Author Topic: London Calling...  (Read 10761 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
London Calling...
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
Baring any unforeseen circumstances, two weeks from this morning I should be touching down in London. I have wanted to go there forever but haven't because of my severe fear of flying (I haven't been on a plane in over 20 years). But I've decided to try to get past that and visit. I'll be staying in central London, right on the Piccadilly tube line.

I have a list of specific things I want to see, but mostly I plan on just wandering around, see the sights, absorb the culture and make pictures. Right now I'm practice packing my camera bag to figure out if I can bring with me what I'd like too.

I have a few questions for all you Brits here: Are there any camera shops you can recommend in case I need to buy more film? If I decide to get my film processed while there, any pro lab suggestions? Any suggestions of good flea markets or other spots like that? Or just any other suggestions, or tips, period? (other than Yankee go home!)

Also, I'd like to possibly do some night shooting, maybe along the Thames, though since I'm unfamiliar with the place I'm a bit hesitant about that. Is there anyone up for that?

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
RE: London Calling...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
Sounds good!  Im a bit far out of London to know it very well but there used to be a snappy snaps in Soho that used to be good for film dev, no idea if its still there.  There is a place called dark side (darkslide?) near old street that i think ed used to frequent.  For camera gear try and engineer a trip to mr cad in Croydon....they have everything there.....  Sure many others will have better advice but that should get the ball rolling
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
Re: London Calling...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »
Hey there and welcome to London (in advance!)

The pro lab I used to use was Metro (http://www.metroimaging.co.uk/) though they were always expensive. I tend to send stuff off mail order these days. You could also try Aperture Photographic (http://www.apertureuk.com/) they have two shops with all sorts of gear and have started a film lab too, though I have never used it. The owner and his staff are very friendly though so I'm sure you could have a chat with them before deciding if you wanted to give them your films.

The Aperture shops are fantastic and while you're in the area you'll find a few other camera shops in the area, RG Lewis etc. I remember seeing someone had created a google map showing locations of London camera shops, I'll try and find the link.

Flea markets I'm not so up on so I can't help much. The only suggestion would be Portabello Road in Notting Hill (where they shot most of the movie of the same name) which has a lot of antique shops though it is always full of tourists and I'm sure prices would reflect this.

Hope this helps.

Moiz

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
Hi GT, amazingly I'm making the same journey in reverse at the same time (I think I remember you're in NYC?)

Shame I won't be around, meeting up to do some night photography would have been good fun.

For film, and every other sort of photographic supplies, Silverprint is the place to go. http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ A short walk from Waterloo station. At Waterloo you're near the South Bank Centre, (http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/) the world's largest arts venue on one site - gallery, music, film etc. and also Waterloo Bridge generally considered to be one of the best views in London and I would think a great place to do night photography. From there you can walk along the river to Tate Modern. (http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern) Best to avoid weekends though it gets really busy.

There are a small collection of camera shops near the British Museum, including the Camera Cafe http://www.cameracafe.co.uk/.

On the weekends there are a series of markets around Spitalfields and Brick Lane, again very busy, but you'll see plenty to shoot if you like street photography. http://www.spitalfields.co.uk/

It's easy to walk a long way in London so if you're staying for a whle get a Visitor Oyster card, you load some money on it and you can travel on the tube and buses with a swipe, like a local. http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/

All the major museums and galleries are free. There's a Man Ray exhibition on at the National Portrait Gallery, I haven't been yet but it supposed to be good.

There's masses to do and see. I think it's the best city in the world but then I'm biased!  ;)

Have fun!  :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »
Hi Nigel,
Ah too bad! I'm always looking for someone to do night shooting here in NYC as well. I do have my Oster card already and have loaded it. I'm hoping to go native and stay away from overly touristy areas if I can.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
That looks like a great starting list Nigel, thanks for posting these suggestions!

London can be pretty overwhelming to me and I live in the UK. I'll check out some of those myself when I pop down for Photographica, and make a weekend of it!

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
And here's another question: If I'm flying in to Heathrow, which side of the plane will offer the best view? I'd love a view of the Thames curving through the city (like the start of EastEnders!) Would that be the right side of the plane or the left side - I need to pick a seat assignment.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »
Gotham

I pretty much work in Central London so we can arrange a hook up if you want at some point.... Been a while since I night shot and as you can see I kinda liked the grittier parts of London. As for film, developing, markets etc etc that's all easy and Nigel has shown there's plenty to do...

Just PM anything you need to know other than seating arrangements...

Rgds

Mlr
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:13:58 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:19:32 PM »
I think the left hand side of the plane will offer the best views -  Heathrow is west of London so if you sit on the right all you'll see is Sahf Lahndan.

