earlier. Not the most attractive camera I've ever seen, and I won't be getting one myself, but I guess its nice to see a new brand producing film cameras that isn't Lomography!

http://eu.fab.com/sale/6262
twitter: @effy_yeomans

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: A Brand New TLR!?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
Actually probably about five years ago. Still new in the broader scope of camera production. Made by Superheadz.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:14:33 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »
I think a Gakkenflex is cheaper (even if you do have to make it yourself!) and has a proper TLR focusing mechanism, whereas the blackbird fly is, as far as I recall, fixed focus.

There's a Gakkenflex-alike called the Recesky, which can be had on the 'bay for a tenth the price of the Blackbird Fly.

I've had a Gakkenflex for a while and it's a nice little 'toy camera' which I've had some good results from.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »
I have a Recesky and love it!!! £9 on eBay.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
I've got a Blackbird Fly (orange model).
I must admit that it's a camera I have a Love-Hate relationship with.
The camera in itself is well built. They put a lot of effort on the styling and I must say it is gorgeous. It comes in a clear plastic dome that acts as a bird cage, very clever as it keeps the dust off when it's not in use. It shoots three formats which are well identified on the focusing glass (square-regular-regular w. sprockets).

But, it has two things I hate about it. First, they used a lens instead of a groundglass. This makes the image hard to frame as you have to look down at a precise angle to see the whole thing. Second is the rewind button which must be kept pushed when you rewind.

But apart from that, everything else is just lovely. It's also got focusing à la Lubitel and an instant/bulb button, tripod socket, sports finder, f/11 lens...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:35:18 PM »
I realize this is totally illogical, but 35mm TLRs make no sense to me. Maybe it's because I've only used medium format ones? I don't know... Either way, if I'd do it I'd go Gakken/Recesky over Blackbird Fly. I didn't know the Blackbird used a brilliant finder not ground glass—that's annoying. (What does the Gakken have?)

Emma

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »
Ah. Not brand new then. Fab were advertising it as 'the next big thing', as if TLRs have never ever been made before in history...
twitter: @effy_yeomans

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
I realize this is totally illogical, but 35mm TLRs make no sense to me. Maybe it's because I've only used medium format ones? I don't know... Either way, if I'd do it I'd go Gakken/Recesky over Blackbird Fly. I didn't know the Blackbird used a brilliant finder not ground glass—that's annoying. (What does the Gakken have?)
I don't know... probably a groundglass as it's a lot cheaper.

Not having a Gakken, I've come up with a bit of a logical sheme:

If you want a camera that look awesome, performs decently and costs  lot, go with the blackbird.
If you want a "user" type camera that looks so-so, performs good (as in lots of flaws) and costs little, go with the Gakken.

And with the Gakken, you can paint it before you assemble it so that it looks snazzy :)
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
The Gakkenflex uses this frosted plastic sheet which works like a groundglass.
Here's one I made earlier.

My Gakkenflex, assembled. by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

Here's a close focus shot to demonstrate its advantage over the BBF.

gakken021 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

One of my favourites. It does work very nicely with Ektar 100, I find.

bgflex-027 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

It does pretty much force you into shooting portrait format all the time, as if you want to shoot landscape format you have to hold it on its side and face at right-angles to the thing you want to take a picture of, I only tried this the once!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:05:25 AM by AJShepherd »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
For focus with the BBF, it's easier to rely on the distance markings on the lens. Close focus is 0.8m
Francois

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:27:12 PM »
I found the focus thing a bit annoying at first but in the end that was more down to my preconceptions. As francois mentioned ,once I just started estimating the distance and liked it for its own merits I liked using it.It is more expensive than the other plastic tlrs mentioned but I loved it on looks alone,It was my christmas present to me  etc so I got over the cost.
Obviously it shares the tlr /waist level view finder merit of not being obviously directed at the subject.I was interested in the things I hadnt got at that stage with my other cameras ie,sprockets and bulb plus a hotshoe.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
Of course it's a good thing to have more choice of film cameras. But I just don't get paying £100 for a camera with two apertures and one shutter speed. I paid the same amount for a Baby Rolleiflex and a Yashicamat (each, not together) - proper cameras with all the controls you need.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
Of course it's a good thing to have more choice of film cameras. But I just don't get paying £100 for a camera with two apertures and one shutter speed. I paid the same amount for a Baby Rolleiflex and a Yashicamat (each, not together) - proper cameras with all the controls you need.
sure, but I dunno if I think it is fair comparing a new camera to used ones like that? what does a new rolleiflex cost?
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »
And you also save on processing and film... ::)
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
But I just don't get paying £100 for a camera with two apertures and one shutter speed.

Yeah. I prefer my toy cameras to have toy prices!

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »

sure, but I dunno if I think it is fair comparing a new camera to used ones like that? what does a new rolleiflex cost?

In general I agree that comparing new vs used is not fair. However, bear in mind that my Baby Rollei is I think about 54 years old and my Yashicamat 124G about 40 years old, both still in good working condition. I've no reason to doubt that I could continue to use them for another 10 years minimum.

If a new "toy" camera can be considered to have 10 years lifespan then it's a fair comparison because for the same money, we're comparing the purchase of 10 years use.  Actually I doubt if the toy cameras would stand up to 10 years of regular use so that tips the odds even further in favour of a used TLR.  I have a Holga WPC pinhole and can't see that lasting 10 years.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:23:40 PM by KevinAllan »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
I have a Holga WPC pinhole and can't see that lasting 10 years.
Of course it will ;)
You can't scuff the lens, there are no springs to go slack, mechanics are pretty much bulletproof, easy to repair... Holgas are just like the plastic they're made of... it'll last hundreds of years before decomposing  ;D
Francois

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
Does the back falling off count as decomposing ?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »
Just partially  ;D
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »
What if we bury a Holga with a film inside and dig it in 20 years time?
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »
It'll probably just look like a dirty holga with dubious looking film in it :)

Just look at it this way: it won't rust, won't break any more than usual, can be glued back together using Plumber's ABS glue, can be infinitely fixed using tape, can be modified with a simple Xacto knife, can survive anything but heat...

The Holga is the Supergirl of cameras! :D
Francois

ambaker

A Brand New TLR!?
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 02:51:13 AM »
I don't have any new TLRs, but I do have these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Does your image show what you saw, or how you felt about what you saw?

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
Good enough! :)
/jonas

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 11:21:24 AM »
I used to have 5, now just the three (Rollei, Kallo, Flexaret). But will be up to four again when I get this baby (in kit form): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/71185779/duo-a-diy-twin-lens-reflex-camera-for-instant-film a truely new TLR. I know Urban will be building one too, it will be fun sharing experiences.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
A Brand New TLR!?
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »
Yeah, TLRs are my love, too. I have Yashica Mat, a Yashica 635, and a Rolleiflex T. Then I've ordered the Duo and I see a Flexaret in my future. And one day a working Primo Jr. The one I had sadly didn't work that well.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
A Brand New TLR!?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
And I forgot two: the Ljubitel 2 from Andrej and a red Blackbird, Fly (that I got for free!).

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
Can't be without TLRs.  But I'll stick with three.  I expect.

ambaker

A Brand New TLR!?
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 01:13:49 AM »
I always keep an eye open for more. I don't spend big money on them, but when I come across one at a flea market, or a yard sale, for a few dollars, they tend to follow me home. 
Does your image show what you saw, or how you felt about what you saw?