London has loads of markets  - Portobello (which is rammed with people on a Saturday), Greenwich (the park is nice and you have the famous Greenwich observatory of you like that sort of thing), Camden, Borough (for food) etc., etc.

If you fancy seeing abit of hidden London then wander along the canals.  Regents canal is the most famous and goes right through the city and there also the grand Union canal.  If you want to shoot architecture a wander round the City is worth a trip especially at the week end when it's almost deserted.  You could combine a visit to Spitalfields with the City as they are next to each other.  You'll aso want a curry to keep your spirits up after wandering around in p*ss poor weather so check out Brick Lane - a great place for photography day or night.

You might want to check out Don McCullin's photographs of homeless people in Aldgate (which is next to Spitalfields) to see what much of that area looked like in the 60s and early 70s - a real contrast to the steel and glass temples to Mammon being built now.

Pack an umbrella!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 07:22:28 PM »
How long are you over for Deborah? Would be good to see if we can sort out an official FW welcoming crew for an evening shooting and drinking/eating (maybe even podcast filming)

L.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
Hear Hear... We were on our best behaviour when Diane came over the pond...
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
I doubt you'd see much of the city from either side.  If you're lucky you'll fly low over Windsor and then it's straight to the ground.  If you're less lucky you could be circling over the Middlesex reservoirs for 20 minutes.  Just hope for good weather !!   ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »
I work in the City of London - near to The Tower of London and Tower Bridge - so I'd be delighted to meet up either individually or as part of a FW reception committee and show you a few of the sights and sounds. As it's my birthday on the 26th, I'm looking for an excuse to take a day or even half-day off.

If you fancy an interesting walk in the evening, I can recommend the "Jack the Ripper" walks that take in the areas where he did his murderous stuff back in 1885 (mainly Whitechapel). The tours usually start at Tower Hill Tube Station and cost about $12-15 for a couple of hours easy walking.

If you're looking for camera kit and film, look no further than Aperture (link already posted). Patrick is at the Rathbone Place shop and Richard runs the Museum Street shop. They are a 10-15 minute walk from each other on opposite sides of Tottenham Court Road. The Photographer's Gallery is a few minutes walk further west (on Ramillies Street), just off the south side Oxford Street and just east of Oxford Circus.

Aperture sells (and processes) film. However, the best place for choice to buy film (relatively) locally, in my opinion, is Silverprint. They are on the south side of the Thames, Valentine Place, near-ish to Waterloo Station. Check their opening times. Website is: http://www.silverprint.co.uk/

If you're interested in galleries and exhibitions, let me know and I'll send you a list of "what's on" in and around the city centre. There's usually loads to see. If you're here for a while and want to travel by Tube, an "Oyster" card will save you a lot of money. You buy them at Tube stations.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time over here and hope you aren't too shocked by the cost of living in the UK. Everyone tends to be surprised by the cost of food an drink. If you want to avoid being seriously ripped off - avoid Starbucks as it costs about $8 for a Latte and a Blueberry Muffin - and you'll need a translator.

Regards, Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I'll be there for about a week. A couple of my days are spoken for, but the rest I'm planning to just walk around visiting the places on my list, and hopefully making some good pictures, so I'll be able to improvise. It would be fun to meet up.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I'll be there for about a week. A couple of my days are spoken for, but the rest I'm planning to just walk around visiting the places on my list, and hopefully making some good pictures, so I'll be able to improvise. It would be fun to meet up.

Well, whist I can't speak for everyone, if you can post the days you're "available", as soon as possible, let's see whether we can organise a meet up individually or collectively. London's a hugely cosmopolitan city and, if we know roughly what you're looking for, we should be able to point you in the right direction - either metaphorically or in person.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 11:53:15 PM »
So envious..but I will be there in October so I am hoping we can do another meet up like the last time I was there! :) :)

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
Am only 30 mins from central London so would definitely be up for a welcoming party!

An added bonus is the fact that the $ is very strong against the £ at the moment so you may be in for some bargains!

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
And here's another question: If I'm flying in to Heathrow, which side of the plane will offer the best view? I'd love a view of the Thames curving through the city (like the start of EastEnders!) Would that be the right side of the plane or the left side - I need to pick a seat assignment.

Flights land at LHR sometimes from the west, in which case you'll not see London at all, but mostly from the east. The approach from the east runs south of the centre of London so a seat on the right side is most likely to give you a view.

Here's a map of the routes used. You'll be coming from the west or north west if arriving from NYC.

Of course, it will proably be raining so it makes no difference really.

If you want to watch the routes aircraft take in and out of Heathrow then try http://planefinder.net/ (zoom into heathrow) or http://webtrak.bksv.com/lhr The first one is live flights, the second one you can pick past dates. Today, they're approaching from the west because of the freezing cold winds we're getting from the east.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:05:32 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 06:06:39 PM »
Wow, what a fab site, Peter.  Never seen it before.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
Thanks for both of those, Peter. Great stuff. I have the planefinder app, a source of constant amusement and wonder!

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 03:02:04 AM »
I'll let you know as soon as things firm up. Right now I am desperately trying to arrange to get in to Highclere Castle (AKA Downton Abbey) for a visit but they say they are completely sold out for the only 2 days they are open while I'm there (3/30 & 31). I thought it was like a museum and you just walk up on the day you want to go, but it turns out the tickets are sold in advance and they say they don't have even one extra ticket. They say my only shot is to get on their standby line and if people leave before the end of the day I might be able to get in after 3PM, but no guarantees. It'll be very disappointing if I can't get onto the grounds - not to mention spending a whole day on what could be a wild goose chase. I'm hoping I can find some ticket broker that has some available. Is that legal there?

Thanks Peter! I'll try to get a seat on the right side just in case.

@Paul: Is the dollar strong? Last week when I checked it was $1.61 to a £1. Is that good?

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
@Paul: Is the dollar strong? Last week when I checked it was $1.61 to a £1. Is that good?

Have just checked and it seems to be $1.49 = £1. Before the economy went tits up it was nearly $2 = £1

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »
This is fantastic news; it would be wonderful to meet up. Nigel and the guys have already given you a ton of useful info, so I won't bother with any more suggestions for now.

What I think we should concentrate on (as long as you don't feel like you're being press-ganged into anything) is to sort out an "as official as it gets" Filmwasters evening together to welcome you to Blighty and maybe do some night shooting afterwards for those who can hang around.

Depending on your availability it might make sense to arrange a meet early in your trip so that you can pick everyone's brains about cool places to walk and shoot during the remaining days of your stay. If this sounds like a good idea, just let us know which the earliest evening is that you have free and we'll sort out a good place to meet up.

Diane: This is great news. Don't forget to give us a decent amount of warning re your travel plans so we can arrange a reception worthy of you  :D

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
I'm up in London on the 23/3/2012, to see this  http://www.somersethouse.org.uk/visual-arts/landmark-the-fields-of-photography

as well as take my Holga shooting daughter to the new London Dungeon

would be up for a meet up that day, or another if suits, if that Saturday will be a short hello as I'm not sure how up for it my 11 yr old will be ;-)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »
So envious..but I will be there in October so I am hoping we can do another meet up like the last time I was there! 

Great to hear you're coming back Diane, we must arrange to meet up. Annette wants to come too and say Hi!

website

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »
OK, my schedule is starting to shape up. Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday could work out for a meet up. On one of those days (probably Tuesday, not sure yet) I'll likely be seeing the town riding around town in a black cab, with an acquaintance (who's cabby) as he picks up fares. I won't know when for sure til I get there on Sunday. Please let me know if you'd like to meet up.

According to the map, the Mall that leads to Buckingham Palace is closed to traffic on Sundays so I thought that would be a fun thing to do on my first day is to go out for a walk up the Mall and hopefully get some good pictures of that. It turns out I'm going to be doing a lot of Instagraming while there as well. The PBS station I blog for has asked me to send them some pics of my adventures in London for their twitter & Instagram feeds which should be fun.

Right now, I'm still studying the map of London I got, looking to see where all the places I want to see are, and building a list of gluten free restaurants so I can eat! Also packing! My camera bag weighs a ton so I'm trying to edit it down to the bare essentials. The plans are great as they help distract me from having to think about actually getting on the plane!

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »
And one more question: Has anyone flown internationally with film recently? I'm hoping to have my film hand inspected so I know I'll need to take everything out of the boxes and the 35mm rolls out of the canisters; but will I also have to take the 120 film out of the individual foil wrappers? Any luck getting hand inspections? Any tips?

Thanks!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »
There was a thread on air travelling recently, and you can guess how many divergent opinions !!

I always say stuff your film into clear plastic bags, (one for unused, one for exposed) and keep it in your hand luggage.  For me, virtually all of my hand luggage is made up of camera gear and snacks.  It will get far more radiation during the flight than it will through the regular security scanner.

At Schiphol last year they asked me to open my flight bag.  "And this, Sir," said the security man holding up my 1934 Rolleiflex, "This is also a camera?"

Greg Bartley

• sheet film !
    • my day job.
London Calling...
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »
at my worst I always shot a test roll to take on a trip and another to leave behind then process both both before processingbthevtrips film !
It made me feel much better and the difference was VERY minor but there was no high asa film either and all E6.
Greg Bartley

greg@gregbartley.com

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
And one more question: Has anyone flown internationally with film recently? I'm hoping to have my film hand inspected so I know I'll need to take everything out of the boxes and the 35mm rolls out of the canisters; but will I also have to take the 120 film out of the individual foil wrappers? Any luck getting hand inspections? Any tips?

Thanks!

You won't need to take 120 film out of the wrappers.  If you are carrying the film as hand luggage it is quite safe to put it through the scanners.

Greg Bartley

• sheet film !
    • my day job.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
not all X-ray machines are created equal Charles in my experience.  Its better than what it used to be but still a worry in various places.
Greg Bartley

greg@gregbartley.com

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »

Thanks!

We flew from Heathrow to Doha (Qatar) and on to Colombo (Sri Lanka) and Heathrow to Marrakesh in the last couple of years. I took loads of 100 and 400 ISO film and had absolutely no trouble whatsoever. Keep your film in your hand-luggage - as suggested previously.

Once you know what day you'll be available in London, please let me know and I'd love to meet up.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
Hi GT - I've had film hand checked a couple of years ago on a trip to Portland, OR via Vancover - so two hand checks each way, they'll do it but they weren't very happy about it. I've decided not to bother this time, I'm going to take a few films in my hand luggage and buy the rest in B&H. Film seems generally cheaper in the US, which is good for this trip but not in general!

My wife is gluten free so I understand your pain there. We tend to eat in places that naturally GF (lots of rice etc) rather than finding particular restaurants. There's a very good bread here called Genius which is available in most supermarkets and Waitrose do a very good ready made Gf sandwich if you're stuck for a snack. http://tinyurl.com/czo4yzq

Hope you have a great trip, if you have any suggestions for places to visit, eat or shoot in NYC I'd be pleased to hear them!  :)

website

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
Hi GT - I've had film hand checked a couple of years ago on a trip to Portland, OR via Vancover - so two hand checks each way, they'll do it but they weren't very happy about it. I've decided not to bother this time, I'm going to take a few films in my hand luggage and buy the rest in B&H. Film seems generally cheaper in the US, which is good for this trip but not in general!

Hope you have a great trip, if you have any suggestions for places to visit, eat or shoot in NYC I'd be pleased to hear them!  :)

When you're at B&H please let me know. I work there in the Event Space so stop by and say hi.

As for gluten free here:  There are bunch of GF restaurants. The best IMO is the gf Italian place Bistango on 3rd Ave near 27th street. Also, Five Napkin Burger, GREAT place and they understand GF and have a separate GF menu and all their staff is trained about it. For something quick & cheap there is Chipotle Mexican Grill (which are all over the place). The only thing there that has gluten are the flour tortillas, so when you go in you say you are gluten free and your server will change their gloves for you to make your meal. And you can find GF snacks in lots of markets including Whole Foods.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
When you're at B&H please let me know. I work there in the Event Space so stop by and say hi.

Unfortunately it's next week, we're going to be passing each other somewhere over the mid-atlantic! I've just realised B&H is closed all week for Passover, that's shot my travel-light plans in the foot. I'm going to have to find somewhere else to pick up some film.

As for gluten free here:  There are bunch of GF restaurants. The best IMO is the gf Italian place Bistango on 3rd Ave near 27th street. Also, Five Napkin Burger, GREAT place and they understand GF and have a separate GF menu and all their staff is trained about it. For something quick & cheap there is Chipotle Mexican Grill (which are all over the place). The only thing there that has gluten are the flour tortillas, so when you go in you say you are gluten free and your server will change their gloves for you to make your meal. And you can find GF snacks in lots of markets including Whole Foods.

Bistango sounds great, thanks for the tip. It's only about 10 years since Annette's had pizza that isn't home made, we're going to definitely be checking that out. Thanks.

website

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
Sounds like plans are going nicely! I will let everyone know when I will be over! I am already counting the days, weeks, months! And next year we are doing the Camino De Santiago walk so I have lots to plan for..

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »

Unfortunately it's next week, we're going to be passing each other somewhere over the mid-atlantic! I've just realised B&H is closed all week for Passover, that's shot my travel-light plans in the foot. I'm going to have to find somewhere else to pick up some film.

Bistango sounds great, thanks for the tip. It's only about 10 years since Annette's had pizza that isn't home made, we're going to definitely be checking that out. Thanks.

LOL, yes, you'll have a tough time buying film in NYC during Passover! The only place I'd recommend is FotoCare on 22nd street. Their prices aren't great but they'll probably be the only place open.

And if Annette is looking for GF pizza, I haven't yet found any that tastes as good as the real thing, but there's a place downtown called Keste that you could try (I've heard it's good). Then there are a couple of Naked Pizza places around town. They have both regular and GF. It's not great (ie; not real NY pizza, but it will do (ask for extra cheese).

Terry

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
Nigel, Bleecker Photo (on Bleecker Street just east of Broadway) has a great stock of 35mm film.  You can also try K&M Camera on Broadway below Canal Street.  If there's anything special you want to have, let me know and I'll bring it into the city...I can get stuff from B&H before they close.  A poor substitute for the madness that is the B&H experience, I know.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:53 AM »
...I can get stuff from B&H before they close.  A poor substitute for the madness that is the B&H experience, I know.

LOL, yes, it is a zoo right before a holiday, with everyone rushing in to stock up. It's like a supermarket before a blizzard.

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
...I can get stuff from B&H before they close.  A poor substitute for the madness that is the B&H experience, I know.

LOL, yes, it is a zoo right before a holiday, with everyone rushing in to stock up. It's like a supermarket before a blizzard.

I can only imagine! The place is quite the sight all on it's own. it is HUGE!
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »
Gotham Tomato: Tuesdays aren't great for me, so unless anyone else has a better idea, shall we pencil in the Wednesday of your trip for a meet?

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
Nigel, Bleecker Photo (on Bleecker Street just east of Broadway) has a great stock of 35mm film.  You can also try K&M Camera on Broadway below Canal Street.  If there's anything special you want to have, let me know and I'll bring it into the city...I can get stuff from B&H before they close.  A poor substitute for the madness that is the B&H experience, I know.

Thanks Terry, We're there Sunday and I've realised B&H will still be open so hopefully I can persuade Annette that's where she wants to spend the first day of her holiday! I've added Bleecker Photo on my map for checking out. I'll PM you in the next couple of days with our plans.

website

Terry

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
Where else could she possibly want to go? ;)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »
Gotham Tomato: Tuesdays aren't great for me, so unless anyone else has a better idea, shall we pencil in the Wednesday of your trip for a meet?

Yes, Wednesday will work. Paul (Late Developer) mentioned he works near Tower Bridge. Maybe we can meet in that area and do a night shoot there if anyone is interested?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:49:42 AM by gothamtomato »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »

Yes, Wednesday will work. Paul (Late Developer) mentioned he works near Tower Bridge. Maybe we can meet in that area and do a night shoot there if anyone is interested?

I work literally 5 minute walk from Tower Bridge underground station - which is right on the south-eastern edge of the City of London. Easy access to The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, great views to "The Shard" and down the Thames. The City of London (including The Gherkin, Lloyds and all the other tall buildings) will be lit up around dusk - about 6pm this time of year. It will be busy with commuters, though....

Other options include a river cruise, Jack the Ripper Walk, head off to Canary Wharf / Docklands. The Olympic Village is a building site again, so pevious little chance to get any shots down there at present....

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
Can someone clarify which Wednesday this is. I might be able to make it but I'm a bit confused which week we're talking about.

Hang on, I think it's making sense. So Wednesday the 27th. Yeah? A week today.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:13:43 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
Hang on, I think it's making sense. So Wednesday the 27th. Yeah? A week today.

I hope so, Peter, as that's the day for which I've just put in a request for a day's holiday  :)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
OK. Maybe I can arrange to be working in London that day. No promises but I'll see what I can do.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 03:51:12 AM »

I work literally 5 minute walk from Tower Bridge underground station - which is right on the south-eastern edge of the City of London. Easy access to The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, great views to "The Shard" and down the Thames. The City of London (including The Gherkin, Lloyds and all the other tall buildings) will be lit up around dusk - about 6pm this time of year. It will be busy with commuters, though....

Great! I really would love to get some classic images of Tower Bridge and that area - not late at night, but soon after sundown when there's still some color in the sky. According to the 10-day forecast it's going to be pretty cold, but as of now it doesn't look like it's going to be rainy.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
Yep - mostly sunny but cold seems to be the consensus for 27/03 from the few weather web sites I've looked at. 

I'm intending to take the day off (my birthday the day before) and do a bit some touristy stuff / photoghraphy - so I'm available as a guide any or all of Wednesday.

If Deborah or anyone else is available on Weds, please drop me a PM and I'll let you have my contact details so we can arrange to meet up at a mutually convenient time / venue.

Looking forward to it. Should be fun.....